I give up!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concerning tank vents: Just recently I had a lesson in a clogged tank vent, and I considered it unusual. In the past clogged vents on 4 strokes have created a vaccum in the tank, and starved the engines for fuel. I consider that the norm.

This was all different. This was on a 4 stroke garden tiller I picked up cheaply used.

I did the normal things once it was home, not bothering to test anything when it wasn't mine yet.

It had great spark, and ok comp cold and not used in better than 2 years. The tank was 1/2 full of mung, leaves and grren gook. I changed all that out and the oil.

I made it run, but it ran poorly even after cleaning the carb. I failed to notice the tank vent ran thru the carb, and that an air cleaner screw also goes in the hole for the tank breather.

What I got was a ill acting engine, and in a few moments if flooded while running. I could see fuel come into the carb body and pool. The nain jet bubbled and continued to bubble for 15 minutes after the engine ran only 2.

The tank is near the engine heat with about 3/4 inch air space.. I didn't get the engine anywhere near full warm in 2 minutes either.

With the cap off, the pooled fuel would run back down into the carb float bowl, not that this carb has any float or a real bowl.

The cause was psi building in the tank, and then fuel being pushed into the carb body at the venturii.

SO if a chain saw is issuing too much fuel I could see my way into a clogged tank vent being a cause.

This doesn't explain the issue with this particular saw...

My personal guess with this saw is that there is a air leak (vac leak) at the intake to carb body. I am guessing there is a gasket of some sort there and it has failed or air is somehow leaking between it and the carb, or between it and the intake manifold.

Dont feel bad....

Last week,, was my week in the barrel....23 HP Crapsman graden tractor broken both rods while I was mowing,,,pulled it back to the garage with my atv and found a dead cat on my porch,burried it,,and went to relax with my JRed and do some milling,,and it started leaking fuel everywheres...That was a crappy day for sure...The Crapsman,,I'll rebuild that in the spring,, the cat,,I did all I could for it,,,but my JRed,,gotta get it back in action asap!!!
Hope your saws will be a simple fix...Let us know!!!

Since @ 90% of saw running problems are fuel related, I always suggest going
through the fuel system first.

Doing a leakdown test first is silly.

went out to the shop this morning with a new base gasket for my 260, and some time to look at my 066 too...

so I fight the 260 for a couple hours, and gte NOWHERE... still idels crappy, dies if you tilt is back or flip it over... I am stumped....

so on to the 066, yesterday I was quatering some 40 inch oak rounds, and while driving a wedge, the saw was ideling on the ground, made no strange noise or anything, just died imediatly out of nowhere. after a bunch of pulls I gave up and grabbed another saw..

so I try to start it like normal, no pop on choke, no thing..... so I pull the plug, check spark, looks good. so I pull it over with no plug thinking it is flooded, put it all back together, and nothing, so I take the plug out of my 064 and try it, first pull get a little pop, then nothing.. drained the gas, pulled it with no plug about 50,000 times and put it back together, little spray of gas down the carb, and vroom then dies, so i put some gas in the tank, give it a spray, and she comes to life, running MUCH leaner than normal dies at WOT, and ZERO chance of idle, I had to feather the throttle to keep it running, It eventually dies and
I cant get it going again so I throw in the towel...

Sorry for the rant, you guys ever have days like this?:censored:

i feel like giving up myself on everything notice someone had a homelite 240 thread and gets me when people b ring up randy name and they must forget i am on this site and pay monthly to be here and kyle is on here as well i have bills to pay food to buy and i depend on internet business to keep them bills covered right now i have 0.00 cause people must have forgot ab out me having homelite parts

etc

people in general know how to make someone hurt inside

Last week,, was my week in the barrel....23 HP Crapsman graden tractor broken both rods while I was mowing,,,pulled it back to the garage with my atv and found a dead cat on my porch,burried it,,and went to relax with my JRed and do some milling,,and it started leaking fuel everywheres...That was a crappy day for sure...The Crapsman,,I'll rebuild that in the spring,, the cat,,I did all I could for it,,,but my JRed,,gotta get it back in action asap!!!
Hope your saws will be a simple fix...Let us know!!!

It must have been those weeks everywhere. I had a 630 that I have been fighting, broke down and took it into the shop. It had a bad seal on the clutch side, replaced that and it wouldn't start. Had to replace the coil to get it up and running.

dragrcr: for $40 you can replace both seals, rebuild the carb, replace gaskets, etc. If you don't want to pressure test, you can replace all the parts, one at a time until you figure it out. Don't know how much Stihl seals cost, but shouldn't be more than $10/each and carb kits cost about $10 and a roll of gasket material will go a long way. At least you know you have fresh seals and gaskets.

i feel like giving up myself on everything notice someone had a homelite 240 thread and gets me when people b ring up randy name and they must forget i am on this site and pay monthly to be here and kyle is on here as well i have bills to pay food to buy and i depend on internet business to keep them bills covered right now i have 0.00 cause people must have forgot ab out me having homelite parts

Calvin, Randy has bills to pay too. Rather than railing against Randy for running a successful business, how about bragging about your customer service or extensive parts supply.

how about bragging about your customer service or extensive parts supply.

i have and it goes in one ear and out the next ever see a 41 year old shed tears well i am thats how this is hurting inside

gmac bill $ 604.00 past due 60 days 235.00 verizon wireless past due arboristsite past due why cause no business thru my site just enough to keep food on table

Last edited:
i have and it goes in one ear and out the next ever see a 41 year old shed tears well i am thats how this is hurting inside

It goes in one ear and out the next because it is in the middle of whining like that. Calvin, like i have mentioned before you sound seriously depressed and should see someone to help you through the tough times. The only person that can help you is you, crying about people not buying stuff will not solve anything.

Be proactive, put parts on Ebay or put ads on Clist. Believe it or not, there are people not on AS that need parts too.

gmac bill $ 604.00 past due 60 days 235.00 verizon wireless past due arboristsite past due why cause no business thru my site just enough to keep food on table

How about going without a cell phone for a while? How about canceling the AS sponsorship until things pick up again?

Calvin, I sent you a couple PM's last year or the year before about some parts. Never heard back from you so I gave up and bought parts from somewhere else. Your service should be 100x better in this economy if you want to compete.

Sorry about derailing your thread dragrcr.

Last edited:
How about going without a cell phone for a while? How about canceling the AS sponsorship until things pick up again?

Calvin, I sent you a couple PM's last year or the year before about some parts. Never heard back from you so I gave up and bought parts from somewhere else. Your service should be 100x better in this economy if you want to compete.

Sorry about derailing your thread dragrcr.

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/forester-products-.html

tell me if you can find anyone cheaper

Since @ 90% of saw running problems are fuel related, I always suggest going
through the fuel system first.

Doing a leakdown test first is silly.

You are correct, and perhaps it's how I stated it thats confusing. I use my pressure/vac setup to check the fuel side as I'm tearing things down (Fuel pick up/lines and carb). If that nets me nadda, well the carb is off already and it's just a matter of slipping the blockage into the exhaust and sealing the intake.

The gummy fuel line scenario is very common on these saws, and that, and
need of a proper carb rebuild will likely cure this guys saw.
The slight leak from the hard impulse will keep it from running at it's best.

Bad Day: Well I ride a motorcycle about till I can't, in New Hampster.. So today I went to see about my car which sat all Spring to now..

No compression, I found that odd. Popped the dist cap, and had my wife turn the key, and the dist rotor didn't turn either. The other day I popped the hood, and chased out a few mice.. Well it appears the damned mice ate a hunk off my timing belt! :mad:

Cavin, you are probably a heck of a guy but imes are tough everywhere and the ones that keep striving to do better will survive and the ones who complain wont. Keep your head up and push on or you won't make it

What about Randy?????

Or Calvin in his Speedos????

a>

it will idle, wouldnt say it was a nice idle, not really running right, I am just leaning it out till the rpm comes down to a reasonable range, than if you flip the saw over it will stall out.

My little 290 was giving me fits..Would idle fine then tip it side to side or upside down it would stall..Took it to the dealer and he laughed at me poured out the old gas and put in some fresh. Fixed it right up... Before this I thought gas was gas now I know better... :blush:

etc

people in general know how to make someone hurt inside

Calvin, your future and happiness is in no one's hands but your own. Moving beyond your problems is a personal decision that only you can make. What's it going to take to get you to take charge of your situation and quit playing the victim? Think back to your attitude in this forum.

Counseling is readily available at no charge for those with low incomes. You have two immediate choices:

1. bathe yourself in self pity and continue in a downward spiral or
  2. make the conscious decision to change your situation, make a plan, and carry that plan out.

The ball is in your court fella.

This place can put you in touch with help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back