whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a thinning and deadwood on a lightly thorned honeylocust. Pretty big tree I was in it for around three hours, though we did stop for lunch.

They cry about the dangers of getting stuck by date palms but just try to forget you are in a heavily thorned Honey locust while pruning.

attachment.php

They cry about the dangers of getting stuck by date palms but just try to forget you are in a heavily thorned Honey locust while pruning.

attachment.php

NOTHING worse, they are all over Northern VA, and I always love it when the HO says, just run up it and cut that one limb.........

That will be $300.00 sir :jawdrop: "what"?

$100.00 for the work, $100.00 to clean the one limb up, $100.00 for band aids and AB ointment.

Kinda like poison ivy, tax ya know? :D

NOTHING worse, they are all over Northern VA, and I always love it when the HO says, just run up it and cut that one limb.........

That will be $300.00 sir :jawdrop: "what"?

$100.00 for the work, $100.00 to clean the one limb up, $100.00 for band aids and AB ointment.

Kinda like poison ivy, tax ya know? :D

Combat pay lol

treevet said:

I kept joking with my client as he and the HO were cleaning up my mess. "Workers Comp!" "I'm getting hazard pay for this, right?" :laugh:

The tree had been worked two or three times in the past, and so I was mostly in the upper canopy with structural thinning cuts. The thorns stopped around 35-40ft up. The lower was mostly deadwood and clearance limbing, taking half a limb off if it was conflicting with a crab, or shading the garden.

With honeylocust I think one of the more important things to do is reducing subordinate stems that are conflicting with dominant leaders. I won't take them out entire, let the tree shed them when ready. This way the dom's can spread out but the lower canopy is not deprived of the energy from the sub's, you seem to get less sprouting after the prune this way.

Last edited:
I wouldnt call it a hatrack... hard to tell from the cell phone pics but all the cuts were proper cuts. i only took it back about 25%
zoom.jpg

all the cuts were proper cuts. i only took it back about 25%

:deadhorse:

That is abuse of the term crown reduction, that is a top job. IM(ns)HO the diameter of wood is too large to call a round-over. Betual sp. compartmentalizes so poorly I am loath to go over a 1 inch reduction cut.

Cuts are not proper, because you do not have a 1/3 subordinate branch you are cutting back to. Sorry my friend... that is woodcutting, not tree care.

Hackrack

JPS....I agree with you 100% but I bet the sad thing of it is....the HO is probably happy with the job.

If you prune that tree properly....the tree would continue to have damage from ice and storms. IMHO....cut the Mo Fo down and plant a new one.

Sometimes you just have to admit certain tree species have hit the end of their useful life....in a landscape setting....at least that is my HO.

You can try to educate people but that does not mean they don't want something that is bad for them.....otherwise.....we would not have booze, ####, cigs, fast food, deep friend goodies....etc. etc.

I grinded 18 stumps today and that is all the fun I had.

Dont get me wrong.. i think that the tree looks like crap too. That tree is only 10 yrs old. The cuts i made were mostly in the 1" and < 2" inch range. There were only 2 or 3 cuts the size of my wrist at the top. The bark makes the limbs look bigger then they are. But to call it a hatrack is extreme.
This is a hatrack....
attachment.php

:deadhorse::angrysoapbox: :rolleyes:

I guess we agree to disagree. It was topped with height and the sole condition, species and growth habit ignored. I could have reduced that with a Felco to protect it from risk of snow/ice damage.

A tree care professional would have talked the OH out of it, or have been more conservative with the cuts.

I'm gonna have to keep hate'n on ya bro :greenchainsaw:

Hack-rack

Its cool guys no hard feelings ... i know that was less than ideal work. Normally not the type of work we do, but the client wanted it done and i didnt want to loose the customer to another tree service. I dont feel bad about what i did to the tree. After all its planted 10' from the house and has 5 leads leaning towards the structure. lets not forget that this species grows to 90' tall ! So i started to reduce it now, instead of doing a removal in 5 years.

Its cool guys no hard feelings ... i know that was less than ideal work. Normally not the type of work we do, but the client wanted it done and i didnt want to loose the customer to another tree service. I dont feel bad about what i did to the tree. After all its planted 10' from the house and has 5 leads leaning towards the structure. lets not forget that this species grows to 90' tall ! So i started to reduce it now, instead of doing a removal in 5 years.

You should feel like crap! When you reduce a tree the roots react and that close to the house! Do what the client wants is a sad excuse for being a hack to make a buck! Just my opinion.
Jeff
Remove this tree:greenchainsaw:

I took the limbs back 20% to 25% at the most, and all cuts were made to laterals. Im confident that this tree will be just fine for many years to come. Removal was not an option to the homeowner who built the house and planted the tree himself ten years ago. And no way anyone is gonna be able to keep that tree, in that location safe, by only making 1 inch cuts w/ felcos....the tree will reach over 90' if left unchecked.

I think it looks like a landscaper used a bucket to mutilate that tree. Crap job, whack job. Just my opinion.
Jeff

Jeff would have put 4 climbers in it working in tandem, with 2 chippers running in series and his glorious presence on-site for topflight arboreal management and close supervision of the 12 man ground crew, thru the windshield of course while he downloads p o r n on his 17" laptop in his Escalade office.

and to justify the $12,000 bill................
:hmm3grin2orange:

but then, I'm the official AWM.

Besides being a stupidly located tree, (treevet nailed it), and as obviously proper pruning did not fit their wants, he pruned it their way. and got paid.

Too many times a trees needs are outweighed by the HO's wants..
IMO, in this economy and time of year, ya wanna eat, or stand tall and hungry?

Last edited:
Back