whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another tip over for this company. The owner is the shadiest piece of garbage I’ve heard of. He’s tipped over more cranes than he can count on his hands.

dd83955939a0900fe1a4a4e78afe4b60.png

Gratz all you dudes having fun. I tried to start doing my work to get it done before heading back out to california. Average humid summer Arkansas day. My DR added diuretic to my blood pressure pill anyway i was on 5th wheel barrow load of stacking wood got nauseous went and leaned into cab of my truck and woke on the pavement beside truck. Pretty good pop knot back of head, lucky wind was blowing. I laid under truck about 30 mins cooling down. My client came out I told her would have to leave trailer and finish when i feel better she brung me garden hose so I could cool off more. I finally thought i was ok to drive I'm feeling better a bit been guzzling water. I got to get meds that don't accelerate heat stroke cause this ***** scary.

Jesus, Rope! I’m sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better, friend!!:(

I don’t know that I’d call what I’ve got going on “having fun” (even though it does have its fleeting moments), but thanks. It should be fun, but that relies on other people, and we all know how that usually goes.

You have to remember, this is like Facebook, everything is just great!!!:):):surprised3: Lol, or at least appears to be. I learned not to be too real on this site a long time ago.

Anyway, hang in there, buddy!!:cheers:

Gratz all you dudes having fun. I tried to start doing my work to get it done before heading back out to california. Average humid summer Arkansas day. My DR added diuretic to my blood pressure pill anyway i was on 5th wheel barrow load ... I got to get meds that don't accelerate heat stroke cause this ***** scary.

Medically, there are two kinds of problems folks have with hot weather: heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. When folks fall out in the heat, it is usually heat exhaustion, rather than heat stroke. Heat stroke is generally caused by insufficient water & dehydration; you get very hot, no sweat, and you are a good candidate for either the emergency room or dying. Heat exhaustion is when your metabolism quits working right, and there are many different aspects to the problem. Exactly what way your metabolism goes awry probably varies according to the individual. Yes, you can die from heat exhaustion, too, but not quite as likely.

About 10 years ago, I had me a nice little heat event of sorts. I was climbing a tree over a roof, piecing it out, feeling fine. Then I started not feeling so good, but not really feeling hot. Then I started getting a bit dizzy, I knew it was time to get out of the tree. In my haste to get done, I made a bad cut and yanked the electric box off the house. Ooops!

Then I was so dizzy I couldn't stand up for more than 30 seconds. I had lots of water, kept flushing my head in the garden hose...nothing seemed to help. I could crawl around on the ground, but if I stood up...I was going to go back down out of control. I was incapacitated for about an hour. The homeowner was rather concerned, and kept offering me something to drink. I kept declining, as I had an excellent garden hose I was very happy with. I eventually drank a cold coke that she offered, and the sugar water put me back in action.

It seems that when you get older, your ability to convert fat into blood sugar gets impaired; this is part of why we get fatter as we age. Since then, every time I feel that heat exhaustion coming on, I chase after some sugar water, work slower, and I have no problem.

Next time you find yourself falling out in the heat...try some lemonade. it will probably help a lot. Gatorade might actually be better for you, however, since it also has a lot of different salts in it.

BACK to the thread topic:
Yesterday, we had a big split-tree/blow-over. This was a really huge tree for our area, and quite tricky to get down without squooshing something important. Like me.

IMG_20180625_162539.jpg
That's me getting up from sitting on somebody's headstone. It was an excellent bench seat, and they didn't seem to mind. I had been waiting for the bobcat to drag out some more of the logs so we could get close enough for me to ride the bobcat bucket and start taking off bigger limbs that weren't holding up the tree. Right now, it is only perched on two branches.

That's a 36" bar on the MS660.

IMG_20180625_162638-1.jpg
I figure the old oak is just short of 6' DBH. The wound is severe, but we won't be taking out the whole tree. Just leave the rest to fall down some other day.

Medically, there are two kinds of problems folks have with hot weather: heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. When folks fall out in the heat, it is usually heat exhaustion, rather than heat stroke. Heat stroke is generally caused by insufficient water & dehydration; you get very hot, no sweat, and you are a good candidate for either the emergency room or dying. Heat exhaustion is when your metabolism quits working right, and there are many different aspects to the problem. Exactly what way your metabolism goes awry probably varies according to the individual. Yes, you can die from heat exhaustion, too, but not quite as likely.

About 10 years ago, I had me a nice little heat event of sorts. I was climbing a tree over a roof, piecing it out, feeling fine. Then I started not feeling so good, but not really feeling hot. Then I started getting a bit dizzy, I knew it was time to get out of the tree. In my haste to get done, I made a bad cut and yanked the electric box off the house. Ooops!

Then I was so dizzy I couldn't stand up for more than 30 seconds. I had lots of water, kept flushing my head in the garden hose...nothing seemed to help. I could crawl around on the ground, but if I stood up...I was going to go back down out of control. I was incapacitated for about an hour. The homeowner was rather concerned, and kept offering me something to drink. I kept declining, as I had an excellent garden hose I was very happy with. I eventually drank a cold coke that she offered, and the sugar water put me back in action.

It seems that when you get older, your ability to convert fat into blood sugar gets impaired; this is part of why we get fatter as we age. Since then, every time I feel that heat exhaustion coming on, I chase after some sugar water, work slower, and I have no problem.

Next time you find yourself falling out in the heat...try some lemonade. it will probably help a lot. Gatorade might actually be better for you, however, since it also has a lot of different salts in it.

BACK to the thread topic:
Yesterday, we had a big split-tree/blow-over. This was a really huge tree for our area, and quite tricky to get down without squooshing something important. Like me.

View attachment 659849
That's me getting up from sitting on somebody's headstone. It was an excellent bench seat, and they didn't seem to mind. I had been waiting for the bobcat to drag out some more of the logs so we could get close enough for me to ride the bobcat bucket and start taking off bigger limbs that weren't holding up the tree. Right now, it is only perched on two branches.

That's a 36" bar on the MS660.

View attachment 659850
I figure the old oak is just short of 6' DBH. The wound is severe, but we won't be taking out the whole tree. Just leave the rest to fall down some other day.
Yes well a few years ago when we had that terrible heat wave and it was 118 actual with ar humidity I took a ride in the ambulance and spent 2 days on IV with 28% kidney function! I know it comes from years in the hot Texas sun and now Arkansas sun and water intake. This was different, I had barely done anything I mean 5 wheel barrow loads off a trailer is minimal labor for tree dudes. I had same feeling as the day i went to hospital, when I look up diuretic I find it effects you in heat. I'm waiting few mins as doc is on lunch and I rested a bit too long after falling back to sleep at 6 am. I guess if I have to take the diuretic, I'm finished. I'm going to hire a temp service to finish the unloading tomorrow I just know with the drug my activity in heat is done I can't be passing out after 30 mins of work.

Jesus, Rope! I’m sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better, friend!!:(

I don’t know that I’d call what I’ve got going on “having fun” (even though it does have its fleeting moments), but thanks. It should be fun, but that relies on other people, and we all know how that usually goes.

You have to remember, this is like Facebook, everything is just great!!!:):):surprised3: Lol, or at least appears to be. I learned not to be too real on this site a long time ago.

Anyway, hang in there, buddy!!:cheers:
Being busy = fun you will understand me some day!

Yes well a few years ago when we had that terrible heat wave and it was 118 actual with ar humidity I took a ride in the ambulance and spent 2 days on IV with 28% kidney function! I know it comes from years in the hot Texas sun and now Arkansas sun and water intake. This was different, I had barely done anything I mean 5 wheel barrow loads off a trailer is minimal labor for tree dudes. I had same feeling as the day i went to hospital, when I look up diuretic I find it effects you in heat. I'm waiting few mins as doc is on lunch and I rested a bit too long after falling back to sleep at 6 am. I guess if I have to take the diuretic, I'm finished. I'm going to hire a temp service to finish the unloading tomorrow I just know with the drug my activity in heat is done I can't be passing out after 30 mins of work.

Damn, rope. You might need to become a supervisor after all.

I know you always resented them, but it sounds like you might be on medical leave from your wheelbarrow operator's position. HIRE SOME HELP, DUDE !

BTW: Diuretic means "you gonna pee a lot". Yes, that is very inconsistent with heat and keeping your hydration level high. I'd talk to your doctor at length about that.

If'n you got your legs cut off, you'd hire some help then, wouldn't you?

Yesterday had a dark turn. I was talking with my worker about that dirtbag who flipped his crane because my guy used to work for him. Told me some stories, then started talking about working for another competitor. He saw a guy get sucked into a tree roping out a top with no friction bollard. Crushed his skull and had his body dragged around the tree three times from taking trunk wraps. Died on the scene. I never heard about this and was pretty appalled.

Yesterday had a dark turn. I was talking with my worker about that dirtbag who flipped his crane because my guy used to work for him. Told me some stories, then started talking about working for another competitor. He saw a guy get sucked into a tree roping out a top with no friction bollard. Crushed his skull and had his body dragged around the tree three times from taking trunk wraps. Died on the scene. I never heard about this and was pretty appalled.

Three wraps seems like plenty if I remember correctly. You sure this guy isn’t pulling your leg? We used to take wraps on the trunk for everything back in the day, big wood and all.

Three wraps ought to be enough to break a rope. I guess a big enough rope & tree top might be overcome. Long spiraling wraps up a smooth barked tree don't hold too well, either.

I had a "died on the scene" incident. In the final analysis, nobody was paying attention, and nobody really knew what happened. From my observations, bad events usually boil down to fatal inattention, coupled with laziness or haste & a little bit of stupidity stirred in.

Three wraps ought to be enough to break a rope. I guess a big enough rope & tree top might be overcome. Long spiraling wraps up a smooth barked tree don't hold too well, either.

I had a "died on the scene" incident. In the final analysis, nobody was paying attention, and nobody really knew what happened. From my observations, bad events usually boil down to fatal inattention, coupled with laziness or haste & a little bit of stupidity stirred in.

In this case I was told the guy was green but also the owner didn’t give them any equipment to work with.

In this case I was told the guy was green but also the owner didn’t give them any equipment to work with.

So yes, my observations were correct: Haste or laziness by putting someone to work without training, stupidity to not provide the right equipment, and severe inattention by the people he was working with...they could have prevented a newbie from being trashed.

I leaned something new this morning by paying attention to the picture below. instead of trying to tie the bull rope to the highest part of the spar you can, cut a small grove on top to route the rope, cool.

Anyway, here some pics.
1fe11d000c6ee94a2ba3f0632dce636e.heic
[/QUOTE]

Also keeps the knot topside if the spar doesn’t roll.

Went and did a small job that I forgot about. The guy called me a few days ago and I apologized and said I’d do it for a highly discounted rate since it was my mistake and he has been a great customer for years. Easy couple of hours by myself and when I finished he paid the original plus an extra hundred as a tip. I still feel bad about forgetting the job but he’s not upset at all it appears. Some day I’ll get organized and remember everything

Hacking on a few historic trees on a few historic properties last week. I like to see the picts. so I thought I would reciprocate. Done $8k each week the last 3 weeks with me and a gm/climber. Awful tired tho at 69 y. o.KIMG0206.JPG KIMG0213.JPG KIMG0195.JPG KIMG0215.JPG KIMG0222.JPG KIMG0280.JPG KIMG0223.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG0227.JPG
    KIMG0227.JPG
    554.4 KB · Views: 11
I leaned something new this morning by paying attention to the picture below. instead of trying to tie the bull rope to the highest part of the spar you can, cut a small grove on top to route the rope, cool.

Anyway, here some pics.
1fe11d000c6ee94a2ba3f0632dce636e.heic
[/QUOTE]

That is a pretty sharp bend on the back side of the top of that stem. Greatly reduces strength with that much bend. Why not just tie it off with a R bowline on the front or a timber hitch?

Gratz all you dudes having fun. I tried to start doing my work to get it done before heading back out to california. Average humid summer Arkansas day. My DR added diuretic to my blood pressure pill anyway i was on 5th wheel barrow load of stacking wood got nauseous went and leaned into cab of my truck and woke on the pavement beside truck. Pretty good pop knot back of head, lucky wind was blowing. I laid under truck about 30 mins cooling down. My client came out I told her would have to leave trailer and finish when i feel better she brung me garden hose so I could cool off more. I finally thought i was ok to drive I'm feeling better a bit been guzzling water. I got to get meds that don't accelerate heat stroke cause this ***** scary.
Take it easy Ropes. You can always give it hell tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back