New York GTG 8/30/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a blast!

We oughta do one this fall. I had a great time. :greenchainsaw:

Here are my pics. I'll have the videos on YouTube very soon.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

Most rubber lined butterfly valve is vulcanized, a process which involves heating with a small quantity of sulphur (or equivalent cross-linking agent so as to stabilise the polymer chains, over a wide range of temperature. This discovery was made by Charles Goodyear in the 1844, but is a process restricted to polymer chains having a double-bond in the backbone. Such materials include natural rubber and polybutadiene. The range of materials available is much wider however, since all polymers become elastomeric above their glass transition temperature. However, the elastomeric state is unstable because chains can slip past one another resulting in creep or stress relaxation under static or dynamic load conditions. Chemical cross links add the stability to the network that is needed for most practical applications.

?

IMG_0619.jpg

Hey Spike is that your bottle of B&C oil? That's gotta be 15 years old!

Nice Pics Woodchucker81.

Steve

IMG_0619.jpg

Hey Spike is that your bottle of B&C oil? That's gotta be 15 years old!

Nice Pics Woodchucker81.

Steve

1992, right? Found a couple in the basement. The new Husky laundry detergent bottle doesn't fit in my milk crate, so that bottle is going to get refilled a few times. :)

That was a great time, and well worth the drive. (3 hours door to door).

Thanks a bunch to Walt for hosting us. Nice big spread there. Like having a GTG on the Ponderosa. And thanks to Jason who I know did lot's of set up work the day before.

Extra thanks to Jim, without whom we wouldn't have eaten near as good as we did. Enjoy that 750 project!

I'm glad willsawforbeer is alive and doing well. :)

For those of you that don't know, willsaw got stung by a bee (yes, stung by a bee out in the field in the rain at the end of the day after we all worked around an angry honeybees nest in the woods for over an hour). He's apparently extremely allergic. In just minutes, he was swelling up, turning red, and overall looking like absolute crap. He took benadryl and he had an Epi-Pen with him, but he wasn't ready to use it. Walt dropped him off at a medical clinic. When Walt came back, Jason, Walt, Dan, and myself cleaned everything up. Then Walt, Dan, and myself had to get willsaw's truck back to him. We arrived at the clinic and hung out there with willsaw until he was released. We spent almost an hour outside sharing injury stories as Walt wanted to wait a little while longer before willsaw drove home. Walt took willsaw to get something to eat and we parted ways.

Seems there's never a dull moment at our GTG's. Needless to say, willsaw I'm glad you're doing fine and you aren't dead! :)

Great pics, thanks for putting them up!!
Glad to hear that Will-saw's OK. Stupid bees!! They probably were searching all over the property to get even with us for cuttin' their tree down. Problem is they stung the only one who wasn't there cutting!:dizzy:
Glad everyone came and enjoyed the day at Walt's. I can't wait for the next one!

Interesting two days! And its good to see Joe is doing just fine...statistics? What are the chances.

First thanks to Chainsawwhisperer & motomedic for doing the grunt work Saturday to get those trees on the ground and up to the camp site in the hay fields! I could not have accomplished all that in one day myself! AND after the monsoon rain had soaked us thru and thru Chainsaw built the right kind of fire & food to warm us back to life. Thanks again!

Sunday was a busy day..spent time warming saws up at the camp site, most had a chance to run saws and/or INFORMALLY race saws (Homie 925 vs. Mac 850....basically a draw, Homie 925 is prettier & the Mac had the rpm edge!)

Jason got a chance to try out his Jason Engineered & Fabricated mill...pics show the results.

I got a chance to run this big Solo (Spikes) that sounds like a 125 crosser from the 1970's! I got a real kick (the good kind) out of that thing, Thanks Spike for the education!

Off to the woods & project number one: A maple with health issues.

After a 1/4 mile walk (or ride) east across the field and thru the woods, we got to a Maple that had a furture in the firewood business...Westspartan & woodchucker dropped it perfectly in the only place it could be worked on...and then we discovered we had disturbed a honey bee nest..they swarmed and gathered on a tree to find another place to bee...while they were doing that, the crew demolished that tree in a few minutes. Now I have a pile of firewood right there in the woods to split next year!

That just wet the crew's appetite..for bigger wood. Off to another place a 1/8 mile south of that maple to tackle a rather large ash that also had a fire wood future..the picture tell that story with the exception of all the "de-stressing" required to get it safely on the ground. A good couple of hours afternoon project. Yet again the crew demolished it as if they had done that type of thing before, and this was a substantial tree...and picture were taken and I will forever have to see my sloppy tree work! BUT even thought it was ugly & messy, I got that 10-15 degree shift from its desired fall line to get it to fall along the trail and in a cleared work area instead of over the bank into the prickers.

Then back up the hill, across the hay fields back to the camp site..more food and saw jawing & beginning to clean & pack up. Some saw swapping & trading happened...good food..Willsaw finally arrived as he had a busy day in process, I'm sorry he missed all the woods work; he was just beginning to show his nice running 038 at the camp area in the field when his day turned nasty. Woodchucker told the rest of that story.

Highlights for me?

Chainsawwhisperer's cooking and camp knowledge in general.

Woodchuckers pics & patience

Westspartan's awesome 441

How well the group blended to a crew and tackled those tree's; Everyone from JS and his Dolmar 5100s to Spike & his hotrod 350.

Spike's old Solo
The horsepower award has to be split three ways..Spike with that Solo, Bloodontheice & that monster Husqvarna, J.Walker with those hotrod Huskys! I do believe J.Walker had the most actual cut distance in the wood on the day, you know the SPEED thing.

I think the slickest saw award has to be split three ways..Spikes 576, Westspartans 441, and Woodchuckers 7900.

Best back yard engineering? moto's mill...it worked quite well.

Best old saws..another threeway...that Remington (chainsawwhisperer's?), MY Homie 925, Spikes Solo.

And it was good Seeing willsaw back to normal after his ordeal sunday & again today.

Last edited:
Awesome Walt. I'm glad (being the shin-dig was on your property) that you had a good time and have such positive thoughts about our weekend.

If you're down with it we oughta have another GTG in October. I'd actually get to camp out at that time as I'll be through working weekends by then. Not to mention that the bees should be gone so willsaw will be safe, lol. Just a thought though, just a thought. :)

Great pictures of what looks like a good time!
I just met Spike yesterday. Good guy, and gave me a great deal on a new 576 auto-tune...

I'm still drooling over the pics of that mint 262!

Great write up Walt. We all had a lot of fun.

I put up the thread "Spike's GTG #2", and really hope that most of you guys can come down here. Saturday Oct 3. Blood, can you get the day off???

I'm going to have to wind down the RPM's on that ProMac 850, because 12,600 is a might to high for that old girl. I may have a line on one of those big Solos if you really like it, but I don't think I'll be letting go of mine. It's the only saw I have that breaks the 100CC barrier.

Glad WillSaw is doing good. His reaction to that sting was instantaneous, and a little scary. I got stung when we hit that bees nest, but all I got was PO'd at the bees.

I enjoyed seeing a few different saws there in action. I like the different sounds made by the older saws. Your 925 was great, and Chainsawwhisperer's 88CC Remington was just awesome. Plus that 925 actually did a fair amount of real work when we attacked that big ash. It's more than just a cookie cutter!

Back