vermeer 352 stumpgrinder Turbo charger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had my turbo charger fail recently on my 352 stump grinder. It has a Diahatsu Diesel 34 HP engine, Model 58A447 0234 E2. It runs but smokes like crazy, the residue dries up so I guess it is carbon. The thing that stumps me is that I sprayed some carb cleaner on the area around the turbo to clean it up so I could find some identification numbers and the smoke went wild. Don't know how it got into the turbo. It may have a leaky hose or gasket. I don't see any obvious paces it could penetrate, but it apparently did. Anyway, I think I am going to have the turbo rebuilt or maybe get a new one, need the tax break. anyone happen to know what turbo charger is on this engine or where I could get it? I assume I'll need it when I go looking for someone to work on it.

You should rebuild it. The problem is Daihatsu has discontinued that engine and parts are not available.
Vermeer isn't any help either.
You might want to do an Ebay search.

Thanks Caltree. I'm afraid to play with turbo chargers, but I played around with it yesterday and think I can work it out. The impeller shaft has a lot of play so I guess I'm replacing the Turbo. Fortunately, I have another blown Diahatsu laying around and that turbo seems fine so I'll put that on and see what happens, then I will see if I can find someone who will rebuild the one I took off. My problem in this area is that I can't find anyone who will work on the stump grinder. I would have just bought a new one, $1400 plus tubes and hoses, but it's hard to find the correct parts because the vermeer parts are all exclusive and you can't find compatible replacements. It would be nice if someone made a comparability chart of the parts.

I spend a lot of time looking for after-market and surplus parts. There is a lot of info out there if you look. Many dealers on Ebay publish extensive compatibility lists for their parts.
Not always sure if I can trust it but so far I have not been burned. Regardless it sure is easier than driving from shop to shop and searching wrecking yards like we use to have to do.

Oh, and don't get rid of your spare engine. For that matter if you come across more buy them. There are a lot of those 352's out there and they will all needs parts eventually.

If I could get the correct specs for the parts, I'd have a lot more luck. But you probably already know that vermeer wont give them out most of the parts only have the vermeer part number on them. I do occasionally luck out with a manufacturing number, but mostly not. I appreciate the comment, encourages me.

Yes I kept the spare engine and encouraged the guy that I bought it from to keep me in mind if he came across another. Came very close to sending the blown engine back for the core deposit but lost a turbo charger on one of my machines before putting it in the mail. It's too bad, because with the revolution wheel on it, I love the way they cut. I have a couple of them and always looking for parts.

Thanks Dave, I'll get back to you when I get the old turbo off and can look at it. I have a set of numbers in my repair manual that I wrote down, but I'm not sure where they came from. It says IHI turbo, Spec RHF 3 U038 0401, 26 48 8B, 17200 97202K. I'm pretty sure I took those numbers off aa blown engine that I had laying around, exact same engine.

The engine was sold as a Briggs and Stratton. Try them, they should be holding parts.
We replaced one of ours with an aftermarket turbo and it was the same make [IHI] with a different no. Any Diesel Injector shop should be able to source them.
They don't like dirty oil, it will destroy the bearing surfaces really quickly. 100 hrs is the max between changes, earlier in hot climates, and don't use crap oil. They are Japanese and built to fine tolerances.

I was able to find the part number for the IHI turbo from a previous sale. I can get a new turbo for $1,050.71 plus freight.

If you have any questions, please contact me at the number below.

Thanks,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

So I took a used turbo off an old engine I had replaced, same engine. It worked great for a month or so, then it started spewing out black smoke again, but only when the cutter wheel was actually cutting wood. It didn't smoke at all when the motor was running without the wheel engaged and when it was, when you lift the wheel away from the wood, it stopped. Probably going to call Dave for a new turbo, but I hate to put a new one on and it last only a month. Don't know anything about turbos and am hoping someone will be able to tell me to check some 50 cent part before I go any further. When I changed the turbo, I didn't get new hoses or pipes for the turbo, but changed all the gaskets and used all the hoses and pipes from the used working turbo. I did wonder how to clean out all the carbon that must of been left from when the original turbo had a catastrophic failure and spewed copious amounts of smoke out. Hoping someone will call me an idiot and tell me what I forgot, this is going to get very expensive I'm thinking.

So I took a used turbo off an old engine I had replaced, same engine. It worked great for a month or so, then it started spewing out black smoke again, but only when the cutter wheel was actually cutting wood. It didn't smoke at all when the motor was running without the wheel engaged and when it was, when you lift the wheel away from the wood, it stopped. Probably going to call Dave for a new turbo, but I hate to put a new one on and it last only a month. Don't know anything about turbos and am hoping someone will be able to tell me to check some 50 cent part before I go any further. When I changed the turbo, I didn't get new hoses or pipes for the turbo, but changed all the gaskets and used all the hoses and pipes from the used working turbo. I did wonder how to clean out all the carbon that must of been left from when the original turbo had a catastrophic failure and spewed copious amounts of smoke out. Hoping someone will call me an idiot and tell me what I forgot, this is going to get very expensive I'm thinking.

Sounds like you might have a [over fueling condition]but before we go there a few things to check,check air filter and intake hose to turbo,check for restriction like intake hose colasping,pull intake hose off turbo and see if turbo turning freely,and not scraping against the housing.Not familure with the set up but if it has a wastegate valve see if it moves freely,if it has a wastegate valve there will be a diaphram with a rod going to the turbo housing and also a hose running from the turbo to the diaphram.If the wastegate is stuck open,turbo will no build up boost, and not giving engine enough air under load,it will be over fueling under load.When you replaced the old turbo,was it sucking oil out of base causing black smoke,was the bearings gone causing the turbo vains to bind on the housing?If you check oil and is making oil ,which means it is rising on dip stick,you might have a bad injector,or pump over fueling,but you would have black smoke all the time.You might want to check hose and clamps from the pressure side of the turbo to the intake for cracks and leaks.

I don't know how long the old turbo was sitting. In most cases a bearing in the turbo goes bad. You can check the fan in the turbo by grabbing the stem coming through the fan and see if you feel any play. This will tell you that the bearing is bad. Also, check the blades on the fan. If you see the ends of the blades are shiney, too much dirt has been passing through the air filters and the fan is bad as well.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400

I don't know how long the old turbo was sitting. In most cases a bearing in the turbo goes bad. You can check the fan in the turbo by grabbing the stem coming through the fan and see if you feel any play. This will tell you that the bearing is bad. Also, check the blades on the fan. If you see the ends of the blades are shiney, too much dirt has been passing through the air filters and the fan is bad as well.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400
The turbo shaft should have a few thousandths end and up and down play,but like Dave said if the intake fan side of the turbo is pitted and shinny thats a bad sign, also if you pull the the hose from the intake to the turbo and is oil soaked,that means oil is bypassing the bearing and going directly into the engine and will eventually cause engine to run away cause it's getting it's own supply of fuel.

The turbo I [ut in only sat for a month or so in doors and the shaft had no play at all when I installed it. As for the other stuff, I haven't had time to check it out yet but I really really appreciate the advise. It started coming on very fast like maybe some of the carbon build up from the last turbo failure got sucked in or caused a fuel blockage somewhere. Would a fouled glow plug or a bad glow plug cause too much fuel to not burn and cause the smoke? I did change the glow plugs the other day and it started right up and didn't smoke, but I haven't put the cutter to wood yet, so I don't know if it had any effect.

I just reviewed all the previous posts and I don't think the glow plugs would cause the smoke. If I'm not mistaking, a bad glow plug would effect the starting of the engine and possibly running the engine in very cold weather. I think the glow plug only works when you pre-heat the fuel for cold starts. I had a thought that it could be an injector however, it should produce white or blue smoke. I just don't think the turbo is spooling up under a load.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks. I'm not sure what the term "Spooling up" means. Does it mean that the turbo is not operating fast enough to handle the fuel out put? Maybe the fuel comng in too fast or the turbo not spinning or operating fast enough? Hope that is not a stupid question. I have no idea how turbos work.

There are no stupid questions. It means that the turbo isn't working under a load. Usually, you will hear a little whistle when the turbo is working. You might hear it on a diesel truck when the driver steps on the pedal. If you're not hearing that, the turbo isn't working.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Back