ArboristSite.com Sponsors

What types of wood to use for firewood

NormK

NormK

ArboristSite Lurker
I am new to this and I am sure someone has asked before, but bear with me .

I got several acres of woodland and I want to thin it out. I figure if I can sell some of this wood for firewood, why not. I don't have a fireplace myself, but I have friends and coworkers who do. I know that red oak and water oak are okay, but I am not sure about bay tree, black gum, holly, maple (not sure what variety we have in South Alabama) or sweet gum. Is there a chart or something that gives the go/no-go for what types of wood to use for firewood?

Thanks!

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like using any of the tree kind.

Different regions are going to use different types of wood so you’ll get a ton of answers but here’s what I generally use the MOST of.

Oak
Maple
Black locust
Cherry

Sometimes cotton wood if it is an easy scrounge.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

David Gruber

David Gruber

ArboristSite Member
Never have trouble finding buyers for maple. Even silver maple which is on the lower end of the btu per cord scale moves well. The others I'm not sure about except gum. From what I've read gum isn't worth the effort to process.

svk

A little bit of everything
I’ll link you to a good BTU chart. It doesn’t have every species but has most.

I believe gum is tough to split? We don’t have that around here.

Smacktooth

Smacktooth

ArboristSite Member
If it’s of a size you don’t have to split, sweet Gunn burns ok, makes tons of ash though. I had some near my house a few years ago that was standing dead, super dry, sap wood all gone, 3”-5” diameter, so I used it. Also good for keeping your stacks of nice wood off the ground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old pardner

old pardner

ArboristSite Member
I had cut sweet gum one time could not split it but if I could find more of it I would cut it in a heartbeat smelled great in my house and put good heat to but I never split a big one. Red oak is my favorite but my second locust is easier to find dry if there’s is no live branches

Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins

Firewood by TJ
Like many I use what ever I have. At the moment there is available a large amount of softwood so soft wood it is. Hardwood is always better, but more difficult to turn a profit. I am going to try to bundle some white fir at give away prices. Some have actually requested it. Thanks