State of the wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As my second burning season comes to an end I was peering out the kitchen window at the wood pile and thinking where I was, comparing my situation to last year and thinking where I want to be and what I need to do to achieve it. I thought I'd note it down in a 'State of the woodpile' address. I'll break it into sections, seems logical.

The Stove
In 2 years I've gone from no stove and using gas for my heating, to one stove and then on to two. Both stoves are small by most of you gents standard, at 5kW nominal, about 18500 btu/hour I think. I am limited by the fireplace and chimney size (no way would my fiancee allow a stove stood out in front of the fireplace, or anywhere else!). Small stoves mean frequent reloading, 2 small stoves mean VERY frequent reloading but it is what it is and works quite well. It's enough stove to heat the house even on the coldest days this winter (snow on the ground, 5 days just below 0C the whole time) with the open plan downstairs, where the stoves are, at 22-24C, bedrooms upstairs at 18-19.5C, all rather comfy. Over night burns and such are never going to happen so the timer controlled gas boiler warms the house in the morning and if I'm out. I'm in enough though to get through about 2.5 cord and save a big big chunk off the gas bill. Short of getting my fiancee to load the stoves if I'm not around (unlikely!) I can't really increase capacity, but don't really need to either. Going forward, maybe try and train my fiancee.

The pile
supplies sit at about 15m3 (just over 4 cord) css, another 3 ish M3 (almost a cord) scrounged and on the premises. With supplying wood to my parents for their small stove as well as my own needs I consume about 10 m³ each winter. I'm pleased with that position, especially as the Oak content is quite good, but I'd like to be slightly better in a year's time. Going forward I'd like to scrounge CSS 12 or 15 m³ over the next year. I don't have space for much more!

The shed
I'm filling an old 8'6" x6'6" garden shed, the rest is stacked on pallets along my fence, or against the south facing front wall of the house, getting top cover from tarps over the winter. Given my limited space in a suburban garden I can't do much more....I get a lot of raised eyebrows from the fiancee as new stacks appear! While more shed space would be ideal, the current system works well and was low cost. If I thought a house move in the next decade unlikely then I might build more shed, but we might move.... So going forward it's not a priority. I do intend to stack a little beside the patio though, so I've no need to cross the lawn when it's really really wet.

The tools
For 1.5 years it was my car, an ms180 and an axe. The cheap maul was soon replaced with an X27. Things have grown steadily. Splitting is still manual but the armoury is stihl pro maul, X27, x17, hatchet, 4 wedges and a sledge and 2 pickaroons. I've looked at electric splitters in passing.... Not yet. The bucking tools have grown through addition of an 038avs and most recently an ms660 ( in bits, needs rebuilding). The 660 is more a project to increase my knowledge, but I'm good for saws... Over sawed even. Going forward, get the 660 running, decide what to do with the 038 super, might sell on.
The scrounge vehicle is the car. I've considered a trailer but since my supply trips are short it is as easy to make two trips as pull a trailer from its parking and hook it up, not that I have a good parking spot for one either. Going forward I'm going to need some new dust sheets for the boot (trunk).

The supply
I've been lucky. I found a local tree guy early on and get all my wood from him. He is great, even texts me when he has oak, locust and such like. I'm always slightly nervous something will happen that could kill this but I ensure I'm polite and tidy so I don't kill it. Going forward, make hay while the sun shines, and get 12-15....no 18m3 over the next 12 months.

So in summary, things are going well, plenty of wood, good supply, tools in a good position. How's everyone else doing?

Like money in the bank, more is better, so don't slack off during the wood cutting season.[/QUOTE]
This statement hit the nail on the head. I need to get started on my 15 cords for next year the wood is already logged just need to buck and split. We had a cold winter so I burned a lot of wood. Been busy with field work then it rained and now there talking about rain the next four days. I would like to get some done before it time to plant corn. If I don't get going the next time I turn around summer will be here and we will making firewood when it is 100 degrees.

For the last couple of years I do my best to keep 2 years of wood stacked and covered and a years supply there to split. Wife thought I was nuts until I told her that if I would get hurt, sick or die there was heat ready for 2 years until other arrangements could be made.

I cut wood for 2 years from now and haven't bought propane in 2 years. It's getting down there now but I want to make it to the end. The propane company told me to stop sending them my 25 dollars a month. It's hard work but finally I've got a system working. I'm still using an x27 for splitting but it's worth it.

Like mentioned above the wife told me she couldn't afford to live here with out me so at least there is wood to burn for a year or so then f the next guy lol. I have 2 kids so I have to survive life.

On track for never getting ahead here. Will burn just over 7 cords this year. Have a little more then 3 in cue to be split and shedded.

Might take some hollow oaks down to fill out. Might be a little corky inside but will dry fast.

Have some standing dead maples in the slew. But too much snow and standing water to get to right now. Gotta get em either hard frost or drought of summer.

Nice hearing from other firewood burners from around the globe.
Thanks for giving us a little look inside your passion to cut, season and burn.
I usually burn wood as auxiliary heat and mainly in the shoulder seasons so I'm only burning about 2-3 cords a year.

The Stove
I have an extra large stove that will burn overnight and has secondary burn tubes. It's a Drolet HT2000 with a burn chamber of about 3.5 cubic feet and puts out about (max efficiency) 95,000 btu/hr that can handle up to 22" logs and with a 6" flue and it weighs 550 lb all in.
I'm happy with it as it was a replacement for an old Century stove. It's centered in the basement on the concrete pad and has a straight Superflu 8" (I/D) stainless, double insulated chimney that rises about 20' straight up.
My wife is a lot better at building a fire now then she was 10 years ago (with some easy coaching from me), but she says she will never be a master of fire like me (awe). I find the trick to getting her helping is to make the splits not-to-big and to keep the tools nearby the stove door.
She always wears the gloves and uses the poker only. No axes or sharp tools for her...lol.

The firewood racks
The wood is usually Red oak, Sugar Maple, Black Cherry and some Ash along with some softer woods from time to time and sits just outside the basement doors on 6 racks built under the protected deck.
These can hold about 2.5 cords in total and get used in order. I'm happy with this set-up but I may build some nicer looking steel racks on concrete pads in future. I am a welder by trade so have access to steel and have 3 welding machines to cover any welding needed and can build some custom racks once my shop is built. I do have space to build a few other lean-to style wood sheds on my 2 acre property and have started acquiring the lumber and materials to do so this year.

The piles
I'm using wood pallets for extra wood right now and just placing them out along the property line for seasoning it. I do intend to build a firewood lean-to there with two bays of about 8'x10 each to keep an extra 2-3 cords of wood to rotate in.

The tools
I bought a new Stihl MS291 for my very first firewood saw and love it. It was on for $499.00 CAD with a case, mix oil and 3 year warranty from a local farm store and Stihl dealer.
I also found a used Stihl 044 for $350 in great condition with a brand new 18" bar chain on Kijiji and scooped it up for blocking and felling larger trees and logs. I did go and buy a brand new 28" bar for it too so I have some good saws to cover just about all of my cutting needs.
I picked up a great little electric splitter 8 years back too. It's a 4 ton Yardworks and I got it on sale for $299.00 from $449.00 CAD. I do recommend anyone using one even if its just for kindling of reducing delivered firewood blocks.
I just bought a large hydro splitter too. It is a 35 ton Forest King with a Subaru engine, but I have to assemble it yet. It should handle all my splitting needs and then some.

The Supply
I have scrounged wood, cut wood from my own property and have bough wood from local cutters too. My ideal supply would be to have logs delivered and then block, split and stack myself.
Local suppliers are a lot of money for a 7 cord load though so I'm still looking for steady supply. Recently I have found a guy with a lot of land that sells me some maple and cherry for $100 a cord, but who knows how long he will have it.
Most local log deliveries here want about $1200 CAD for 7-8 cords of logs so that's what people pay them. OUCH.

For now I'll keep improving and posting what I do.
Hope to see all you fellas setups and stuff you do.
I like good pics so keep 'em coming.

Cut about 2 cords of windblown alder and maple so far and it's tarped and ready to split. Another 4 cords that has seasoned for a year and 2 more cords that are now 2/3 years seasoned ready to go in the shed. I've exhausted the local roadside blow downs and ready to move into fresh logged areas. Need another few cords to stay well ahead of the game.

Really nice to get out cutting, filing the truck and getting the heart pounding. Can't beat fresh air and hard work to clear the mind. :dancing:

Hey Marine, how do you like they electric splitter? 4 or 5 ton machines are about £150, 7 ton machines about another £110 on that. I'm put off by the specs which say maximum log diameter of 10". If the day comes I can't split those rounds with my fiskars well.....shoot me, ha ha. I considered one when I get the occasional 2' crotchety Oak round, but currently it gets noodled.

Looks like you've a good set up overall though, nice

My primary burning these days is the sauna stove and I have probably 2 plus years of hardwood for that. Need to put up 2-3 cords of fire pit wood plus a lady wants 4 cords of whatever I’ll bring her and another guy that will want a cord or two.

Sold my wheeler this winter and would really love up pick up a cheap tractor but I doubt that I’ll find anything local that doesn’t need a lot of work.

Back