What got ya started burning wood for heat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If/When I build my retirement home, it will only be 850ish square feet, so space for a wood burner will be hard to come by and it would be so small that burn times would be pretty short. I may do something like a pellet stove in the garage that I can duct into the house. An indoor furnace ducted in would be way overkill I think as would any OWB unless I heated the floor in the garage with it too.

The blizzard of ‘78 we were snowed in for three days. We just purchased the house. With three small kids we were lucky we never lost power. That spring we went woodstove shopping. Been burning wood ever since.

After buying our first house we were paying $250+ a month for electricity during the winter months. I made the decision at the end of my second winter to cut out about 9 foot of wall in between the kitchen and living room of a new house and install a woodstove.Best decision ever, we are much warmer and now the power bill during the cold months is around $70.

I moved to Connecticut in 1975, just in time for (1) the Arab oil embargo and (2) CT had no natural gas. Heating with electricity cost an arm and a leg back then (and still does). CT was also tearing up all the railroad tracks for reasons nobody could understand. So, heating with coal was out also. For winter heating, it was fuel oil or almost nothing. Therefore, I bought a chain saw and started burning firewood. Seemed logical and economical at the time, and it worked.

Back