What Saw's On The Kitchen Island Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice specimen Derrick :clap:.
That's one of my favorite 2 series saws, little more power than the 346 and quite a bit more grunt, but only a little extra weight.
What's funny is that's the exact saw I've compared to the 550mk2 and what I hoped it would be like. I think the 550mk2 is very similar but with all the features of a modern saw, which some may want more than others. The hp on the 254 iirc was underrated from husky, but independent test showed 4.2, spec check please @SawTroll :).
Heres one I had running a 64dl chain on an old Windsor bar. The video was to show how you can use a bore cut to get under dirt/mud on a log and then cut from the bottom of the muddy spot to throw the mud off rather than pulling it thru the cut which dulls the chain very fast.

As I recall, that is true - but that was a late 1990s one that may or may not have been typical of the "breed". Power specs from Husky varied between 2.9 kW/3.9 hp and 3.0 kW/4.1 hp - with no obvious logic regarding when they stated what.

How the 254xp compares to various newer models does of course depend on the operators priorities - the actual weight difference vs. a 346xp isn't really minor imo, and there is more (like vibes, ergonomics etc).

Now this bad boy sounds like a mean mofo but i dont run it much and its got some weight to it, but tough to beat the boxy look of these 2 series for sure

View attachment 802247
View attachment 802245
Nice saws, sure like all that orange, one thing I'm not as fond of is all the grey these days on the huskys.
I like the 550mk2, but the mk1 is a great saw as well. Bummer about that one not starting right up for you, 1 or 2 pulls on mine when its cold and she pops, one more and shes running.

As I recall, that is true - but that was a late 1990s one that may or may not have been typical of the "breed". Power specs from Husky varied between 2.9 kW/3.9 hp and 3.0 kW/4.1 hp - with no obvious logic regarding when they stated what.

How the 254xp compares to various newer models does of course depend on the operators priorities - the actual weight difference vs. a 346xp isn't really minor imo, and there is more (like vibes, ergonomics etc).
Well I was close :).
I always thought of the 254 as a big 346, great saw if you needed a bit more grunt, but the 346 would be the saw I'd grab more often so I let them go.

Nice saws, sure like all that orange, one thing I'm not as fond of is all the grey these days on the huskys.

I like full orange of the older saws. Husqy must think they have to go two tone in order to compete with Steal.

I also like how the 2-series clutch cover goes over the handle; looks cleaner.

Nice video. I actually like the gray but not sure why the clutch cover gets scuffed up so easy, like there's no clearcoat on it due to matte finish, but if it starts and cuts fine don't matter to much. If the dealer brings out another demo MkII and it starts easy, it might change my mind. The first one might have been built on a Monday?

Nice video. I actually like the gray but not sure why the clutch cover gets scuffed up so easy, like there's no clearcoat on it due to matte finish, but if it starts and cuts fine don't matter to much. If the dealer brings out another demo MkII and it starts easy, it might change my mind. The first one might have been built on a Monday?
Thanks.
That's what I don't like about the grey the most, the paint gets scratched up if you look at it sideways :baba:.
I think you may want to try it again right away, I've never heard anyone having a hard time starting one until now.
I like full orange of the older saws.
Me too, orange is my favorite color more specifically burnt orange, not the stihl orange lol.
Works out that my favorite saws and my favorite tractor happen to be orange :rock:.

Problem with Kubota is they put hydraulic steering cylinders in front of axle, allows dirt on cylinder arm and can get bent. Other than that they are ok, neighbor, cousin, and good friend have them, need something when they talk smack about mine. :cheers: Oh! you own one also.

Thanks.
That's what I don't like about the grey the most, the paint gets scratched up if you look at it sideways :baba:.
I think you may want to try it again right away, I've never heard anyone having a hard time starting one until now.

Me too, orange is my favorite color more specifically burnt orange, not the stihl orange lol.
Works out that my favorite saws and my favorite tractor happen to be orange :rock:.
That grey is usually scuffed in the shipping box before the dealer even takes possession of the saw!!

Not the kitchen island but the truck is on the agenda this morning to figure out why I have top end noise. Hopefully just a bent pushrod
If you have aftermarket springs thats a good possibility. You can use a long screwdriver on your ear to hear where the "tick" is at better. Does that engine use pressed in studs or screwed in. If they are pressed in you may have one that has come out of the pocket, if so you have to pull it out and clean it up, then a thin layer of loctite sleeve retainer on the stud and reinstall it.

No I missed that, I'll check it out! Don't sell that saw without checking in first ;).[/QUOTE]
Will do, its probably going to get modded a bit more in the near future, it sounds like a little tank to me.
Here you go, this chain helps a little ;).
20x3/8 square ground I did up in black locust.

Back on tailgate island. Had to sell off my fish shanty to fund this one, but I'll just have to bundle up and jig a little bit faster for now.

View attachment 802387
Very nice buddy.
I think you could just bring that one along when ice fishing and you can cuddle with it to keep warm :). Maybe you could secure the pole to the side of the bar :laugh:.

Back