What is with the term, saw is wearing xx" bar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some nice sticks of oak right there!

We have some pretty good timber around here on the bluffs. Needs to be cable skidded, no grapple skidders around here.

Just East of me there are a bunch of little small draws leading to the rivers. Those are infested with nothing but black walnut.

Threw some chips on that one.

MVC-002S_13.JPG

Notice in the background the rounds. those are 22 - 24 inch. It always amazes me how the diameter always throws the eyes scale off. I've learned to now mark the lengths as I tend to get tricked by that.

MVC-021S.JPG

I use a length of rod on a magnet and throw it on the trim saw. Have a 16 inch marked as well if I'm working for someone who wants that. Just walk down the length and tap a small cut mark. Works well for me as I have to cheat anymore as I'm an old fart. LOL

I have noticed that too where big stuff will throw off your eye. I have a couple sticks with marks and a logging crayon. I try and keep rounds between 16.5 & 19" if possible. Sometimes it is not with log cut offs to the size. For example if you have a 40" chunk I will make two 20". If it is 45" either three 15" or two 18" and throw a chunk away.

I have noticed that too where big stuff will throw off your eye. I have a couple sticks with marks and a logging crayon. I try and keep rounds between 16.5 & 19" if possible. Sometimes it is not with log cut offs to the size. For example if you have a 40" chunk I will make two 20". If it is 45" either three 15" or two 18" and throw a chunk away.

MVC-021S_1.JPG

MVC-001S_32.JPG

MVC-008S_6.JPG

Trying to keep stuff to length when using the lift (vertical cutting) will get me too. Another one of those eye things I guess.

MVC-019S_7.JPG

It's all good as it at least gets put to use as opposed to just rotting away.

Threw some chips on that one.

MVC-002S_13.JPG

Notice in the background the rounds. those are 22 - 24 inch. It always amazes me how the diameter always throws the eyes scale off. I've learned to now mark the lengths as I tend to get tricked by that.

MVC-021S.JPG

I use a length of rod on a magnet and throw it on the trim saw. Have a 16 inch marked as well if I'm working for someone who wants that. Just walk down the length and tap a small cut mark. Works well for me as I have to cheat anymore as I'm an old fart. LOL

Same hee. Eyeball guage doesn't work at all. Cut too long on small stuff, too short on big. I used a 16" piece of PVC pipe as a guage to start each cut.

Same hee. Eyeball guage doesn't work at all. Cut too long on small stuff, too short on big. I used a 16" piece of PVC pipe as a guage to start each cut.

I don't have a problem with stuff under 2 ft in diameter, it's just the bigger stuff and when it's upright. Just a rookie I guess. LOL. You'd think after 50 years I get the hang of it!

I put a mark on my bar where 16” is. Other common lengths I cut to I have identified on my saw. 20” means total cutting length on a 20” bar. And just behind the clutch cover to the tip on a 20” bar is OWB sized. It usually takes an hour in the morning before I stop measuring cause I have a feel by then. It really helps if you burn the wood you cut. Then you see/handle the wood not often to get the sense of length.

SEE REPLY TO YOU AND C5RULZ! LOL! AND ALSO.....ITS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT SIZE OF THE SAW/CC'S ETC....DOGS AND BAR LENGTHS HAVE TO DO ALSO WITH JOB AT HAND AND TERRAIN YOU ARE WORKING ON. LIKE I SAID IN MY LENGTHY REPLY ABOVE....WE WORK IN MOUNTAINS ON STEEP GRADES ON VERY LARGE AND VERY TALL HEAVILY BARKED TIMBER.

NOW IF YOU ARE A FLAT LANDER OR ARE CUTTING SMOOTH BARKED TREE'S OR YOU ONLY CUT THE OCCASIONAL LARGER TREE, THEN YOUR SET UP WILL LOOK A LOT DIFFERENT THAN OURS.....BUT TO EACH HIS OWN AND ITS HILARIOUS TO HEAR GUYS FROM FLAT STATES WHERE THEY DONT HAVE THE TREE'S WE DO OUT WEST TALK TRASH ABOUT US LIKE WE ARE SOME "DUDES" TRYING TO LOOK KOOL! LOL!
YOU THINK WE WANT TO PACK AROUND ALL OUR FALLING GEAR, WEDGES, AXE, OIL/GAS, LARGE SAW HEAD WITH LONG BARS ETC.. YOUR CRAZY! LOL!! I USE THE SMALLEST SET UP THAT ALLOWS ME TO GET THE JOB DONE EFFICIENTLY AND BE AS SAFE AS I CAN BE AS WELL. AND IN SOME AREAS WE ALSO PACK A LARGE BORE HANDGUN OR SHORT 12 GAUGE SHOTGUN BECAUSE OF GRIZZLY OR BROWN BEAR. I LOGGED IN ALASKA 4 DIFFERENT TIMES OVER THE YEARS FALLING TIMBER AND IT WAS THE LAW IN CAMP THAT EACH CUTTER HAD TO HAVE A MAGNUM OR LARGE CALIBER HANDGUN EACH PLUS AND 12 GAUGE FOR EVERY PAIR OF CUTTERS CUZ WE ALWAYS WORK IN TEAMS OF TWO.

HELL I DONT LIKE PACKIN THE BIG SAWS WITH LONG BARS PLUS ALL THAT GEAR UP AND DOWN STEEP MOUNTAINS, BUT ITS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET IT DONE.

Calm down ol’e boy :drinkingcoffee:

Not talking about someone who is truly in the big wood like yourself.

More about the guys with 50cc saw ‘wearing’ 36” bar, with huge double felling dawgs, and never cuts anything bigger than 20 inches on the stump.

Oh by the way - West ‘by god’ Virginia is anything but flat.
Ever heard of the Appalachia’s ;)

I find the spot on the bar and mark it
or on an 18 inch bar 2" less than bar length

I also have a 1x2 marked and if I don't have splitting right away I send my son around with the stick and can of spray paint and he marks off 16s on everything he can

on my splitter I cut a 16 inch piece of card board laid it down and painted everything past 16 to 24 red no spliting wood in the red zone toss it in a pile for re-cut
the stove will take 16 with wide and 18 length wise but I sure hate it when I thought it would just fit and now it has to go in diagonal messes up my plan to load it.

it's my wood and my stove I would rather burn all 15 -16 inch wood and have it fit either direction, when I go to put a 18" I don't like the sound it makes bumping into the fire brick in back , I just replaced them all and those were the ones most cracked . 11 year on those brick from when I got the stove it was a showroom model before that I would like to get more on these brick.

those big rounds do through a person off seems of to have a round so narrow by proportion but they are all 16s

Calm down ol’e boy :drinkingcoffee:

Not talking about someone who is truly in the big wood like yourself.

More about the guys with 50cc saw ‘wearing’ 36” bar, with huge double felling dawgs, and never cuts anything bigger than 20 inches on the stump.

Oh by the way - West ‘by god’ Virginia is anything but flat.
Ever heard of the Appalachia’s ;)

We all have areas of steep ground but it’s nothing like you get on the west coast there’s a reason you see towers out here and not back there. For another reason you’ll see some guys out here over bar is we don’t want to spring board up the far side to reach, it’s not much fun getting up on the boards unless you really need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all have areas of steep ground but it’s nothing like you get on the west coast there’s a reason you see towers out here and not back there. For another reason you’ll see some guys out here over bar is we don’t want to spring board up the far side to reach, it’s not much fun getting up on the boards unless you really need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you actually READ my post .... you'd realize I Wasn't talking about YOU or ANYONE else on the F****** WEST COAST, cutting your big F****** pine trees or whatever the F*** you cut out there with your 6 foot bars, and I could care F******* less!

Yes of course everything YOU do on the West Coast is leaps and bounds, BIGGER, BETTER and MORE DIFFICULT than ANYWHERE else on the continent.
YOU of course have the BIGGEST baddest saws, cut BIGGEST baddest timber, in WORSE terrain than anyone else could even dream of, on the BIGGEST baddest mountains, with the BIGGEST baddest equipment, ....... and the rest of us can only look on in AWE of YOU .... and only wish we could be a little bit like YOU.

You probably FIRED a better man than me, just for getting in Daddy's truck with his f******* caulks on.

I was probably cuttin' timber when you was sh****** yellow ...... but DAMN, I wasn't on the F***** West Coast so just child's play to anything YOU do THERE.

YOU da' MAN

Give it a F****** break!

I don't think this thread was ever about telling people to not have whatever size bar they needed to take down the size trees they have.

I am currently looking at buying a 36" bar for my new saw because I dropped a tree yesterday that I had to cut from both sides with a 24 inch bar and I have several more bigger ones to do.

i bought a 36 for my 066 a few years ago, finally used it to make 2 cuts this year.. only because i didnt want to sharpen the 25's chain that morning. just a big obnoxious beast to haul around. took me a half hour just to get the prick on the saw properly.

I ended up going 28 inch instead realizing I wasn't going to get a bar big enough to get all the way across in one shot on the saw for a few of the trees I have coming so I am changing technique some.

Back to the magnum stickers, my MS460 came with one from the factory, it’s just that tough, so think on that there fellas!!!

Back