Husky 359 issue - bogs when warmed up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirewoodMauler

Reaction score
Anyone else have this issue? I bought the saw new, and it's done it from day one. I've taken it to two different dealers, who each claimed to know what the issue was, and neither of whom actually fixed the saw :)

It starts like a champ, runs great for about half an hour or so, then starts to bog down even without any load. You can get it to rev up if you feather the throttle, but once you let it idle again it bogs again when you try to rev it back up. I've pretty much just been dealing with it for the last 5 years - then I remembered this interwebs thingy and found a bunch of people here that seem to know a lot more about saws than my dealer claims to so I figured I'd see if anyone has ever had the same thing happen to them.

For what it's worth, it's always gotten premium fuel correctly mixed with Husky oil and I clean it after every use. I've got lots of other small power equipment with 2-cycle engines that never have issues so I'd like to think it's not me causing the issues with the saw.

Thanks in advance for any help! :cheers:

If the saw is five years old it could be a faulty carb - it was a known issue. There was a service bulletin about that other members had posted in the past. Switching to the Zama carb seemed to solve the problem. Someone more knowledgable will likely be along shortly! If you search 357/ 359 carb problems or issues I am sure something would come up

If you can reach full rev by feathering the throttle, but WOT the engine "bogs" I have to wonder if you are running it too rich. Try adjusting your high jet, once you have it warmed up. Go 1/4 right, test it out. Better, worse? Maybe start 1/4 turn left, just to be safe. Hopefully just a tuning issue. If you find that one way starts to improve, go another 1/4. Take it slow and test the saw in the cut.

The best thing would be to use a tach, but not everyone has on of those in his back pocket.

Remember, too rich is always better than too lean. You don't want to sieze it up trying to correct a minor problem.

If the saw is five years old it could be a faulty carb - it was a known issue. There was a service bulletin about that other members had posted in the past. Switching to the Zama carb seemed to solve the problem. Someone more knowledgable will likely be along shortly! If you search 357/ 359 carb problems or issues I am sure something would come up

Yes, if it has the walbro carb swap it out for the zama. Could be a tank vent, when it starts to bog outcrack open the gas cap just enough to relieve the pressure. If the saw corrects, it is the vent. Also replace the fuel line and filter.

None of this helps, get it vac/pressure tested.

Lots of problems with the Walbro 199 series carbs on the 359`s , they usually act like this and then they get adjusted out to provide more fuel but it is actually the accelerator pump in the carb that is faulty, most saws then flood out when the saw tries to spool down to idle, the fix is to order a new Zama C3-EL42 ,this carb is a direct fit and does not have the accelerator pump in it.
Pioneerguy600

here are two things you need to make you dealers aware of:
Service Bulletin for 357XP, 359, 353, 346XP
This service bulletin is not new. I thought that there might be some out there who were not aware of it so here it is. If your saw has a black plastic clamp around the intake right next to the cylinder it is applicable to it. If the clamp is of steel construction then you should be ok.

B0600023
SERVICE

*537 43 88-01*
*compl 537 25 13-02
English 1 (1)

SB, 357 XP, 359, 353, 346 XP,
Partition wall and clamp for intake system,
2006-03

The existing intake system on 357XP, 359,353 and 346XP currently consists of an integrated plastic clamp in the partition wall. As the clamp is made of plastic, there is a risk of deformation. This results in impaired clamping force against the cylinder, which in turn can result in leakage in the intake system. To prevent this from occurring, we have now introduced a metal clamp and a new partition wall.

The new partition wall is made up of polyamide with 30 % fibre glass.
The new clamp is a hardened steel clamp. The new material and the design of the clamp reduce the risk of deformation and the subsequent risk of leakage.

Full replaceability prevails.
Introduced from serial number:
357XP 061100201
359 061100001
353 061100001
346XP 061100001

New part no. Description Excl. part. no. Remark
537 25 13-02 Partition wall, intake, complete New spare part
537 43 88-01 Clamp, intake New spare part

Spare part, partition wall, part number 537 25 13-01, has been discontinued and is replaced by part number 537 25 13-02.

attachment.php

the pdf is for jonsered, but it is equally applicable to husky saws.

i have a 359 that had the same problems and the carb and partition/clamp replacement fixed it. it runs great now.

I just totally rebuilt a 359 a couple of weeks back and replaced the service bulletin parts, these are the numbers that were used to order the new parts .
Carb Zama C3-EL42 # 5052003001
Flange # 503928502
Partition wall # 537251302

The tank vent parts are ,plug #5036064-01
filter # 5016298-01
Pioneerguy600

here are two things you need to make you dealers aware of:
Service Bulletin for 357XP, 359, 353, 346XP
This service bulletin is not new. I thought that there might be some out there who were not aware of it so here it is. If your saw has a black plastic clamp around the intake right next to the cylinder it is applicable to it. If the clamp is of steel construction then you should be ok.

B0600023
SERVICE

*537 43 88-01*
*compl 537 25 13-02
English 1 (1)

SB, 357 XP, 359, 353, 346 XP,
Partition wall and clamp for intake system,
2006-03

The existing intake system on 357XP, 359,353 and 346XP currently consists of an integrated plastic clamp in the partition wall. As the clamp is made of plastic, there is a risk of deformation. This results in impaired clamping force against the cylinder, which in turn can result in leakage in the intake system. To prevent this from occurring, we have now introduced a metal clamp and a new partition wall.

The new partition wall is made up of polyamide with 30 % fibre glass.
The new clamp is a hardened steel clamp. The new material and the design of the clamp reduce the risk of deformation and the subsequent risk of leakage.

Full replaceability prevails.
Introduced from serial number:
357XP 061100201
359 061100001
353 061100001
346XP 061100001

New part no. Description Excl. part. no. Remark
537 25 13-02 Partition wall, intake, complete New spare part
537 43 88-01 Clamp, intake New spare part

Spare part, partition wall, part number 537 25 13-01, has been discontinued and is replaced by part number 537 25 13-02.

attachment.php

the pdf is for jonsered, but it is equally applicable to husky saws.

i have a 359 that had the same problems and the carb and partition/clamp replacement fixed it. it runs great now.

nmurph, I have a 359, aprox. year and a half old, Ive had no problems with it, and I have checked and I do have the new style intake boot clamp, but how do I know if I have the zama or walboro carb? Should I not worry about it if I'm not having any problems or would you reccommend replacing the walboro carb just to be safe? ( if I even have the walboro) Thanks

if it is running ok i would not bother replacing anything. it seems from what i have read that not every walbro carb of that model was defective. but if someone is experiencing bogging after the saw is revved, the carb is likely the culprit.

if it is running ok i would not bother replacing anything. it seems from what i have read that not every walbro carb of that model was defective. but if someone is experiencing bogging after the saw is revved, the carb is likely the culprit.

Thanks, I tend to be anul about such things, I will mark this thread, if I ever run into problems I'll know where to go. Thanks again

I'm having flashbacks! Mine did the same thing and I even went around with an idiot mechanic that thought he knew what he was doing. I finally took it to a good mechanic and he had the carb replaced in short order ON WARRANTY! It is a runner now.

Took mine in today after a friend that works at Hydro told me they shipped a pile of 357's back to get carb replacements. My dealer said my saw was now out of warranty but its only has 8-10 tanks run through it and it's done this since day 1. Being an idiot I thought it might have been a break in thing (things being tight). When I described the problem to the dealer he dropped his head and say 'Yep, most 359s and 357s we sell have the same problem'. He did say he is going to try to get it through under W since is has no time on it. If they don't warrant the saw I'll be pissed and will be looking elsewhere for my next purchase.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem with mine, it will be all better by tonight. I just got the Zama carb to go on it, pretty cheap fix too, under $30.00.

I just totally rebuilt a 359 a couple of weeks back and replaced the service bulletin parts, these are the numbers that were used to order the new parts .
Carb Zama C3-EL42 # 5052003001
Flange # 503928502
Partition wall # 537251302

The tank vent parts are ,plug #5036064-01
filter # 5016298-01
Pioneerguy600

Is it necessary to change the flange?

I'm good on my 359, just trying to be sure I replaced all that was necessary on a 357 that I did a carb swap on.

picked up 359 for $225 from a rental shop, would run for 2-3 minutes then quit. Swapped out the Walbro carb with zama carb after reading about it on this site. Seems to be running great now. This is my first saw purchase, and feeling alot better about it now. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back