026 heated handle troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrosaw

Reaction score
Hello folks, new here but I've been reading this forum for a few years now. 10 years ago I brought my 26 stihl arctic VW. A couple of seasons later, (I had a stumble off idle that the dealer couldn't fix), I replaced the carb with a WT-194 which solved the stumble then I did the muffler mod. A big thank-you to the knowledgeable people of this site.The saw now cuts and limbs like it should except for one thing...
The heated handles just get warm not hot like they used to when new. I have the shop manual and both heating elements and the generator check out within spec resistance wise as does the wiring, switch and chassis ground connection. Max rpm is set to 14 000 with a pulse tach. I considered that the ring magnet in the flywheel might have weakened so I replaced it. Same result. I then replaced the generator, cleaning behind it and replaced the wiring harness from the generator and coil back to the switch and rear handle heating element. Still no improvement.
At 14ooo rpm, the saw is generating 22 volts ac which results in 2 amps of current and 44 watts. Does anyone have the voltage spec on stihls heating system? Or have a heated handle 26 and a multimeter? Any ideas very welcome.

23V@10,000 if I recall correctly. What does your heating elements actually measure? Total resistance should be around 8 ohms.

Heating elements are 1.6 ohms for the rear and 7.8 for the front handle which is new. Thanks for the info.

Your front handle bar resistance sounds very high, my manual says 1.8 - 2.2 ohms but I am no expert on this subject. I have 6 Arctic model saws that have served me well, The most often problems others have had with the heat is the rear pad losing its adhesion to the lower plastic handle,thus losing heat transfer capability and the ground not making good contact with chafed wires thrown in the mix or a broken wire at the front handle. Hope you get it sorted out soon, this time of year is when I appreciate mine most.

Thanks for the reply pioneer guy. My father had a pioneer when I was a kid. Nice saws. The front handle resistance is within the stihl spec and it's a new handle. I've been fighting this problem on and off for a year now. On a cold morning, -30 with the windchill, heated handles are the cats ass. My wifes brothers are all professional cutters/loggers and laugh at my heated handles but I'm the one with warm hands.

Back