Homelite 5-30-N & XL-901

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, here are the newest additions to my collection. A Homelite 5-30-N and a XL-901. Got a smokin good deal...free...should I clean em up and repaint them, or leave as original? Anyone know what the "S" indicates next to the 5-30-N model number?

Last edited:
The 5-30N is an interesting saw. It's part of the 7-29/8-29 family but is a mostly overall earlier design. It has the rotary valve intake as well. Finding a belt these days shouldn't be a problem. There was a thread on the Homelite belts recently and there may be a generic replacement.

The 5-30N is an interesting saw. It's part of the 7-29/8-29 family but is a mostly overall earlier design. It has the rotary valve intake as well. Finding a belt these days shouldn't be a problem. There was a thread on the Homelite belts recently and there may be a generic replacement.

Really, I have two 5-30's in need of belts. I tried to find new ones a couple of years ago when i got the saws, with no success. If you could point me in the right direction would be great.

I haven't had a chance to "touch" the saws yet. My dad picked em up for me in ID. He says they have very good compression. He isn't going to try and start them. I have about 4 weeks left til I get home...then its game on. :clap: I am sure the 5-30 will need a belt, it has been sitting for 20 some years, or so I was told...right along side with the 901. I am keepin both, they are going in my personal collection.:cheers:

Thanks Jacob! I will get one coming from mcmaster carr and see how it fits. Now I just need some tilly hp diaphrams.

Jacob if i ever get my hands on a oem belt for these saws would you think it be wise for me to get a belt manufacture to duplicate the belt ?

How do the Homelite belts compare with the belts used by the Gilmer belt reduction drives used on the early Clinton saws? I know that these were manufactured in 2 widths, I think a 3/4" & a 1". The Gilmer belts were constructed with a steel cord for strength, kind of like a car tire.

Jacob if i ever get my hands on a oem belt for these saws would you think it be wise for me to get a belt manufacture to duplicate the belt ?

Nope, the Trapezoidal Tooth Neoprene Timing Belt 1/2" Pitch, 210H is a standard industrial timing belt. Available from most any industrial supply house dealing in bearings, belts, shaft couplings, seals etc. Made by Gates, Dayco and others.

You can get your crankshaft bearings, drum sprocket bearing and shaft seals at those places also. Don't be spoutin' any Stihl, Husky, or Poulan part numbers to 'em. They'll want to know the size.

St. Joseph, pop. 70,000, has four such supply establishments.

Latest posts

Back