Adding heated handle to Stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DP425

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever added the heated handle to Stihl Saws?

I’ve got a couple MS 241’s, which are available with heated handles in Europe. I’d love to be able to add them to one of my 241’s, and a 261.

It appears the handle, a bit of wiring, switch, and a new flywheel are required?

I could always sell the 261 and get the arctic version- supposedly, my local shop can order them. But, the 241 is obviously out of the question… unless I ordered another one from Europe, which would be rather costly.

I’d love to have it on my MS400 as well, but that isn’t an option, anywhere it appears.

Btw, I’m inquiring on this subject as I had two fingers on my left hand amputated at about the half way mark. They do very poorly in the cold, no matter how good the gloves. Cold weather and amputated parts are like oil and water. The reduced circulation caused by cold can actually damage tissue and require more to be cut off.

I’ve got a couple MS 241’s, which are available with heated handles in Europe. I’d love to be able to add them to one of my 241’s, and a 261.

It appears the handle, a bit of wiring, switch, and a new flywheel are required?

I could always sell the 261 and get the arctic version- supposedly, my local shop can order them. But, the 241 is obviously out of the question… unless I ordered another one from Europe, which would be rather costly.

I’d love to have it on my MS400 as well, but that isn’t an option, anywhere it appears.

Btw, I’m inquiring on this subject as I had two fingers on my left hand amputated at about the half way mark. They do very poorly in the cold, no matter how good the gloves. Cold weather and amputated parts are like oil and water. The reduced circulation caused by cold can actually damage tissue and require more to be cut off.

MS 362 and 462 are available here with heated handles too. My 500i has it as well. Afaik a retrofit is pretty expensive and usually not cost effective.

MS 362 and 462 are available here with heated handles too. My 500i has it as well. Afaik a retrofit is pretty expensive and usually not cost effective.
I’m usually really good at researching before I buy…

But for some reason, heated handles never occurred to me. In the last two months I’ve bought, brand new, 241 (from the UK), 261, 400 and 500. A little frustrating to realize this is a feature I really could have used, but didn’t think to looking into availability.

You’ll need the generator as well.

I’m usually really good at researching before I buy…

But for some reason, heated handles never occurred to me. In the last two months I’ve bought, brand new, 241 (from the UK), 261, 400 and 500. A little frustrating to realize this is a feature I really could have used, but didn’t think to looking into availability.

All 500is have heated handles here in Norway, but it's pretty cold here in winter. Heated gloves or mittens are an option and they are starting to get pretty decent and not too expensive compared to chainsaws.

If you want them, the cry in a philosophy may apply here: order one with heat from overseas and be done with it.

I still want a 543xpg. Just can’t get myself to pull the trigger at $850 to my door from Europe…plus porting once it gets here…I wish they would just sell them here.

Heated gloves as mentioned above are going to be a whole lot easier and cheaper to find.
It's nice working in thinner gloves, plus the carb heat feature is nice in certain conditions. Especially in the midwest US where it is snowy, humid and cold.
The climate is just miserable and I don't miss it one bit!

Latest posts

Back