Signs That Your Chain Is Sharp (Or Dull)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@SteveSr in years past I have sent emails to our users with information like below so they can digest it at home in their leisure. Not sure if most even read what I sent.

Came across this on the Stihl page that might help someone.

Brochure: Sharpening a STIHL saw chain​

All Languages.
https://www.stihl.com/sharpening-brochure.aspx#r=sidebar
English version.
https://static.stihl.com/security_data_sheet/downloads/Sharpening-STIHL-Saw-Chains.pdf

Thanks for posting this, reading through it now because I'm always willing to learn. Surprised to see it say this though:
"All other cutters in the chain have to be matched to the same length."

Incorrect, as long as the depth gauges are matched to the cutter. Maybe just easier to make this statement from a company standpoint to avoid consumer backlash down the road from people that don't file down their depth gauges accordingly?

Also disagree with:
"Count the number of file strokes and use the same number on each cutter to obtain cutters of identical length."

Maybe good for a quick touch up in the field, but I wouldn't say it should be a rule. File each cutter as necessary to get it sharp/correct and then adjust the depth gauge(s).

Lots of good imagery though, so much easier to explain that way than to try to verbalize it.

Yea it's from a company that sells chains. It is a good guide for new users so they want the user to have the perfect chain that rides smooth. I started out trying to match rights and ,left cutters but after a while found out that one side is my strong side and became shorter. I adjust my strokes fewer on one side than the other. I make sure each cutter is sharp and depth gauge is set.

If one or two cutters need more filing I just do those and the depth gauge and eventually the other lengths will, catch up.

Don't worry much anymore about it as long as I have a sharp chain and cuts well.

Latest posts

Back