Signs That Your Chain Is Sharp (Or Dull)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I help teach a chain saw safety and certification course for our local trail organization. I am looking for an (almost) idiot proof way for a relatively inexperienced user to know if their chain is sharp or dull. What has traditionally been taught in class is to look for good sized wood chips instead of sawdust.

I was out with another sawyer today and he had a MS260 with a pretty dull chain. It was cutting slow and producing a fair amount of fine dust. However, he insisted that it was sharp because he could make it produce chips by leaning on the saw. Of course, you can see the chips produced by a couple of sharp teeth while the saw dust just blows away.

This has got me thinking that there must be a better metric (or characteristics) to differentiate between a sharp vs. dull chain. Anyone have any better suggestions?

Steve Great question - I would like to hear suggestions on this too!!!

Around here we have dead dry trees that fall on trails. They are rotten and cutting produces fine chips and powder. Where as a green tree poops out nice chips with a sharp chain while the chip size reduces as chain dulls. Sharp chain feeds better with little effort and as your example the user needed to push on it to cut. Great to have a second chainsaw with sharp chain that the user could use to see and feel the difference.

I feel for you for training users. Over time one will experience sharp versus dull, knowledge of the behavior and feel for it while cutting. That comes with time with the chainsaw.

I guess most won't pick this up by textbooks and talking to them. Having them use a dull and sharp chain to see and feel the difference might be the only way for some to learn.

Going extreme have them start cutting with a sharp chain and stop them and throw a little fine dirt in the kerf dulling the chain to quickly experience the difference. Then teach sharping that chain in the field and start cutting again.

Most classes don't spend much time on this or at all, so how does your new users learn?

I'm not sure a quick teaching method reaches all the students. Some students can watch a video and get it but some will be needing to actually experience it in person. Some will nod their heads but really not understanding what you are saying. In a group training who wants to be that person to be embarrassed asking questions.

Patrick

I've been a certified instructor/evaluator for Backcountry Horsemen of Washington for years, and I have found that the simplest way to teach a new saw user the importance of keeping a saw (or axe) sharp is to show them examples of dull and sharp tools, and then let them use both so that they recognize and understand the difference. Making one cut with a dull chain or crosscut saw, followed by a cut with a sharp saw is generally all that is needed!

Ten minutes with a file every two tanks prevents a sore back, shoulders and arms. The saw should not need to be leaned on or leveraged to cut quickly nor should it bite so deep it can bog itself with the bar buried. I sharpen mine before I start the saw, thats how I know its sharp. Show them what a stump vice is and how a good file feels when still sharp and how a dull file removes less metal.

a dull saw throwes dust, a sharp one throws larger chips. stop and look at what your seeing and just look down every now and then. till you develope a feel for what your feeling.

i like to run my hand across the top of teh chain and feel the snag on my calloused hands. thats my gauge.

when setting the rakers, i think that is the real thing to teach. i just eye ball it 2 or 3 strokes with the flat. then place the husky gauge n top of the raker. to check the heigth. even with teh top is what the gauge says. i like my rakers to just clear the bottom of the plate. if you swung the gauge left and right. kind of fish tailing it. that is where i think it cuts best/

Hello,

I help teach a chain saw safety and certification course for our local trail organization. I am looking for an (almost) idiot proof way for a relatively inexperienced user to know if their chain is sharp or dull. What has traditionally been taught in class is to look for good sized wood chips instead of sawdust.

I was out with another sawyer today and he had a MS260 with a pretty dull chain. It was cutting slow and producing a fair amount of fine dust. However, he insisted that it was sharp because he could make it produce chips by leaning on the saw. Of course, you can see the chips produced by a couple of sharp teeth while the saw dust just blows away.

This has got me thinking that there must be a better metric (or characteristics) to differentiate between a sharp vs. dull chain. Anyone have any better suggestions?
Don't know if this will help, but I use a toothpick when sharpening or checking for sharp - you should be able to shave the toothpick with the cutters very smoothly and produce nice shavings without any resistance.

Oh, I feel your pain. Trying to tell a newbie when the chain is dull.
Already mentioned, they don't want to admit that they did something to it (hit the ground) and will keep going convincing themselves, it's okay. lean on it...

Experience is the best teacher.

Once they understand that, then it is time to "try" and teach correct filing technique.

WIth the cost of sawchain these days, rocking out a chain is a expensive lesson!

Back