woodstock soapstone stove??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there anybody on here or know of anybody who has one of these stoves longer then 10 yrs.? What parts have they replaced on them? Any parts more then once? Iam starting to get the feeling i made a 2400 dollar mistake or a learning curve.Help would be very appericated.I have the fireview.

Pete

Extremely reliable, high quality Made in USA ( N.H./Vermont) manufacturer of catalytic wood stoves. Check out owner reviews on HearthNet for real time experiences with this stove. We heat with wood and considered Woodstock but for the door loading needs we had.
If this is your first cat stove, read the manual and look at users tips for operating the cat; it is a learning curve to get the most out of a cat stove and maintain it.
Good choice. :clap:

I agree with my neighbor LB,

Woodstocks are a great stove and will probably be the next stove I buy. My Brother and SIL have a older classic (maybe 14yrs old) non cat model but all the newer ones are EPA cats. They've never replaced anything on the old classic (that I know of). Everyone I've spoken too says the newer cat model use less wood for the same heat. There is a learning curve too getting the best out of them starting with having good seasoned wood. None of the cats like hi moisture wood. You might want too call Woodstock as they are famously helpful customer service wise. What kind of problems are you having Pete?

Last edited:
Is there anybody on here or know of anybody who has one of these stoves longer then 10 yrs.? What parts have they replaced on them? Any parts more then once? Iam starting to get the feeling i made a 2400 dollar mistake or a learning curve.Help would be very appericated.I have the fireview.Pete

Pete: Don't want to sound righteous here, but cats do take more technique to get the most out of them. We got our first cat when (the real ) Vermont Castings came out with a cat stove in 1989: the Defiant Encore. It took awhile to get over my old way of burning. Here's what we do now with a 2001 cat VC Encore for the burn cycles. Remember, the cat is the same as in your truck exhaust system , but without the steady high temps.

1. Load stove, letting the temp get up to ~ 500+ F on a stovetop thermometer.
2. Engage the cat bypass damper. Then allow the temp to GO BACK UP to over ~ 500 F. That's so the cat "lights off", glows, or is now in ignition mode to burn off the waste smoke particulates.
3. THEN, use the primary air control for the level of heat you want.

It's a little PITA compared to non cats or older, non EPA stoves with just one air contrrol. But no big deal, since compared to our non cat "mommie stove":buttkick: , I can get more and longer heat out of the same load with the cat. For the same space, same wood species, the cat stove gets easily twice the heat from 1/2 the wood ( OK OK I'm not a Thermodynamic Scientist ) as a ball park estimate. :dizzy:

Give it time, give the catalyst a chance to light off. We use a loud timer for the extra step to get the cat going in each load cycle.
Not to worry: you chose a fine product. :givebeer:

Well my firewood buddy has an epa version and its 7-8 years old and I havent heard a peep out of him about anything he dislikes yet fact they love it, its the center attraction in his "boys" room with all the other boy stuff :) .

Kansas

I know this is a old post but thought others would like a longer time line. I have had a fireview for 18 years now and bought new when i built my house. My house is a ranch 1800 sq ft. Kitchen dining and living room are open with cathedral ceiling about 780 sq ft. There are two bedrooms and two baths with 8 foot ceilings, 3 car garage under bedrooms. The main part of the house stays at around 76 with the outside temp at 20 or below, above 20 it gets up to 80 if you're not careful. The bedrooms stay at 68 to 70 with the heat set at 67. I burn 2.5 to 3 cords of wood a year and use 300 to 360 gal. of oil all year thats with baseboard heat and oil fired hot water. Thats enough about that, so far i have replaced the converter 4 times once i dropped it and it broke. The seal on the glass i replaced in the 2 year i had the stove because of puffing, if you choke the fire way down say to .5 on the damper as the smoke burns it will sometimes puff like when you lite gas in a barrel. You learn not to do that. I just replaced all the gaskets with a maintenance kit from woodstock , it was 40 bucks. The converters are around 120. Most of the gaskets looked fine but i was starting to get a little smoke smell in the house, normally you would never know there was a stove burning, many long time wood burners are surprised that the house doesn't smell of smoke. The ceilings are still white after all this time. The stovepipe runs straight up in the middle of the cathedral about 22 feet double wall on the stove to metalbestos out the roof. I clean the pipe once a year and get about a small coffee can of junk. Had a chimney guy come for insurance inspection and he said he never saw stove pipe so clean. If you stand outside and look at the chimney you see only a small vapor trail after its up to temp. I hope this is of some help to anyone thinking about a woodstock stove, love mine.

I finally picked up the Classic 200 I spoke for last year.

8b83b9028010142ebc955b570aee42b9.jpg

80c2ba2ff17692b6069c0c69358d0d1e.jpg

bd721ac0cfb592d0ed36ce798e2b7b90.jpg

My Uncle has a Soapstone but idk if it’s a Woodstock.

I’m all in for Info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back