yup "free firewood"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borrowed my brother in laws splitter, blew a tire on way to my place. $75 for new tire and half a day wasted. I put the splitter on blocks to make a better working height. And of course used my elevator that I bought several years ago just in case I needed one some day. Only $100 I think it was.

And here is the house on the cleared lot.
I missed a bunch of other steps and money spent of course. I ended up buying 4 saws cause you can never have too many. Not all the wood is done and I have no use for the saws at least until i find some more. We have enough for almost 3 years.

Last edited:
Good looking setup you have there. Yep, no firewood is truly free unless someone is putting it on your property cut/split/stacked and not charging you a dime for it.

It is possible to post multiple pics in the same post. And here's a hint about where you can find more trees, check the last picture you posted. Your house seems to be surrounded by them.

Good pics. What powers the conveyor?

Nice set up you have. I'm working on a conveyor set up now. :D

Even if you invested $1500 in equipment could you have heated your house for 3 winters for that amount?

Don't wait 3 years before you get them back out to 'limber'em up". I like to keep mine ready to go for whenever the mood strikes to get some sun, fresh air and good exercise with the kids.

Is the furnace a hot air unit? How did it work out last winter? If you've got enough for 3 years you probably know how much the new unit uses due too last winter? You could always try and stay 3 years out and get a years worth come springtime.
I stay 2 years out at least. Always have good dry wood that way. Nice little you house you guys did there. :cheers:

rx7145, I used my generator to power the conveyor, hardly used any fuel.
The wood was ash, birch, hemlock and a couple of nice cherries.
Zodiac, it's the American wood stove and it is a hot air unit. We used it for all of last year and were very happy with it other than had a problem with getting the house too hot. We only heat a part of our house an area around about 1600 square and basement under that. We have heated water beds so minimal heat needed for all the bedrooms. The stove has 2 blowers and 2 -8' ducts off the top of it. The stove is pretty much in the middle of the house in the basement, I ran one duct straight up and put a 12"x16" wall mounted grille on it. That's where the cat sleeps. The other duct I put a tee on and ran one 6" floor mount into the 30' long hallway and one 6" to the lovingroom. No heat ducts to the kitchen just the one right above the stove in between the kitchen and livingroom. Within 2 weeks my wife had disconnected the duct to the livingroom saying it was just too hot. Windows open all the time in 2 bedrooms all winter. We didn't seem to be burning near as much wood as before when we had an airtight stove but it just seemed to be so much more efficient and it was even a long cold winter last year. What we ended up doing was removing all ducts except the one directly above the stove in the wall and just heated the basement with the stove. The basement is completely open except for the wood room. What this did was kept all the floors toasty warm but the room temperature was still comfortable. Whenever it got really cold outside or we wanted to cook anyone out all we had to do was open the basement door and within minutes it was hot. I have a 24x24 attached garage with a door to the basement from it and my son would leave the door open and heat the garage pretty decent. I am planning on putting a hot water heating coil in it this year.

Steiner

Cantoo, nice steiner! The toughest tractor out there. One problem though, you only have one. We like them so much we currently have three. You never can have to many steiners!

derecsky, we just built the house. There is room for a detached garage on the right side.

blizzard, yeah I have a brother in law that has Steiners too. He has 2 of them. I also have 2 of them, that's my older one in the pics. I have a newer one with a kubota diesel in it. I have a couple of attachments too.
http://www.************/showthread.php?t=185239&highlight=steiner

Back