Which chain for 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiterch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to get a spare chain for my 346xp. Stock, 16" bar. I was looking on CCD (commericalcutters.com) and they stock Oregon chains, but I'm not sure what I need to buy. The owner's manual doesn't mention a thing about the chain.

Southwest Fastener shows that the Husqvarna part # for the chain is H30-66 (.325-.050 x 16" Pixel Chain).

Does that chain directly correspond to any of the following:

Oregon .325 Pitch "LG" Chisel - 34LG Loops
Oregon .325 Pitch "LG" Chisel - 35LG Loops
Oregon .325 Pitch "VP" Micro-chisel - 95VP Loops

How many drive links on a 16" bar chain? What does "LG"/"VP" mean? 34/35?

I like how Stihl puts the chain stats right on the bar itself, very helpful. But I like how my Husky cuts much better!

Thanks.

Not to confuse things but I run stihl chain on my 346xp. Its .325 and .050 gauge 66 drivers full chisel. I really hapen to like that chain.

Your 346xp should have come stock with 95vp , 66 Drive links on a 16" bar. Look at the last couple of pages in the manual and it DOES tell you what bars and chains this saw will run.

the 95 vp is what lowes has as 346xp replacement chain. i can tell u for sure,, it does get the job done,, on mine better,, than anything i tried. its just real fast chain in the rite application.

95VP66 which is made for the micro lite bar that comes stock on that saw. It is actually a very nice chain since it cuts well and is smooth as glass.

Russ

I think Ryan has the magic numbers for the 346. Stihl 23RS chain is of excellent quality and holds an edge a long time, and can be square ground if needed. With the kind of chain speed the 346 generates stock or especially after modification it would be an unbeatable set-up.

Hi Jacob, the only trouble with that suggestion is that a new bar may be required. I know that Oregon and Husky are adament that bar only be used with the narrow kerf chain and of course the nk chain requires a narrow bar. When he swaps bars the rs is a good choice but 33LG is nearly identical in size an profile and stays sharp almost as long for half the price. 20LP is a very good choice also.

Russ

Here's what a 346 can do with 3/8 rs .This is just a small amount of wood I cut in the last 2 weeks. Thanks to John he has helped me with getting my skidder work underway.

Here's a shot of a New Jersey log landing don't laugh. My neighbors are ready to kill me. Between the "eye sore" of logs and the chainsaw noise.Hey I cann't help it if an opera singer moved in accrross the street.

This was all cut with a Walkers 346xp. If I just let the saw work in it's powerband it's awesome. The stihl chain cuts very fast.

Back