Chain dulls quickly. What did I screw up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can not keep a chain sharp cutting stumps in that much dirt, not for one cut!

I'm hoping to avoid the surrounding mud for the remaining cuts I plan on that root. I have two new chains waiting, and am OK with sharpening all three as needed.

Success!

I made 3 cuts thru the root mass, till I hit dirt. Went down about 6". Then found out I could lift the whole mess right out of the ground!

Here's the hole where it lived:
PXL_20200930_193343820.jpg

And here is the root:
PXL_20200930_193404467.jpg

You can not keep a chain sharp cutting stumps in that much dirt, not for one cut!

It's surprising just how fast the chain stops cutting! I sharpened today, oiled her up, set the slack, and after punching thru the root into the dirt below - twice - the chain stopped cutting.

Looks like a job well done, even if the chain is wrecked you’ve still done the job cheaper than renting a stump grinder I would think.

You are definitely hitting something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's surprising just how fast the chain stops cutting! I sharpened today, oiled her up, set the slack, and after punching thru the root into the dirt below - twice - the chain stopped cutting.
You've been copying me, haven't you? Therein lies your conundrum.

Back