40ft Tree (broken) Leaning 40ft Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be wrong with using pulleys in a block & tackle set up? Get the 3/4 or 5/8 rope up at the entanglement, and attach one pulley at the base of one of the two trees it is hung up on so that the direction of force is straight down. The other pulley at the base of the other tree, and pull from far away. Or forget the setup, and just use one pulley at the base.? Not a trained arborist, just looking at this from an unskilled homeowners point of view.

What would be wrong with using pulleys in a block & tackle set up? Get the 3/4 or 5/8 rope up at the entanglement, and attach one pulley at the base of one of the two trees it is hung up on so that the direction of force is straight down. The other pulley at the base of the other tree, and pull from far away. Or forget the setup, and just use one pulley at the base.? Not a trained arborist, just looking at this from an unskilled homeowners point of view.

It not always about "what might work." Many times it's about "if this doesn't work, where does that leave us"

Lots of times, a rope is sufficient to pull a tree over. But if you setup a rope and start pulling, sometimes where the tree ends up means you can't safely get the rope off OR setup a strap/choker and cable. So it might take considerably more time on the front end to save time from having to fuss around twice, all-the-while putting yourself in a dangerous situation at the same time.

1. A straight down pull? Not sure what that is going to accomplish. If you're looking to pull it down through that entanglement ideally your direction of pull would be in a tangent perpendicular to the trunk.
2. You're looking to pull it down through that entanglement? That tree is yoked up in 2 separate trees pretty dang good. I'm not sure you realize the force that would be necessary to force it through, not to mention, what did those 2 trees ever do to you? You are going to break a lot of branches and create a lot of widowmakers, and damage 2 more trees in an area where you've already lost one tree.
3. As humburner said, what if you're unsuccessful? Now you have a rope stuck up in the tree, you have made a bad situation even worse, and caused damage to 2 more trees.
4. You're going to spend more on ropes slings and pullies than it would cost to have a climber come take it down, why go to all that trouble and risk?

Would these pecker poles even support a climber?
How about this redneck solution: bracket the cut with a few heavy duty ratchet straps tightened around the trunk to hold the wood together when the tension is released on the backside? Once the trunk is free you will still have to pull it away from the snag.

Would these pecker poles even support a climber?
How about this redneck solution: bracket the cut with a few heavy duty ratchet straps tightened around the trunk to hold the wood together when the tension is released on the backside? Once the trunk is free you will still have to pull it away from the snag.
How much pressure do you think that tree is applying? What size posts are holding up your deck? They're plenty big to climb.

Ratchet straps are a possible solution to prevent a further split/chair situation. It's still sketchy. Without being on-site to assess, it's just almost impossible to say what forces are involved from a few pictures.

Forgetting the split, I would imagine some sort of wind event caused this situation... the tree failed and fell into the other two. That wind event could have continued for hours, and I have seen where as the wind continued to sway the trees, and the windfall tree can literally "ratchet in"... they all get pushed, it slips a little further, and then a crotch keeps them from coming back. Even if you contain the split, when you cut it free from the stump it could shoot back twenty feet from that stored energy, or to the side, or roll, etc.

1. A straight down pull? Not sure what that is going to accomplish. If you're looking to pull it down through that entanglement ideally your direction of pull would be in a tangent perpendicular to the trunk.
2. You're looking to pull it down through that entanglement? That tree is yoked up in 2 separate trees pretty dang good. I'm not sure you realize the force that would be necessary to force it through, not to mention, what did those 2 trees ever do to you? You are going to break a lot of branches and create a lot of widowmakers, and damage 2 more trees in an area where you've already lost one tree.
3. As humburner said, what if you're unsuccessful? Now you have a rope stuck up in the tree, you have made a bad situation even worse, and caused damage to 2 more trees.
4. You're going to spend more on ropes slings and pullies than it would cost to have a climber come take it down, why go to all that trouble and risk?
Your answer seems very sensible. Thanks.

An interesting thread, as I have a few "hangers", that I'll have to deal with in the Spring. But, nothing that big, or hung up in other trees that I can't drop as well. Some excellent ideas have been offered and discussed.
I'm old, retired, and don't climb anymore. I have an "effed right rotator cuff, that doesn't bother me for anything except throwing something overhand. My aim with a throw sac sucks, which is surprising, because I have a deadly sense of aim. Someone mentioned using a softball to put a line up, or ratchet strapping the trunk, and using a ladder tied to the tree to get a line up and around.
I've been using a bow and arrow to get a line higher up in a tree than I could possibly get that high any other way. Just a 30 pound draw compound practice bow, some Para cord, and an arrow. The bow is a decent piece of kit.. optical sights.. whisker brush.. trigger style release, etc. I'm fairly accurate with it.
Walk backwards from the tree, laying out line.. lay out line till I'm at the point where I can send the arrow through the branches at the height I want., at a 45 degree angle ( ish). Lay out enough cord to reach the tree branch, and add a bit more to let the arrow drop down from the crotch. Step on the cord, and fire away. The foot on the cord stops the arrow, and down it comes. Then, flip the cord till the arrow is reachable. Pull the cord through until you have enough to send it back. Or, pull the rope that you're using over the limb. Send the arrow back over the other side, and pull the rope after it.
I know, I know.. Not a "Professional" way of doing it. But, better than a softball, or a ladder. Especially for a Homeowner who shouldn't climb, or put a ladder up against a compromised tree. But, ... Hey .. It works!!
Not specifically saying that this is an answer to the OP's problem, but, it's definitely a solution to getting a line on a tree, without your feet leaving the ground.

No, just no. There is no safe way to cut this from the ground. There are learned techniques that came make it safer, but none you will learn from an internet forum. I only attacked trees like this from the ground when there wasn't a good aerial option. The safest way to take this one is top down, all day long.

This is the kind of tree I made my gravy from, after the customer would tell me 3 other companies had already no bid it. It's just not a homeowner grade tree.
You nailed it here lots, of options to climb and safely lower it top down. Anything else is just plain dangerous.

Call a real tree service and pony up, or take your chances of being one of those guys saying dam I should have called someone who knows what they are doing.

An interesting thread, as I have a few "hangers", that I'll have to deal with in the Spring. But, nothing that big, or hung up in other trees that I can't drop as well. Some excellent ideas have been offered and discussed.
I'm old, retired, and don't climb anymore. I have an "effed right rotator cuff, that doesn't bother me for anything except throwing something overhand. My aim with a throw sac sucks, which is surprising, because I have a deadly sense of aim. Someone mentioned using a softball to put a line up, or ratchet strapping the trunk, and using a ladder tied to the tree to get a line up and around.
I've been using a bow and arrow to get a line higher up in a tree than I could possibly get that high any other way. Just a 30 pound draw compound practice bow, some Para cord, and an arrow. The bow is a decent piece of kit.. optical sights.. whisker brush.. trigger style release, etc. I'm fairly accurate with it.
Walk backwards from the tree, laying out line.. lay out line till I'm at the point where I can send the arrow through the branches at the height I want., at a 45 degree angle ( ish). Lay out enough cord to reach the tree branch, and add a bit more to let the arrow drop down from the crotch. Step on the cord, and fire away. The foot on the cord stops the arrow, and down it comes. Then, flip the cord till the arrow is reachable. Pull the cord through until you have enough to send it back. Or, pull the rope that you're using over the limb. Send the arrow back over the other side, and pull the rope after it.
I know, I know.. Not a "Professional" way of doing it. But, better than a softball, or a ladder. Especially for a Homeowner who shouldn't climb, or put a ladder up against a compromised tree. But, ... Hey .. It works!!
Not specifically saying that this is an answer to the OP's problem, but, it's definitely a solution to getting a line on a tree, without your feet leaving the ground.
I like your bow and arrow idea.

Some one asked earlier what kind of tree it is... looks like a poplar to me. I've had to take down many leaning/hanging poplars that looked as big or bigger than the one he has pictured. Around here, by the time they get to be 40 years old, many start rotting and letting go - especially those with twisted, wind shake grain. The odd one will live to be 70-75, but not many of them.

You nailed it here lots, of options to climb and safely lower it top down. Anything else is just plain dangerous.

Call a real tree service and pony up, or take your chances of being one of those guys saying dam I should have called someone who knows what they are doing.
Exactly. From a climber's perspective, this is an easy tree. Get above the mess, and start whittling, removing contact points from above the problem, reassessing after each cut, until the final contact point, then release it and.let it do what it wants, while you are safely ABOVE the party. From the ground, it's a total widowmaker... that term gets used so often it has lost a little of its punch, but that tree is a total widowmaker from the ground, just too many unknowns.

Fishin pole and a triangle weight, If if gets hung up, break and try again.tie twine or paracord to the fishing line if and when the weight comes down. Can reach a branch 50 or so feet up this way, cheaply. I have used some of the (two-sided) hand held chain saw chains to remove troublesome branches.Takes some effort and a lot easier with two people as the angle on the branch is greater and doesn't pinch as readily. Grease or lube the crap out of the chain. Love the arrow idea.

I took have a bad right shoulder, a hanger tree, and a bow. My question to you is, how do you attach the Paracord to the arrow without ruining its accuracy?

Hi!

I'm pretty confident in my skills of felling a tree in its basic aspect. However, the attached is the photos. This tree is dangerous.

What is the safest way to fell the tree with a farm boss stilh MS 271?

Like what is the way to cut it?
Is it leaning towards anything it can it or is it open woods notch it and bring it down if it gets hung up under cut chunks off of it each piece. You cut will drop the tree downwards freeing it from where it is hung up on the other trees if it's hung up pretty good climb up it as far and safe as you can and put a rope in it if not tie into one of the surrounding trees and climb it that way

Is it leaning towards anything it can it or is it open woods notch it and bring it down if it gets hung up under cut chunks off of it each piece. You cut will drop the tree downwards freeing it from where it is hung up on the other trees if it's hung up pretty good climb up it as far and safe as you can and put a rope in it if not tie into one of the surrounding trees and climb it that way
Did you look at the pics?

I took have a bad right shoulder, a hanger tree, and a bow. My question to you is, how do you attach the Paracord to the arrow without ruining its accuracy?
I've had 2 shoulder surgeries, couldn't throw overhand to save my life at this point, but I'm still good to at least 50-60' with a throwball, pick a crotch. I guarantee it's easier on the shoulder than a bow. I couldn't draw even a 30 lb bow if the commanches were coming. And paracord is just horrible for a throwline, too much friction and too limp and prone to tangling. An afternoon of practice with a proper throwball and you'll never use anything else.

Latest posts

Back