joining chain - can you peen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got some extra links from baileys for my ripping chain (old bar, different DL count, need to extend etc.). I was going to take it to a dealer to join up. But now I see how easy it is as they've provided the un-joined links I thought I could do it myself. Is it ok to peen the links together, or is using a spinner clamp (not up on the chain making lingo) a must?

It looks like peening would do that job fine, but don't want to chance a chain brake if it is an inferior method...

I just got some extra links from baileys for my ripping chain (old bar, different DL count, need to extend etc.). I was going to take it to a dealer to join up. But now I see how easy it is as they've provided the un-joined links I thought I could do it myself. Is it ok to peen the links together, or is using a spinner clamp (not up on the chain making lingo) a must?

It looks like peening would do that job fine, but don't want to chance a chain brake if it is an inferior method...

It does work in a pinch,,, but spun rivets are best,,, JMHO

It's not particularly easy to peen these rivets by hand but if you've peened before there's no reason why it shouldn't be sucessful. Be careful not to overtighten the link. Personally I use the Oregon spinner and note that they no longer recommended hand peening (simply by omission ) in their maintenance manual, but as I recall they certainly did show it as an option previously.

right, sounds like I'll try peening. there's one spare, so if I #### up I'll go to a dealer. It's not worth buying a spinner as I don't go through enough chain to warrant doing my own. I've peened variuos rivets quite a bit before so know how...
The shoulder prevents you from over tightening right? Just so long as you don't bash bash the 5hit out of it that is. If oregon used to recommend it, I guess there's no harm if you're mindful.

I peen them all the time, only overtightened one, and never had one come apart, even on the big saws. I've got a punch I use to get them started, it has an indentation in the bottom which starts the roundover nicely, then hammer it out on a piece of rail. I inspect them every sharpening, and don't even have one that looks stressed.

Mark

I peen them all the time, only overtightened one, and never had one come apart, even on the big saws. I've got a punch I use to get them started, it has an indentation in the bottom which starts the roundover nicely, then hammer it out on a piece of rail. I inspect them every sharpening, and don't even have one that looks stressed.

Mark

good to hear! That punch - you mean a nail punch? Good idea, got a few of them lying around...

Latest posts

Back