Raker Depth Gauge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Striven82

Just a guy trying to learn
Reaction score
I'm looking for a/some raker depth gauges - progressive style. I'm having a heck of a time finding any that would work for a .325 pixel chain. I like the Stihl fl1 through fl5 series, but they appear to be unobtainium. I also need one for regular 3/8, and 3/8 low pro. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

I use the Westcoast saw raker plates, work well for me. I have them for all the different chains I run or sharpen

Husqvarna actually offers several different types. The roller guides are nice if you are new to filing chains as they help you keep the angles and depth of the file in the cutter about right. Ideally any depth gauge tool will be "progressive" so the depth gauges get progressively lower as the tooth gets filed back. Simply dropping the depth gauge to the same clearance every time will result in slower cutting as the chain teeth get shorter.

20231213_081006.jpg

20231213_081137.jpg

File plates are also good tools that help keep the angles and the depth of the file in the cutter correct. They are available for different sizes and types of chain, but do not work on every chain out there. The end with the angle is for the tooth, the other end is a progressive depth gauge.

20230108_134059.jpg

20231213_082746.jpg

20220407_151447.jpg

1702478718206.png

Mark

Who has the trademark on pixel?

The Husqvarna roller guide for the .325nk has a progressive gauge attached essentially same in the picture in post 4 above. Look at the top horizontal one in post 5. I have used that kind and held the end away from the filing up a constant amount.

Latest posts

Back