Weird Heated Handle Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jet47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was using my Husqvarna 550 today and a funny thing happened. First tank after lunch I started the saw and about 5 minutes in the rear handle was so hot I could see a faint trail of smoke. The heated handle switch was off and the front handle was cool, only handle by the throttle was hot.
When I investigated the smoke was caused by the element melting right into the plastic.
Am I safe in assuming there is a dead short in the wiring before it gets to the switch causing all power to go through the rear handle only?
Also does the wiring for heated handles go from the fly wheel to the rear handle and then to the switch?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

John

I do have a multimeter. Took a quick look in the woods and everything looked normal, except for the element melting right into the plastic handle.

Is this possibly covered under warranty? If not, the parts are expensive to replace.

Yes a short. I fixed a 357 xpg for a guy that said it was getting too hot as well the saw was vibrating bad. It was a new saw and the shop put on a full wrap. Took about 10 minutes to fix him up. Turned out the saw shop put the long bolts in the front which were hitting the case. They managed to pinch the wires with the handle bar wire cover with the lower to bolts.

I don't really know these new saws.
Could be your regulator in the alternator over charging the battery causing the plates to touch? Do you see any swelling in the sides or end of the battery? Any acid on the top?
How about the gauges..what were they reading?

If the saw doesn't have any of these things then just disregard this post.:dizzy:

I don't really know these new saws.
Could be your regulator in the alternator over charging the battery causing the plates to touch? Do you see any swelling in the sides or end of the battery? Any acid on the top?
How about the gauges..what were they reading?

If the saw doesn't have any of these things then just disregard this post.:dizzy:
How about a solar panel on top of a saw. Go Green.

Was using my Husqvarna 550 today and a funny thing happened. First tank after lunch I started the saw and about 5 minutes in the rear handle was so hot I could see a faint trail of smoke. The heated handle switch was off and the front handle was cool, only handle by the throttle was hot.
When I investigated the smoke was caused by the element melting right into the plastic.
Am I safe in assuming there is a dead short in the wiring before it gets to the switch causing all power to go through the rear handle only?
Also does the wiring for heated handles go from the fly wheel to the rear handle and then to the switch?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

John
I think we are all from the north here with the exception of Big Block. I see you are from Nova Scotia John. The 357 I spoke of was for a bunch of the good ol' boys from Newfoundland that I knew from many Seismic jobs over the years.

Some of them have a split on the main power lead. So you are right that they would get direct power but I do believe in order to complete the circuit it would have to go through the diode way of the switch (plate in the carb) with the 3 series Husqvarna's.
9 out of 10 it's that plate when the system doesn't work. You can test the switch and diode by taking it off the carb and putting the carb back on and holding it between the fingers. (Perhaps for future reference)I can't remember if the short I delt with was only with the switch on? I think It was. You may have other reasons why the front wasn't working???....something unplugged? or a break in the front membrane element that should run through the front handlebar under the plastic coating maybe? Maybe the switch is broke and a short in the back? IDK. I would take the back element out and inspect everything on it and figure out what was going on before you throw it? Take it out and try plug it in and make sure it has ground.
Next eliminate it completely then go through the switch and carb plate if needed and see if it's all working properly. Perhaps the system is a bit different? IDK let us know what's going on .

Latest posts

Back