Dawgs! Spikes! Are Mine Right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELLC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a set of larger size bumper spikes for my MS 440 Magnum today. The stock ones were small and it only came on the crank side. I went to my local dealer and he looked up the part numbers and came back with two larger spikes. One for each side obviously. The one that mounts to the inner side is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch shorter in spike length compared to the larger spike on the bar cover side. If you look straight down at the spikes from the top of the saw you can see the crank side is a little shorter. The bar cover spike will hit the bark first. Is this the way they are supposed to be? I would think that they should be equal in size. I figured it was ok because the stihl parts book said it was the part. Let me know what you think. Thanks!::rolleyes:

They are supposed to be equal length. You may have on for a 044 and one for an 066. When I went to buy the cover side dawg for my 066 they kept getting one that was shorter than the one on the crank side. It was the same as the one for my 044. Finally I gave them the saw and the stihl rep got them the one I needed. I can look on my 440 and let you know what the part numbers are if you want. BWalker may know, I bought my 440 from him.
Tod

That would be great if you could get the part numbers for me. I took two trips to the saw shop today to try and get the right ones. The part numbers would be a great help!! Thanks!:blob2:

The dawgs for the 044/440, 064, and 066 are all the same. The only dawgs in the larger saws that are different is the outside dawg for the 046/460, because its case is slightly longer than the rest. Here's the part numbers for the dawgs you should have on your 440:

inside: 1122 664 0506

outside: 1122 664 0501

The part number for the outside 046/460 dawg is:

1128 664 0501

The 1122 number indicates the 064/066 family series, some parts of which interchange with smaller saws.

The 1128 number indicates the 044/440/046/460 family series, but again the 044/440 uses the same outside dawg as a 064/066.

Here's the problem: If you use the bigger outside dawg on the 044/440, but you're using the small sprocket/clutch cover ( part number 1125 640 1701 ), then your dawgs will not line up.

This is true on all the big saws except the 046/460.

For the dawgs to line up, you need the large sprocket cover, part number 1122 648 0401( cover only, the complete cover with the dawg and rubber chip deflector is 1122 007 1019 ) . This large cover lines everything up.

Thank you very much for the detiled reply. So in short, I have to buy the larger cover if I want to use the larger dawg on the outside? But the problem is that the outside dawg is sticking out further than the inside dawg with the stock cover.Those are the same part numbers that the saw shop gave me as well. My problem is the inside dawg is shorter. Hope I interpreted your post right, now I am confused:rolleyes: .

My 440 has PN 1122 664 0500 on the cover side and 1122 664 0505 on the case/crank side and they line up purrrrrfect.:D

Leave it to stihl to make it confusing.:angry:

JacobJ, The 440 that Xander has was at one time mine(still regret selling it). The dogs on it are not the standard length HD dogs as found on the o66. They are a set of medium length ones and are silver in color vs the gold hd dogs. They weigh less than the big ones and are a little more insink with logging in MI.

Ben- those are hardwood dawgs that are standard fare on all the large saws that are sold in europe, as are the silver dawgs that are rounded on the bottom, instead of having one longer tooth on bottom.

What ever the reason........I like 'em!

Sorry you're unhappy about selling your saw. If it makes you feel any better I opened up the muffler a bit and she really stands up and barks. The saw is still run on synthetic and has adjusted well to her new home. Have anymore saws you want to part with?

Hey xander, Did you put on the stihl aftermarket muffler that is opened up in the front. I put that on mine and it does help. Did you adjust your HS screw? I am not sure if mine needs a little turn out. It sounds ok. I am not to sure if I need to play it safe on this one. By the way, thanks for the info on the spikes. I am going to bring the saw into the shop tomorrow and let them figure it out!!:cool:

Ask your guy about part number 48 in the attached (old) page.

Glen

And it looks like it would match up with the standard spike on the crankcase.  Does (did) it?

Glen

That spike glens is referring to matches up to part# 1128 664 0500 on my older 044 with the smaller bar cover. For matters regarding the larger cover and/or larger spikes, I bow to the experts....

Chris B.

The saw had the dual port muffler on it when I got it. I calculated the area on the exhaust port and opened up the factory hole to get the 1.5 area needed when combined with the dual port cover. It will pull a 36" bar using skip chain, without a problem. It's lighter in the tree than the 066.

That spike glens is referring to matches up to part# 1128 664 0500 on my older 044 with the smaller bar cover. For matters regarding the larger cover and/or larger spikes, I bow to the experts....

Chris B.

Resurrecting this thread. So, if I want a smallish outer dawg to match up with the standard inner dawg, then I need to run 1128 664 0500. However, this doesn't provide for the beefier roller chain catcher. In order to run the roller chain catcher 1128 664 0500, I will need the outer dawg 1122 664 0506, the inner dawg 1122 664 0501, and the taller (looks to be taller on page 7 of the IPL) chain sprocket cover 1122 648 0401. Am I correct? Thanks.

ETA: I notice that these parts are standard on the 044R, full wrap version.

ETA2: If I understand this thread correctly, without the taller chain sprocket cover, the 1122 664 0501 and 1122 664 0506 dawgs will not line up. Correct?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back