Completed basic training

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchWoodPecker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Two days ago I had my basic training: cutting of horizontally lying wood.

It was a single day course that started off with theory and safety.
We had to do common maintenance on a saw as well. Filing the chain, replacing a chain, adjusting chain tension, cleaning all the sawdust out from the previous class, checking and cleaning the air filter. We had pretty decent saws to work on. A few Stihls 261C, and Husqvarnas 550 XP and 562 XP and a single T540i battery powered one. For the more advanced classes there were even a few Stihls 500i lying on the shelf, but sadly we did not get to touch them. 😇
With this maintenance done and verified by the instructor we hauled ourselves in protective gear and drove out on the king's estate (for realz) where there were 16-20 inch diameter beeches lying down that we had to cut in 35 cm (14 inch for my transatlantic friends) blocks, using combi cuts. We had to be careful because the wood was under tension and to my embarrassment I got a saw stuck in the wood that had to be released by another student cutting away another section of the tree that caused the tension. Because the king hunts there, there was even a curious wild boar coming to check up on us. She did not cause any trouble, though. 🐷

After that we went back to the training center, had to do some theory question about technical, legal and safety aspects of chainsaws that were mostly straightforward, and like everybody else in the group I passed. I was even warned that while this course is quite easy, the more advanced courses about actual felling are not practically auto-pass courses, but that is for another day.

We drove home and dropped a fellow student off at a train station close to my home that had a direct connection to his hometown, cutting an hour off his journey. He was a really cool more experienced professional chainsaw user who needed the certificate for insurance purposes, so maybe I did not only gain my Dutch Chainsaw Certificate 1, but also a friend.

Two days ago I had my basic training: cutting of horizontally lying wood.

It was a single day course that started off with theory and safety.
We had to do common maintenance on a saw as well. Filing the chain, replacing a chain, adjusting chain tension, cleaning all the sawdust out from the previous class, checking and cleaning the air filter. We had pretty decent saws to work on. A few Stihls 261C, and Husqvarnas 550 XP and 562 XP and a single T540i battery powered one. For the more advanced classes there were even a few Stihls 500i lying on the shelf, but sadly we did not get to touch them. 😇
With this maintenance done and verified by the instructor we hauled ourselves in protective gear and drove out on the king's estate (for realz) where there were 16-20 inch diameter beeches lying down that we had to cut in 35 cm (14 inch for my transatlantic friends) blocks, using combi cuts. We had to be careful because the wood was under tension and to my embarrassment I got a saw stuck in the wood that had to be released by another student cutting away another section of the tree that caused the tension. Because the king hunts there, there was even a curious wild boar coming to check up on us. She did not cause any trouble, though. 🐷

After that we went back to the training center, had to do some theory question about technical, legal and safety aspects of chainsaws that were mostly straightforward, and like everybody else in the group I passed. I was even warned that while this course is quite easy, the more advanced courses about actual felling are not practically auto-pass courses, but that is for another day.

We drove home and dropped a fellow student off at a train station close to my home that had a direct connection to his hometown, cutting an hour off his journey. He was a really cool more experienced professional chainsaw user who needed the certificate for insurance purposes, so maybe I did not only gain my Dutch Chainsaw Certificate 1, but also a friend.
That's WONDERFUl..Glad you are enjoying the wide open world of many things to learn.. I stay up many nights all night studying.. my interest is in many things.. Today I read about Plant eating Spiders..Sea otters that rape and kill animals of a different species.. If you think Humans are the ONLY weird animals there a zoo out there so to speak..Tree work is SO amazing..So much to learn and we never know it all..Never loose the excitement of learning new things..Musical instruments, machinery, design, of things.. Air craft, sail boats, the list goes on and on..The joy of learning..Life is a blank canvas waiting your brush..Create a master piece and enjoy your own company..Life is a circle.. When we start drawing it at birth the circle ends exactly where we started no matter how big we drew it or how long the boundary line is.. It's from point to point and maybe, just maybe, when it's complete, we take that circle with us when we begin a new one..

Back