DN 441 verses 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK, Brandon and I got it done today, and Brandon has the video to prove it.

Both saws running round ground chisel, 20" bars and 7 tooth sprockets. Not sure if we got video of the 7900 when we put the chain on it from the 441, but in any event, the 441 we feel had the edge over the 7900.

There are also a couple vids of my DN 361 with an 8 and 7 tooth, 16" and 3/8 RS.

And Brandon brought his top handle echo, well see if he puts that up too.

Nice!

How heavily modified is the muffler on the 441? I've read that a muffler mod isn't very beneficial on stock 441's.

Does the 441 seem any more efficient with fuel than the 7900?

Oh, I forgot, the 441 tached at 13,600, and the 7900 at 13,200.

Peacock;

Dave did add a second port to my 441. He also enlarged the stock opening. If you are looking for specifics, youll need to ask him. Brandon and I havent run them side by side long enough to be able to tell if the 441 will use less fuel. By all rights it should, being a smaller saw and by its design. I have put enough time on it to be able to tell it does sip the fuel.

Thanks...

What does the 7900 normally tach at? 13.5k for the 441, right?

Casey, is the 7900 stock? So far my 7900 from DN is my favorite saw. To big for all uses, but is the wood is big enough that is the saw that will be in my hands. Glad you like your 441. Man can not have too many saws:rock:

After both are saws are broke-in (mine only has 3 tanks through it) we will have to let them meet...

Thanks...

What does the 7900 normally tach at? 13.5k for the 441, right?

441 should run at 13.5 Dave told me I could run it at 14,000, but seeing as its still realitively new, Im keeping it a bit rich. I believe the 7900 should tach at 13.5 as well.

Daddy, the 7900 has a muffler mod, and thats it.

Theres no way my modded 441 would keep up with your modded 7900!!! Itd be interesting to see some times though. That 441 sure does zip through the wood.

I agree with the assessment that the 441 had the edge on the 7900, though it isn't a huge edge. Both saws were running a 7-tooth rim and the 441 was turning about a few more RPM than the 7900, I believe. The 7900 was running 13200 or so. The torque edge obviously went to the Dolmar, but the 441 is a heck of a solid performer and is a LOT stronger than stock.

So the big question: is the modded 441 worth it? Well, $700 + porting work for a 441 is a lot more than $600-700 for a 7900. If you're a Stihl fan or if you're really concerned about fuel economy, then the 441 might be a good choice. And the 441 does weigh a little bit less and is a bit more nimble, being (slightly) physically smaller than the 7900. But otherwise, I don't see it making a lot of sense from a power-per-dollar-per-pound analysis point of view.

OK, boys and girls, here are the videos:

441DN:

7900 with Kris' chain (oops, I started it a split second late...)

7900 with square ground:

7900 with my not-so-hot chain:

Last edited:
Here are a few more videos:

361DN with a 7-tooth rim:

361DN with an 8-tooth rim:

And last, but not least, a LONG video of my muffler modded Echo CS3400 with a semi-worn loop of Stihl PM:

And for those who wonder why my neighbors dislike me running saws in the yard, here's a view of my wood pile, which is directly behind where the camera was for the videos. I took this picture after cleaning up all the woodchips tonight. Yeah, not a lot of space to dissipate the sound of chainsaws...

Happy_Neighbors.jpg

That looks like some pretty small wood.

I would like to see a comparison with something at least 18 inches on the tape, minumum.

Nice vids.

Let's see some videos in big wood with the bars buried. That should be a better demonstration.

Nice vids.

Let's see some videos in big wood with the bars buried. That should be a better demonstration.

It'll be coming, as soon as we can scare up some big hardwood. Kris was supposed to have a big log to bring along - 30"+ - but someone stole it before he could bring it home.

That is the first 7900 Ive seen run that saw is nice but that modded 441 really kept up the small wood made for a close race!

Thanks for the 361 videos too. What was the wood type and size across?

Cassy/Computeruser

Fellows I got to tell ya I sat here and thought forget those saws. I admire the way you too went about comparing the saws. Most would look for some excuse as to why his saw did this or that. I see none of that between you two and thats admirable. You guys got it right, good sportsmanship is rare these days. You both have some fine saws there. I say good job to the both of you!

Fellows I got to tell ya I sat here and thought forget those saws. I admire the way you too went about comparing the saws. Most would look for some excuse as to why his saw did this or that. I see none of that between you two and thats admirable. You guys got it right, good sportsmanship is rare these days. You both have some fine saws there. I say good job to the both of you!

Yeah, we werent racing for bragging rights!!

We both really wanted to see what the 441 had, and knowing how well the 7900 runs and pulls, what better saw to compare it too!!

Brandon hit it pretty good though.....Dollar for Dollar the 7900 is still a better saw.

Latest posts

Back