Light it up !!! (PHOTOS)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Some Photos of the 30 plate heat exchanger set up with a hydronic system. The inside boiler circ loop pulls from the boiler drain outlet and is pushed through the exchanger and back into the boiler at the pressure relief valve at the the top left front corner. I filled the 5036 yesterday, about 200 gallons from my well (was 52 Degrees F). Filled box about 3/4 full, put in two road flares, closed the door, and voila about 1.5 hours later it was up to temp at 185 F. One picture is of the growing woodpile another is of the Thermo pex where it enters my basement through the foundation. It is working very well, any questions about this install, I will answer them here.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Very nice work, do it all yourself? My gf thinks I'm a fool cause I said that the plumbing is beautiful. :dizzy: Women! Now you will find yourself waking up in the middle of the night wondering how your fire is doing, get up, look out window at furnace and smile. Happy burning!

Kyle

Last edited:
Very nice work, do it all yourself? My gf thinks I'm a fool cause I said that the plumbing is beautiful. :dizzy: Women! Now you will find yourself waking up in the middle of the night wondering how your fire is doing, get up, look out window at furnace and smile. Happy burning!

Kyle

lol....i was going to comment on the plumbing job too....so, two fools hanging around.

nice work!!!

Nice work and set up.

So the heated water from the OWB never goes through the heating system....just hits the exchanger and heats the water running through to the baseboards?

I always thought the OWB heated water was directly tied into the "loop" of the house hold baseboard system.

Nice work and set up.

So the heated water from the OWB never goes through the heating system....just hits the exchanger and heats the water running through to the baseboards?

I always thought the OWB heated water was directly tied into the "loop" of the house hold baseboard system.

My installation keeps the inside system pressurized (18 psi) and the OWB side remains unpressureized. The plate exchanger speed of transfer is very surprising to me. We'll see how it works as the weather cools off and it's cycling more. I have the OWB set at the factory temp of 185F. My aquastat on the Weil-McLean is at 140F. If I find the oil burner kicking on I'll raise the OWB to 190F (It can go to 195F). I also have 15 gallons of hydronic antifreeze in the OWB (just in case). A plumber buddy of mine helped me out, I wish I could claim it as my own work, I think it came out great. I gave some of these pics to my CB dealer today and he thought it looked awesome as well. If you are considering a similar set-up I can post more pics of what you need to see. Also not pictured, have a 1/2" freshwater line cut into the return pex with a back-check valve----DO YOU WANT TO BE OUT THERE IN JANUARY CLIMBING ON THIS THING WITH A GARDEN HOSE WHEN IT'S 5 BELOW ZERO?
This allows adding water to the OWB from your basement.:chainsaw:

Last edited:

Kyle

Kyle, I have binoculars in my bedroom, I can look out my BR window and check the temp from the comfort of inside!!!!!! I might just get a cheappie pair on ebay just for this task.

Nice, especially the thermometers on the lines from the HX. I may need to steal that idea when I fix the slight leak i have on one of my compression fittings.

Nice to have the option to add water that way. I got my 6048 last November. It has run non stop and we haven't had to add a drop of water.

My installation keeps the inside system pressurized (18 psi) and the OWB side remains unpressureized. The plate exchanger speed of transfer is very surprising to me. We'll see how it works as the weather cools off and it's cycling more. I have the OWB set at the factory temp of 185F. My aquastat on the Weil-McLean is at 140F. If I find the oil burner kicking on I'll raise the OWB to 190F (It can go to 195F). I also have 15 gallons of hydronic antifreeze in the OWB (just in case). A plumber buddy of mine helped me out, I wish I could claim it as my own work, I think it came out great. I gave some of these pics to my CB dealer today and he thought it looked awesome as well. If you are considering a similar set-up I can post more pics of what you need to see. Also not pictured, have a 1/2" freshwater line cut into the return pex with a back-check valve----DO YOU WANT TO BE OUT THERE IN JANUARY CLIMBING ON THIS THING WITH A GARDEN HOSE WHEN IT'S 5 BELOW ZERO?
This allows adding water to the OWB from your basement.:chainsaw:

Great idea setting up line to refill from the basement. Wish I could say I have an OWB on the horizon...will have to stick with our woodstoves for now. Best of luck with it.

Scooter - very nice work and thanks for taking and sharing the pics......

ps. most people think were crazy looking at plumbing and install pics and having a good 'ol time !!!

Pex

Interesting install . Whats with the delivery line though is that garden hose ?

No, it's 1" PEX oxygen barrier tubing. I don't think garden hose would hold up to 185 degree F water for too long. (Also I can guarantee it's not within code to use garden hose for hydronic heating):chainsaw:

Pipe

Nice to have the option to add water that way. I got my 6048 last November. It has run non stop and we haven't had to add a drop of water.

Do you have the standard 2 sections of 4' pipe or did you add to it? I am considering adding another section with the brace that hooks onto the roof lug of the unt. Might have a better draft and get the smoke up just a little more.

Some Photos of the 30 plate heat exchanger set up with a hydronic system. The inside boiler circ loop pulls from the boiler drain outlet and is pushed through the exchanger and back into the boiler at the pressure relief valve at the the top left front corner. I filled the 5036 yesterday, about 200 gallons from my well (was 52 Degrees F). Filled box about 3/4 full, put in two road flares, closed the door, and voila about 1.5 hours later it was up to temp at 185 F. One picture is of the growing woodpile another is of the Thermo pex where it enters my basement through the foundation. It is working very well, any questions about this install, I will answer them here.:chainsaw:

Looks very good we have to get out 6048 on line now just got it on the pad and piped in underground.

Do you have the standard 2 sections of 4' pipe or did you add to it? I am considering adding another section with the brace that hooks onto the roof lug of the unt. Might have a better draft and get the smoke up just a little more.

Have 2 sections of pipe. I considered adding on in the beginning as it smoked quite a bit the first week or so. I was told by CB dealer that it would smoke a lot until the paint on the inside had cured. I figured he was laying on the BS but he was bang on. I hardly notice the smoke at all. I ran it all summer for hot water and pool heating. I had to go over to check many times to see if it was still runiing as there was no smoke at all. I also find that when the flu is open and the fan is running , the smoke is literally blown right up the stack
and usually keeps going up and away.

Latest posts

Back