wood delivered today pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoosterBoy said:
here you go i think i will have 6 full cords when it's all cut. what do you think? i know pictures is hard to tell but that pile is tightly stacked right now

thanks
Jason

I hope you got your 6 cords but it looks even more like 4 cords at best.

RoosterBoy said:
hay jpp this is my second day second day cutting. here is what i got done so far.

if it was not for my bar sprocket jamming on me every now and then id be more productive my chain saw is old. i have a carb kit on the way so it should start better.

here you go i think i will have 6 full cords when it's all cut. what do you think? i know pictures is hard to tell but that pile is tightly stacked right now

thanks
Jason

Yeah, hard to tell from pictures. That second picture looks very, very similar to what my driveway looked like before I split mine (6 face cords or 3 full cords).
You still have a lot more to go, wouldn't surprise me if you end up with the same sized cut pile again.
You may have 6 full cords when you are done.

RoosterBoy said:
man i dam well hope so I'm counting on that for what i paid and the work Ive done so far.

thanks guys

The cutting is the EASY part.....

RoosterBoy said:
hay jpp this is my second day second day cutting. here is what i got done so far.

That took you about 2Hrs? :)
attachment.php

:)

dose it seem like i am going to slow? it's hard for me because this is my first time. i have a 16" stick that i use to mark all my cuts so i can pile nicely that takes time plus i have to plan all my cuts because the logs where just thrown in a pile so i have to wedge some logs because my saw will get stuck

pulse my old saw has not been very productive i got a oregon bar and the top bar sprocket keeps jamming on me so i have to sometimes take the chain off and oil it and use a screw driver to free the top sprocket up. dam pain in the a$$.

i am getting 2 more tractor trailer loads of logs after this is done and i hope to have enough money in 2 months for a ms460 because i will be doing this every year. can some one please give me any tips on making the job go faster
maybe cutting techniques to prevent logs from wedging my bar :)

what i have been doing is cutting almost till it's all cut then roll the log if it's on the ground then cut with the top of the bar the rest so it dose not wedge.

if it's on the pile i will wedge the cuts with 2x4's. as you can see I'm having a hell of a time but it's getting done and I'm learning ;-) any tip's or tricks would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Jason

Build yourself a bucking crib (do a search on Arboristsite, there are some good threads about them.)

Cut the logs into sections that you can physically handle (length depends on tree thickness). Pick up or roll the newly cut sections onto your newly built crib. Heck of a lot easier to cut than to cut, roll, cut, etc.

My crib is short, the logs only sit about 6 inches off the ground when they are on my crib. Because it is short, it is also easy to hoist the logs on. The log sits on the crib and hangs off both sides. I cut on one side, then the other, then cut what's left in half. Usually works out to be equal lengths for all pieces, but it isn't rocket science here. My cut pieces can now be used as props also to hold up my next log. Get the picture?
Sometimes you have to cut, roll, cut, but I hate doing it this way. Much greater chance of hitting dirt with the saw and I tire out faster this way. My way, I can make 3 cuts right away while the log is on my crib.

I don't understand why your bar tip sprocket is getting jammed (if I understand you correctly)? Is your chain on too tight? There are quite a few places that rent Stihl saws, why don't you go rent one. This way you will know if you like the saw before you buy it. Taylor Rentals around here have Stihl saws for rent.

Be careful when cutting with the tip of the bar, that is how you get kickbacks and higher chance of pinching.

Having a saw/saws that are running 100% efficiency is very important. If your saw is not performing, that makes it much harder and sllllloooooooooooowwwweeeer.

thank you jpp for the good tips ;-) i am having allot of fun at this i wish i started heating with wood a long time ago

thanks
Jason

PS if you get a chance jpp can you post a picture of your crib

few tips

First off that does not look like 6 full cords. Finish what you got so you know what you are getting and don't over pay to do the work yourself may not be worth it. Buy a log roller and pull one log off the pile at a time and cut it on the ground a few feet away from the pile. Nothing will be in your way and saw will not pinch. If that is really the size of the pile you are going to cut each year just buy a 361 pro sthil. Its more then enough saw for what you need i do 5-8 times that amount and the saw never gives me any issues. Get the splitter for free when you can but for that amount don't buy one use a maul if that is your olny alturnitive. Also if time is an issue stop measuring every piece. If it fits in the stove it will but it does not care how long each piece is. If its for your use then anything in a 3 inch range should work find. After a few hours of cutting you will be surprised how good you can do just with your eyes. And just try and have some fun at it...good therapy

Where are you in CT? Who did you get the wood from? I'm looking to but some wood too.

I have see an add in the Bargain News, a 40 yard trailer for $400 - and the wood is already cut (not split). I think he is in the Norwalk area.

hey Rooster...........

i'm near hartford .if you want any free wood,let me know.we are out of places to get rid of it when we do jobs.860-916-3290,steve

Cut the logs into sections that you can physically handle (length depends on tree thickness). Pick up or roll the newly cut sections onto your newly built crib. Heck of a lot easier to cut than to cut, roll, cut, etc.

I would have to disagree with that being faster than rolling. Especially on a pretty level surface like that lawn. I limb my trees where they fall then drag them whole out to the gravel road. Then cut down almost through every 16" +/- by eye down the whole log then roll and finish with undercuts. If there is a spot where it isn't touching the ground I'll go all the way through then you can usually roll the smaller logs with your foot instead of the whole log with a hook. I'd bet dollars to donut's my way is faster then cutting 5' sections putting down the saw lifting each one into a crib then cuttin them.

Do donuts cost more than a dollar yet ???

Back