stihl 044 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawjunky

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I finally got my muffler cover today and it doesn't fit. There's a couple pictures here and I was wondering whether it's my muffler or if it's the cover. I got the muffler cover from cheapstihlparts and it was sold as a 044 046 muffler cover.

Theres my muffler.
muffler2.jpg

Here's the cover.
muffler3.jpg

Theres the cover on the muffler.
muffler5.jpg

Here's where it doesn't fit, the other 3 holes line up just this one doesn't(bottom right corner). And yes the oil cap is cracked and I'll replace it if it starts to leak.
muffler4.jpg

Heres a picture from the back showing where the cover is wider than the muffler.
muffler.jpg

So is my muffler not an 044 muffler or is the cover not an 044 cover. Thanks.

Evan

Edit: The pictures are of pretty poor quality but you can get the general shape of them. And that's the muffler gasket sitting on the muffler right there. It's the 044 muffler gasket and it doesn't line up with the cover so I was thinking that the muffler cover is not an 044 muffler.

Last edited:
That cover is a

That is an early model muffler on your saw,,,, The problem is you have bought a late model cover your muffler doesnt have the dog leg bend in the starter side,,, the early one is straight,,,,,, Im in the road for the next two days cant help till tomorow night,,, Were is Lakeside53 or Ultra, or THALL when ya need them!!!!!!!!!!!!! FCOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm still not sure what's going on... the crankcase hole spacing never changed.. I think...

It's going to be easier to find the "later" rear section than an early front if that is the problem. You'll want it anyhow when you slap on a dual port front!

I'll dig in my box of junk tomorrow...

Last edited:
Will a later model rear section fit on my saw? Do they have the same bottom hole pattern? Bcorradi, what do you have, the rear section or the cover? I'll see what Andy comes up with. I'd rather change the rear section since it's less hassle of shipping the cover back and less wait time.

Evan

Yes it should fit,,,,

Will a later model rear section fit on my saw? Do they have the same bottom hole pattern? Bcorradi, what do you have, the rear section or the cover? I'll see what Andy comes up with. I'd rather change the rear section since it's less hassle of shipping the cover back and less wait time.

Evan

Junky can you install the bottom front bolts through the muffler without the cover???? if not then you dont have the right muffler rear casing to begin with!!!!!

and Lakeside is right, your gonna wish you would have ponied up and bought the factory dual port cover anyway,,, Brad,,,, Green light rep to you dude for helping the Junky out,,,,,,

Poor lil, junky newbie,,,,, with more rep than any of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Evan

I believe I have a few used 044/046 mufflers laying around. So I could probably send you a newer style back if you'd like.

I can stick the bolts through the rear section to mount it. The serial number is x44xxxxxx. I don't know all of it just the first 3. Did they change how it mounts to the case? I'm open to whatever as long as it works. bcorradi, do you know if that newer style will mount to my case? Thanks.

Evan

Don't worry about the case.. There is only one type of cover...You have the wrong cover.... likely from an 066. I have a few covers (who wants a NON-dual port cover anyhow ;))?.. Brad's closer... your choice.

Last edited:
Junky can you install the bottom front bolts through the muffler without the cover???? if not then you dont have the right muffler rear casing to begin with!!!!!

and Lakeside is right, your gonna wish you would have ponied up and bought the factory dual port cover anyway,,, Brad,,,, Green light rep to you dude for helping the Junky out,,,,,,

Poor lil, junky newbie,,,,, with more rep than any of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be nice., he MIGHT rep you.... or not...

Any body have any factory dual-ports or modified dual-ports I could buy? Save me trouble of going to the dealer. So it's decided that there's only one cover and I have the wrong one and if Andy or bcorradi send me one that it will fit?

Evan

What's that? Did someone say they were giving away dual port covers for 044s? Dibs! (after Junky, of course)

Any body have any factory dual-ports or modified dual-ports I could buy? Save me trouble of going to the dealer. So it's decided that there's only one cover and I have the wrong one and if Andy or bcorradi send me one that it will fit?

Evan

Junky I just looked @ my 44/440's and my ms460's none of them have the little bend on the bottom I suspect Lakeside53 is correct,, they sent you a 066/660 front cover :bang: :monkey: :monkey:

Latest posts

Back