Gloves or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Who here wears gloves when out cutting and handling wood?
I did never have but lately it seems I can't go without?
Must be old age:jawdrop:

Funny, the same thing happened to me years ago. I never wore gloves and if I tried to wear them, somehow, shortly after they came off and never went back on. Then one day, they stayed on for the day and now I can't go without. Maybe I evolved.
Now I'm working on getting rid of the flip-flops!

Last edited:
Yup agree years I dragged chopped and worked trees no gloves. Then one day had feed dead wood in big old Vermer drum chipper. It tore up my hands real fast. Next day donned the leather gloves and since then they became part of my kit.
Lately I found these cotton nitrite hyflex snug fit gloves. They breath let you feel but will save your skin. Not so good with thorns so you need leather for handling prickles.

Understand how others may say nay to us nandy pandy glovey gents. Pray you try n run your chewed rough ol paws up your gals nice new pair o satin stockings.

http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/4289522/11525302

Nope..... I always wear gloves. After losing part of one finger, and being lucky to still have a couple others, I say a little leather goes a long way !

Nope..... I always wear gloves. After losing part of one finger, and being lucky to still have a couple others, I say a little leather goes a long way !

Sorry to hear that.
I don't wear my wedding ring because of some of the horor stories I have heard,seen!

(I do not mean wife stories):D

:cheers:

I ALWAYS wear gloves - if my hands are injured I can't earn money!!!! Call me a pnasey, but I think it is silly to risk injury to such a critical part of your body when it doesn't take much money to protect it.

I wear kevlar gloves from youngstown when cutting, I never pick up the saw without them on. They are tight, very maneuverable, asphalt palm gives great grip and will reduce the damage from an intimate experience with the chain.

I wear sturdy leather gloves ($6/pair at costco) for moving logs, tending furnace, working the skid steer - a blood blister from getting pinched by a chain, a huge splinter from a log or a burn will seriously impair my ability to get work done.

For splitting I use the youngstown anti-vibe gloves - since I do it all with hand tools this really helps me keep going.

I don't care for the cotton gloves - they do almost nothing to stop splinters (and certainly nothing to stop the saw).

I was taught at an early age to wear gloves so I always have. I almost feel naked without them.

All of my felling, bucking, loading, I wear gloves. Doesn't feel right not to. However, when maul splitting, I can't wear gloves. The grip just doesn't feel right with gloves on.

Same here! I never used to wear gloves when doing anything. now theyre the first thing i grab.

they sure so save your hands, guess thats what there made for:dizzy:

Sorry to hear that.
I don't wear my wedding ring because of some of the horor stories I have heard,seen!

(I do not mean wife stories):D

:cheers:

I should be clear my digit injuries had nothing to do with cutting wood, but..............

you see where I'm coming from.

Good point about the wedding ring. I don't wear mine either, for the same reasons. Occaisionally I'll throw it on if we are going out to dinner or whatever. No objection from my wife, especially after she had to drive me to the hospital and had to sit there while the orthopedic surgeon discussed whether or not they could re-attach the end of my finger. :mad:

I always wear gloves, and never any rings, watches, etc. Learned that a long time ago.

I hate wearing gloves of any kind,But when running a saw or handling wood i wear them. For the reasons mentioned already.I get a lot of black widows in my woodpile and even copperheads and plenty of brown recluse. Just can't take the chance. Also when sharpening a chain i will put one on the right hand to move the chain. If you hand has ever slipped by trying to move a stubborn chain you will understand why.

Last edited:
I get a lot of black widows in my woodpile and even copperheads and plenty of brown recluse.

WTF.... Are you kidding ? Man, I wouldn't be anywhere near a woodpile like that until it dropped below ZERO.

home.jpg

I wear these for everything.

When my brother worked at the mill I could get 12 packs of those Atlas gloves for $22. I stocked up, but that was a few years back and the stash is finally starting to run low. And, while they offer some protection, I've still gotten slivers while wearing them.

I wear them while doing woodworking as well. You get a much better grip on the wood, and your hand has less of a chance of slipping. And while a leather glove may pull your hand in, these will just shred. Some may disagree with this practice, but each to their own.

I'll wear mechanics gloves for cutting if it's wet or raining but usually wear nothing. When I'm handling wood I almost always wear leather gloves. I'm not worried about spiders I just don't care for splinters or pitch.

Back