what have I goten myself into?!?!?!?! lol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterweasle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just got permission for a 1.5acre parcel, that I can take every tree off it I want, also the guy whose property it is will cut to length, haul the logs to his shop/office location and let me use a corner of his property there, including use of a small building for storage and use of his machines to move things around, its mostly all red oak, and some decent beech trees, this is just one spot that he has and says he gets wood from other jobs sites all the time...................so I'll be going crazy...................crazier soon.........................

Sounds great, what type of mill are you using! I talked to one guy about buying a mill. He said don't do it. You won't be in the milling business you'll be in the hauling business, hauling logs, hauling scrap, hauling sawdust, etc. I'll be using mine for personal use to build a shop and log home with. Good luck.

Sounds great, what type of mill are you using! I talked to one guy about buying a mill. He said don't do it. You won't be in the milling business you'll be in the hauling business, hauling logs, hauling scrap, hauling sawdust, etc. I'll be using mine for personal use to build a shop and log home with. Good luck.
Just a 48” Alaska milk, Basically just cutting slabs to make a few bucks here and there, I was scavenging logs, But now i have a decent source and work space. Who knows what’ll happen

Just a 48” Alaska milk, Basically just cutting slabs to make a few bucks here and there, I was scavenging logs, But now i have a decent source and work space. Who knows what’ll happen

I would have given my eye teeth for a 48" Alaskan mill and a saw to run it a couple of months ago, right after Irma went through. Broke my heart to see all those large oaks go through the chippers, and still going.

this is a commercial lot my cousins husband just sold and will be clearing shortly, usually they just get rid of all kinds of wood, now that he knows what I'm getting into he said I can have anything off that lot I want, and more in the future as he gets it, finds it..............sounds good to me, plus a work area at his shop and possible use of a small building they don't use, seems good to me

this is a commercial lot my cousins husband just sold and will be clearing shortly, usually they just get rid of all kinds of wood, now that he knows what I'm getting into he said I can have anything off that lot I want, and more in the future as he gets it, finds it..............sounds good to me, plus a work area at his shop and possible use of a small building they don't use, seems good to me

A good win/win situation for everyone.

I would have given my eye teeth for a 48" Alaskan mill and a saw to run it a couple of months ago, right after Irma went through. Broke my heart to see all those large oaks go through the chippers, and still going.
customcutter, I'm in the Jacksonville area with a Woodmizer LT40SHD and a 25" Wood master planer/moulder making use of some of those trees. Lots of pine, white oak, a little red oak, cedar and one pecan so far.iPhone download 171110 656.JPG iPhone download 171110 657.JPG

customcutter, I'm in the Jacksonville area with a Woodmizer LT40SHD and a 25" Wood master planer/moulder making use of some of those trees. Lots of pine, white oak, a little red oak, cedar and one pecan so far.View attachment 612220 View attachment 612221

I'll be headed past there Tuesday to pick up my Wood Mizer LT40 in GA. Check out my thread a couple of post down from this one you can probably answer my questions.

thanks, Ken

Wow that is quite the opportunity! Post some pictures of the land and the work place.

Garrit, wish I could, I was supposed to go up last Tuesday to buy the saw. I got a text from the seller on Monday afternoon saying he wasn't selling the saw. However, it's still listed with a Broker for $33,500. There are a couple of other threads by me in this same forum. I'm in Alabama now looking for land, and went by Cooks Saws to look at a HD 3238, but they don't have one to demo. So I'm stuck with a loan and no saw.

Oops, sorry. Maybe that was directed at the OP!

What saw costs that? You talking about a mill?

A 2016 WM LT40 Super Hydraulic with diesel motor and loaded. The one in post #8 in this thread. It's called a BandSAW mill. LOL. I have two mills in my garage, a 9X42 and a 6X28, they are both used for milling metal. Sorry, I'm new to all of this and get easily confused.

That's cheap. The one we have was closer to 60k new if I remember right. Same as what you listed, just a 2010 I want to say.

Yes, I'm looking for a Cooks HD 3238 now, but they don't have one to demo at the plant.

I hope you are happy with the 32" throat. You would think the 36" cut on my WM LT40 is large enough but the number of people asking for larger planks because they want to do a table in one piece.

I hope you are happy with the 32" throat. You would think the 36" cut on my WM LT40 is large enough but the number of people asking for larger planks because they want to do a table in one piece.

I wound up with a Cooks AC-36, which is larger.

Thanks,
Ken

Back