PNW longbar hardwood GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedarkerf

Known to some as....
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Some pics of this weekends PNW GTG. Cut up a big pile of oak and some Douglas fir. Great time had by all. Great food great saws great set up. Speciel thanks to spotted Owl and family for their great hospitality.
attachment.php
Iron Bark running Treeslingers modded 880
attachment.php
Go logit cuttin some PNW sized Doug fir with mildly modded 660
attachment.php
attachment.php

man we miss out on all the fun outwest.

thanks for shareing

Hey, there were a bazillion and one saws there. Lots and lots of chainsaws. Old ones, new ones, and most all had really l o n g bars, just the way we like them. And there was one huge pile of nice green oak logs to cut up. Owl and his family will have firewood for a while from that.

Good fun and good people. Hats off to Owl and his wife for the great setting to meet up at. IronBark and his wife are really nice people with funny accents :cheers: Great weather too; no rain!

Thanks Spotted Owl!

Many thanks to Spotted Owl and his wife for hosting the event this year.
Thanks to everyone who went there early to help set up for the cutting (Bob, Bob and T).:clap::clap:
We had a really good time and hope to see all of you again.
Had a great time with Iron Bark and his wife from England.
To everyone else, great to see all of you and visit again. It was really nice to be able to really visit.
We lucked out on the weather this weekend too!
To bad Chow didn't sit in his chair this year. He canceled that event.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Oh, hey, thanks for the t-shirt Mountain Gal!

Also thanks to Boboak and RandyMac for the Baileys goodies and the Premix gas.

Oh, and the pies were good! :clap:

Last edited:
Great fun having Iron bark and his wife here for second year in a row from England. Great fun exchanging info learning from them how things work in England.

Yah, the Brits were a hoot at Owl's.

Hey, you seem to have lost your tan since you took that AS avatar photo...

Like here, I took pictures of the yarding operations. Bad pictures. Sleep deprivation does that.

A unique yarding system was used. The first attempt, not pictured, was using a no drum Toyota yarder hooked to a cornerblock on a Ford anchor.
Deflection, (lift) was poor, no suitable trees for intermediate supports (jacks) were to be had, and the Co-efficient of friction was excessive causing clutch and safety barrier wear on the Toyota. A larger yarder had to be brought in.
It too had no drums so a HUMAN haulback system was used. Payload varied as log size was not uniform. Several turns included bonus logs.
Production was satisfactory. The rigging crew showed up on time, and nobody was injured or worse. Talkie tooters were non-existant so elaborate hand and voice signals were used.

For those of you considering using this system, I would recommend a bigger block and use of twisters to hold the Ford corner block stump in place. Here is a picture of the rigging up of the corner block.

attachment.php

The rigging slinger signalling the yarder engineer.
attachment.php

The hooktender was quite demanding of his crew, and barked out orders.
attachment.php

You folks are mean, making that guy pull logs around when there is a truck right there.

Looks like a good time.

Last edited:
Yes, and I held a seminar on those :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:
flippy caps and demonstrated why we don't like them and how they can affect work productivity. One of the students was able to solve my "staged":monkey: flippy cap failure in a calm and professional matter.
He got an A.

I too, would like to thank Scott and Sarah (Owl's) for their hospitality. I had an great time, it was nice to get away and put some faces with names.

Last edited:
Some More

attachment.php
attachment.php
[/IMG]
Randy & "T" rigging the choker, then some Man sized "Cookies" followed by a view from the motel room window.
More views from a Fun Filled week end..........:clap:......Bob

For some reason my current version of windows isn't doing pictures and so far I'm not "getting it"! Sorry :dizzy:

Dang I'm sorry I missed it, the pics are great! Would love to have seen everybody again. Glad you all had a good time! :cheers:

Great time for all Thankyou to the host for putting this event on.
Me and the wife had a great time.

What a great time. I've been sitting on the porch a bit this afternoon looking at all the work ahead. The ringing in my ears will take a day or two to go away, but it was more than worth it.

Great company
Great fun
Great weather

What could be better than that.

Thanks to every one for making it another great year. Here's to the next :cheers:.

Mrs. has a request. She would like if possible, if you have photos could you e-mail them to us. She would like photo memories aswell.

Thanks to everyone

Owl

damn, i'm sorry to have missed that.

looks like some great fun, pretty country, and great weather.

thanks for sharing the pics.

Latest posts

Back