Whats the deal with these knock offs and how do they get away with it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone who was going to legitimately buy a new Stihl from a dealer bought a clone instead, costing Stihl a sale? Seems like the people who are inclined to buy knockoff China junk would never buy a new saw at full price anyway. A used saw sure, but that's not costing Stihl a sale. The people who have a legit need and justification for paying full dealer price for a new saw aren't interested in Chinese chainsaw shaped toys. I'm sure there are exceptions but overall I really don't think these are costing Stihl any significant amount sales.
would agree. Personally though I have I have bought one each of the real deal straight from stihl/husky, often years before the clone.
My clones are aging well, very few issues whatsoever, and they get the nastiest jobs most times.
I use clones as sacrifices - being the cheap ones - saving the real ones.

fixed, apologies to counselor...

They are cloning Zenoas (Joncutter) and Echos now [emoji23]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

They have been making those a lot longer than the husqvarna and Stihl knockoffs. Joncutter is just the newest flavor since ryobi, craftsman, remington, bluemax, earthquake, mcculloch, and even husqvarna

120%20chainsaws-1200x1024.png

480.jpeg

518TJRxAWiL._AC_SY450_.jpg

You don't prosecute anyone in China, no jurisdiction and they simply don't care. You prosecute the people selling them here in assembled form.

I'd LOVE an old slow speed Lister diesel, even a copy. Can't get them here anymore, don't pass emissions. You can buy a Lister clone "air compressor" though, and injection pumps and injectors and such are available to repair engines already in service. Remove a couple blockoff plugs, add the right repair parts, back up and running. That's one I've thought about doing.

You don't prosecute anyone in China, no jurisdiction and they simply don't care. You prosecute the people selling them here in assembled form.

I'd LOVE an old slow speed Lister diesel, even a copy. Can't get them here anymore, don't pass emissions. You can buy a Lister clone "air compressor" though, and injection pumps and injectors and such are available to repair engines already in service. Remove a couple blockoff plugs, add the right repair parts, back up and running. That's one I've thought about doing.
Me personally, I burn a tractor tire every Earth Day. Sick of it all.

You know whats funny about the guys whining about Chinese saws not meeting EPA Standards? I'm betting half of them will "muffler mod" a saw without thinking about it! There's intellectual consistency for you....

Me personally, I burn a tractor tire every Earth Day. Sick of it all.

You know whats funny about the guys whining about Chinese saws not meeting EPA Standards? I'm betting half of them will "muffler mod" a saw without thinking about it! There's intellectual consistency for you....
Wait a minute... People modify chainsaws?

Wait a minute... People modify chainsaws?
All mine are stock, but I suppose there are some people who mod their saws

I have heard Rumors and Heresy that some people actually SELL their SAWS, now THAT is something that I have a Hard Time understanding or Believing

Doug

So I have heard. They love to "retune" saws that were set to meet regs...You know, kinda like how Volkswagen had a tune that beat EPA Emissions standards?..Only cost them $33 billion dollars...Then there are "muffler mods" that change the fuel air ratio expelled in exhaust....Again, the saws wouldn't pass regs with those mufflers...

I am not familiar with the Lister you mentioned, but how about a single cylinder slow speed Changfa S195 as an alternative?
As I understand it's about 70 years old German design and should be easy to find low hour engines.

They are noisier and vibrate more then most people would be willing to tolerate, but were designed to last 50,000 hours in-between rebuilds!

Here's a similar engine to one of those in action (maybe a larger model?) - photo taken by my brother when visiting China!

;-))

Attachments

• Agricultural Transportation Engine.JPG
    Agricultural Transportation Engine.JPG
    592.5 KB · Views: 8
The Changfa was on the list too, but also difficult to find. The Lister is along the same lines, slow and not high output for the weight, but even more so. 6 hp and 400lbs or something like that? 50k hours would be barely broken in.

The Changfa was on the list too, but also difficult to find. The Lister is along the same lines, slow and not high output for the weight, but even more so. 6 hp and 400lbs or something like that? 50k hours would be barely broken in.

I see what you mean, 6 hp @ 650 rpm, pretty cool!

Back