Went to Sears last night..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started buying NOS tools on ebay 4 years ago. I needed a good 12" adjustable wrench for work. Found a NIB Diamond brand, black oxide finish. Like others have said, the weight, feel and movement are right. I enjoy using my tools I'll always buy quality. Craigslist has offered up some real nice old school tools too.

I have my collection of broken sockets, then I have my SK's. Not a big fan of the wrenches though, they are slippery mothers.

Wright, some Williams, Armstrong, most SK are all made in the US. No need to pay Snappy's silly high prices unless your into that. No criticism, just my choice not to pay 200-400% of the going rate for US made tools.

Cman going China is old news. At the moment their screwdrivers and large pliers are still made in the USA. At the moment.

Taiwan made tools are currently in the sweet spot for price vs value. Me, I like SK and buy it as much as possible. In the 90's they made some not so great quality tools, after a couple more changes of ownership they got their act together again.

Ebay has some great values and some not so great ones. I just picked up a set of SK short offset metric SuperKrome wrenches for $43 incl. shipping, Amazon has it for $120. Seller was blowing out over a dozen sets, I'm guessing mil surplus.

-HF

I've heard plenty of horror stories about E-Bay and how business is conducted.

I've been a member there since 2001. Of all my transactions (over 100) I've only had one minor bad experience. Bought something listed as new, but showed up slightly used. Seller begrudgingly gave me a partial refund.

It's my go to site for research, searches and information. :bowdown:

I've got more tools that Guido has chainsaws. Most were purchased used although I've purchased lots of new ones too. I have about any brand imaginable and have thousands of sockets. I have an inventory of tools that are on my shop mezzanine that is just spares. I help out young guys with tool sets when they volunteer here at our ministry. My sons have tool sets that I didn't have until I was in my 40's and collecting them for 25 years...
I use tools appropriate to the job so sometimes it has to be Snap On and sometimes Harbor Freight will do. Craftsman/SK are sort of the median of my assortment. I use Milwaukee for electric power tools (sorry, not impressed with Dewalt). Prefer Ingersoll Rand for air tools, like Estwing hammers, Milton tire gauges and so forth. I have used most brands of tools so know which ones are decent. For instance, I don't buy Vice Grips unless they say Vice Grip on them. Same with Channellocks. Good tools are important if everything else is going down the toilet.

I've got more tools that Guido has chainsaws. Most were purchased used although I've purchased lots of new ones too. I have about any brand imaginable and have thousands of sockets. I have an inventory of tools that are on my shop mezzanine that is just spares. I help out young guys with tool sets when they volunteer here at our ministry. My sons have tool sets that I didn't have until I was in my 40's and collecting them for 25 years...
I use tools appropriate to the job so sometimes it has to be Snap On and sometimes Harbor Freight will do. Craftsman/SK are sort of the median of my assortment. I use Milwaukee for electric power tools (sorry, not impressed with Dewalt). Prefer Ingersoll Rand for air tools, like Estwing hammers, Milton tire gauges and so forth. I have used most brands of tools so know which ones are decent. For instance, I don't buy Vice Grips unless they say Vice Grip on them. Same with Channellocks. Good tools are important if everything else is going down the toilet.
I wasn't ever impressed with DeWalt either, but I do really like the new drill. And for Hammers it's always estwing.

For me I like vintage vaughan wood handled hammers, vintage blue points (usa made) and estwings of course. haven't used a stiletto hammer yet but do own a couple vintage stiletto axes and they are superb in the quality department. that's another thing I appreciate is a quality made ax especially vintage true temper axes (another brand of yesteryear that went downhill) here are my axes all quality made vintage and an old disston crosscut, the first is my stiletto double bit that i restored and in the second picture are the rest all restored by me (thrift stores and antique stores around here are where I got most), the second hatchet is an old estwing (has the nail puller) that I made the stacked wooden handle for as the leather dry rotted awhile ago
465.JPG axes.jpg

Just bought a bunch of Dewalt made in USA cordless tools their out their just got to look

Dad bought a Sears Craftsman 3/4" Socket Set in 1961. Sometime in the 70's he broke the Ratchet Drive. I took it to Sears Customer Service for the 'Lifetime Guarantee', and the elderly lady snapped back at me, that they didn't replace that tool, but repaired it, and took it into the back. She returned, and laid it on the counter, and said, they don't have kits to repair it.
Fortunately, another clerk walked up, and said: "Yes, we replace those ratchets ", and took it out the doors, and returned with a brand spanking new one. The old lady snorted, and walked off.

I like my Vaughan california framer a lot. 21 ounces of well balanced steel and hickory.
I agree, really can drive nails with an accurate swing. I have a NOS Vaughan framing hammer head that has to be around 30-35 years old that's never been hung on a handle that's probably gonna stay that way lol

Dad bought a Sears Craftsman 3/4" Socket Set in 1961. Sometime in the 70's he broke the Ratchet Drive. I took it to Sears Customer Service for the 'Lifetime Guarantee', and the elderly lady snapped back at me, that they didn't replace that tool, but repaired it, and took it into the back. She returned, and laid it on the counter, and said, they don't have kits to repair it.
Fortunately, another clerk walked up, and said: "Yes, we replace those ratchets ", and took it out the doors, and returned with a brand spanking new one. The old lady snorted, and walked off.

I've had to return tools to Sears every once in a while. One thing I learned long ago, is that most of their employees don't know squat about their tools. Found that to be true more times than not.

When I did run into an employee that was clueless, I just asked to speak to the store manager. You'd be surprised at how many times the employee "saw the light", rather than call for the store manager.

Anyways, I always left with what I came for. ;)

i have not shopped at sears in years, most of my tools are old sk, williams, snap on, craftsman, and a few cornell
and a ancient sears bench grinder and a few other little things.

they are made to use...you can't wear it out.....I beat the snot out of mine every chance I get, knocking concrete forms apart is great fun. Send the "t" bolts flying and knocking the concrete off the form. And it still drives nails like it has eyes. I love that hammer. It has the origional handle with the weird round wedge.
Yes they are, very quality build on the ones I have used and have used another one of mine for demos on a lot of stuff even driven some wedges when I forgot the falling ax at home and the hammer happened to be in the truck. You got me changing my mind, next time I'm at the hardware store I'm gonna look for a nice straight grained handle for it and put it to work like it was forged to do. I'm real picky about handles you could say :laugh:

I will Stephen!!! It sure will be and it will for certain still be here when I'm older even if it gets abused unlike some cheap china one lol
-Jack

Back