Well I f&@ked it and then f&@ked some more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmguywithasaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I was rebuilding my ms310 and got it together and fired it up. Ran good shut it down when two start again and herd a snap. After that no resistance on the pull cord. Long story short the threaded portion of the crank that holds the flywheel on broke off. So either take it all apart and get an new crank and flywheel or make a new flywheel key and drill and tap a hole in the crank and thread a stud in and weld it to the crank. Runs good so far lol

I did similar to a SP125c when the threads on the clutch side broke off. I machined a guide to fit over the crank and center on the taper that was left, then drilled and tapped for left hand threads. I used a high strength allen head bolt and then tightened with a nut on the bolt. worked fine. DSCN3939.JPGDSCN3940.JPGDSCN3942.JPG

I think I’m going to quit being so lazy and not use drivers on this stuff strictly by hand from now on

Yeah. Probably for the best doing it that way. Someone should invent a tool that tells you how much you're tightening a fastener. Real men and "mechanics" wont use it, but some one like me, who struggles with simple repairs might.

I did similar to a SP125c when the threads on the clutch side broke off. I machined a guide to fit over the crank and center on the taper that was left, then drilled and tapped for left hand threads. I used a high strength allen head bolt and then tightened with a nut on the bolt. worked fine. View attachment 808940View attachment 808941View attachment 808942
I had a buddy that was working on a bigger McCulloch that didnt know the crank had left hand threads on one side. He went to take off the clutch or flywheel with a brand new unfamiliar impact wrench and snapped the end of the crank off. I always wondered if I could fix it by doing the exact same trick with the allen bolt. Might have to give him a call and try it out!

When one does not have a calibrated wrist a torque wrench can be ones friend. A 3/8" and 1/4" drive will cover all the torques used on chainsaws. The 1/2" and 3/4" drive are way over kill.

3/4" breaker bar comes in handy for those pesky clutches that won't come off. Of course you need the 3/4-1/2-3/8 adapters..........:laugh:

Back