What kind of chain is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtnodya

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My stepdad has had this chain since 'back in the day' and we are trying to determine what type of chain this is. We know for sure that it isn't some kind of kickback-friendly chain .. He used to use it with his Pro Mac 700 and says it would cut like mad! Anybody know what it is?

p2240002rh7.jpg

p2240006cx1.jpg

You need to give a close up shot, and any numbers etc that may be stamped on the chain.

From your shots, all we can see is a full comp chain, that I can't even tell if it is chisel or semi chisel for sure.

Looked again, and it looks like a semi chisel cutter of unknown make.

Sorry, I guess I could have said that it doesn't have any markings on it at all. The teeth that are like split and curved upwards are what I'm wondering about. Not necessarily what brand of chain but rather what kind of chain. Also, can this stuff still be purchased? And also, what do you all use to clean dirty chains? This chain is dirty as crap and I don't really know what to clean it with.

Here's a the larger image ...

Chain

That is Kolve chain it was tried in the early 80s, it was supposed to be antikick but it kicked like crazy and was virtually impossible to sharpen. You sharpened the 2 wing looking teeth straight across with a round file and the single tooth at a slight angle with a slight hook with a round file. I believe the designers name was Ray Kolve he brought some samples for us to try on 2 Topso saws quite possibly the 2 worst saw related products I ever ran. The only good thing was that the saws vapor locked so bad you had to wait until the next day to run them again and by then you could find something else to do.
Dave

dtnodya:
That my friend looks like RIPPING CHAIN the reason for every other tooth being ground away, is so the chain can carry larger chips out of the kerf. Kinda like shredded cheese, (that is the type of chips you get when cutting with the grain instead of across the grain). This type of chain is not recommended for hand held use, only for a saw attached to a milling machine!
SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

That is Kolve chain it was tried in the early 80s, it was supposed to be antikick but it kicked like crazy and was virtually impossible to sharpen. You sharpened the 2 wing looking teeth straight across with a round file and the single tooth at a slight angle with a slight hook with a round file. I believe the designers name was Ray Kolve he brought some samples for us to try on 2 Topso saws quite possibly the 2 worst saw related products I ever ran. The only good thing was that the saws vapor locked so bad you had to wait until the next day to run them again and by then you could find something else to do.
Dave

I believe Big Dave hit it..

Scott

Dave

Thanks! Good information ... He hasn't used the chain since the 80's and only has 1 loop but I haven't seen anything like it on the web or anywhere else .. I was curious ...

dtnodya:
That my friend looks like RIPPING CHAIN the reason for every other tooth being ground away, is so the chain can carry larger chips out of the kerf. Kinda like shredded cheese, (that is the type of chips you get when cutting with the grain instead of across the grain). This type of chain is not recommended for hand held use, only for a saw attached to a milling machine!
SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

I'm not using it lol. He says that the chips it shot out were giant (using a torque'd up Pro Mac 700) .. the saw is heavy and he's big so maybe that's why it didn't kickback real bad on him .. dunno .. but it looks like it would kick you in the face, quick-like!

Oh yeah, what's the best way to clean an old chain? He's got a few nice different chisel chains that just need to be cleaned up and sharpened (safer and better ones) ...

Latest posts

Back