STIHL Fuel caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Brushcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

Can i get some of the new STIHL fuel caps that you lifet part of them up and twist them off and put them on my old 020T or do they need a special fuel tank to lock into. My old screwdriver tightened caps are looking a bit nackered.

Thanks

Andy

gas/oil caps

The old style 020 caps were good, the screw principle worked for thousands of years, then they changed it, why? The old style caps are to be tightened by hand, not screwdrivers, uneducated or weak groundsman ruin them with skrenches. They will not interchange.

They do not interchange. Just get a new screw cap.

The new style tanks with the cam lock caps suck. The oil cap especially can fool you into thinking it's locked but will fall off as soon as you hold the saw over your leg. Almost 20 years of running saws and only had an oil cap fall off once until I got two new Stihls. In the last 1.5 years I've gotten an oil bath at least 6 times.

Clearance is correct. The screw caps work perfectly until some moron starts overtightening them with a scrench. Remove the scrench from the vicinity of the gas and oil so morons don't just automatically grab it and ruin the caps.

I have to agree with skwerl. The new Stihl caps may look fancy and you don"t need a tool to operate them, but I have wet my pants :)confused: ) with fuel on two occasions, because the fuel cap simply popped out during operation. It was due to me not closing them properly, but it is easy to get fooled and think they are properly closed.
I had the same problem only once with the oil cap.

Sometimes toolmakers forget the first rule : "KISS" (keep it simple, stupid):clap:

Last edited:
clearance said:
The old style 020 caps were good, the screw principle worked for thousands of years, then they changed it, why? The old style caps are to be tightened by hand, not screwdrivers, uneducated or weak groundsman ruin them with skrenches. They will not interchange.

I happen to like them but you are correct. The world hasn't improved any since their introduction. Why do I like them? Because I can fasten the cap with a quick quarter turn and flip vice screwing them in a few turns. That is a rediculous reason but it is the only thing I can think of that the new design accomplished. I still like 'em tho.

Harry K

I'll get some more screw ones then. I've found the oil one is a pain to get tight by hand. I'll don't like the new fuel caps either i was wondering if it was a total change over thing. Don't like STIHLs that much and i only use there 020T everything else is Husky.

I personally love these caps, now. At first I didnt think id like them, then I thought I hated them when I almost picked up my ms250 and noticed it wasnt on right, luckly I didnt get an oil bath and caught it. Since then they have grown on me I find my self double checking them after a fill up, just before I pick up the saw the first time which i didnt have to do with the screw on caps, but I really like them now.

The main reason the old caps had a slot for your scrench was to loosen them if they were tight, not for tightening them with. All that does is promote stripping the heads due to overtightening and subsequent tough removal. The slot lets you loosen them when they are just a little too tight for hand removal.

If your caps are leaking, clean them up, replace the o-ring, or just replace the whole cap. Tightening them with a scrench till they strip out isn't the answer.

What I have seen is that when groundsmen keep on using a skrench cause they are too weak/lazy the cap, usually the oil cap, gets a hole in it. Also the oil cap on the 200 can be finicky, you have to mess with it, the old saying; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I like the old caps, but like the new caps also. It is nice not to have to reach for the wrench - much easier to tighten the new cap , especially the oily cap in freezing weather with cold hands... Yes, you do have to be sure that you snug it down before rotation, but...

It has nothing to do with "after market" caps being too readily available.. There's the same supply of after market caps for the new style also... and I get to sell a LOT less caps now the wrench isn't poking though the top of the fuel cap..

TreeCo said:
How much are those replacement caps?

Do you have just the o-ring for the 200m caps? Or can I just get an O-ring at the hardware store?

One of my 200m's looks like it's starting to leak gas around the o-ring.

I keep my scrench stuck in the vent hole of my 2.5 gallon gas can. Makes it easy to keep track of and is always right there. The can doesn't leave home without it.

Thanks,

Dan

Not sure what a "200m" is.. The o-ring for the gas cap is about $1.25 and for the oil cap about 35 cents, list price from your stihl dealer... You might be able to match it in the hardware store. For an MS250 o-rings for example, oil - 23x3mm, gas - 25x3.5mm

clearance said:
What I have seen is that when groundsmen keep on using a skrench cause they are too weak/lazy the cap, usually the oil cap, gets a hole in it. Also the oil cap on the 200 can be finicky, you have to mess with it, the old saying; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I use a scrench every single time I gas up as does everyone I have ever worked with. It has nothing to do with being weak or lazy - just there is nothing worse than limbing up a tree and looking at you boot and seeing bar oil all over it. I have never ruined a cap by doing it that way either, but I don't tweak on them either just cinch them up tight enough to where they won't over tighten and tight enough to wehere they won't rattle losse.

Count me in as not liking the new caps on my 200. If you don't get them lined up they don't lock. Maybe they will grow on me. Hope so
Greg Harrison

Back