Books on fellin trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derag2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Whats a good book on felling trees? Like explaining the different cuts to make trees do what you want and stuff like that... I've cut down alot of trees with my 350 but i'd like to be more techinical on my cuts to make trees do what i want. Im thinking about getting some wedges to help out but i want to read up on the variety of cuts for different situations.

Thanks guys for any help ahead of time!

Whats a good book on felling trees? Like explaining the different cuts to make trees do what you want and stuff like that... I've cut down alot of trees with my 350 but i'd like to be more techinical on my cuts to make trees do what i want. Im thinking about getting some wedges to help out but i want to read up on the variety of cuts for different situations.

Thanks guys for any help ahead of time!

D. Douglas Dent "Professinal Timber Falling -A Procedural Approach"

I bought this book along with a dozen wedges and a Peltor helmet from Bailey's. Very pleased with everything. Quick shipping, accurate and good quality products.

The book is good reading and well illustrated. As has been pointed out to me recently by an AS member, Page 110 has the "Desired Felling Direction" and the Natural Felling Direction" switched.

info

I'd suggest both books.
Beranek's book contains much that is about tree climbing operations that is of limited use to a ground faller. But often he explains things a little better.
Dents book is old, but the physics and the knowledge haven't changed, (but a little on the knowledge end), it is still a good source.

Eventually you might want to go with a source that is more directed toward your trees. The eBook by Tim Ard on tree falling may prove of interest.

I like Dent's book too. Beranek's is also very good, but higher priced. Your local library can locate most any book for you.
I was in the library recently to pick up " Sometimes a Great Notion ". Browsing thru the new release section I spied "The Backyard Lumberjack" and brought it home. Have just skimmed thru it and enjoyed it so far but the illus. of felling cuts are very "backyard". Mismatched face cuts and no mention of any effects this might have. Hinge wood cut completly thru in at least one picture and in others the backcut looks to be about a foot above the face. I am not saying that I have never made a poor looking stump, but pictures like this, especially in a how to book are no good.
Searching and "sifting" old threads here on AS will also bring you a lot of good info.

In addition to Dent and Beraneks' books, another good manual is from Husqvarna titled 'Working with a chain saw'. Part # 106364926 should run about $10 at a Husky dealer. It covers safety, felling, limbing, maintenance, etc. Good inexpensive reference.
Mark

Thanks for that link, it is a quick synopsis of the actual book which has 79 pages and delves into more details. But that is definatly a good start to learn some technique and free is good.
Mark

Latest posts

Back