Millled some small maple and a spruce today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
And I didn't even sweat as it was blooming cold. The wind coming off the ocean was very cold. -9°C with wind chill. I wore my hearing protection all day just to keep my ears warm.

I did all the small maple as I rarely get my hands on it here even though it was time consuming to do.

I did this spruce that had fallen over.

Started the first cut with my aluminum ladder

A closer look at the ladder which is attached just using a board and fender washers to hold the board to the ladder. Note this will even fasten on an angle like this..

Waste not want not! I took the first cut and notched it into a couple of stumps so I can have a seat up in the area I have been brushing.

Hey..Not for dogs!

Maple leaning up against the truck and some spruce on the wheel barrow.

attachment.php

I tried out the Baileys ripping chain today for the the first time and it worked fine.

My 660 does not seem to be able to oil the bar enough. Before this the last 3 times I used the 660 was do remove some big stumps and the chain was dry as a bone. I have the adjusted turned up full and it uses about 1/3 tank of oil to 1/2 tank of fuel but when you lift the chain the drivers seem too dry to me. This is with a Stilhl 28 inch bar on it.

Mike the boards look good! I have not usually tried any of the smaller diameter stuff. but the pieces you cut look nice. It is still warm 60 degrees F here, but it is supposed to get cold by Friday. Mike I have looked at your Avitar before and always wanted to know where you lived? Good stuff!

Hi Mike. Nice pictures. Maybe try running a wintertime bar oil or just thin down what you are currently using. Maybe this will help. Good luck.

Well my 395XP uses about the same amount of oil as you say your 066 does, but even on my 36 inch bar, the chain gets oiled. No it's not dripping with oil but it's not dry as a bone, and on the inside of that metal guard on the end of the Granberg it's always caked with oil/sawdust from the chain flinging excess oil off the end of the bar while milling.

hautions11 said:
Mike the boards look good! I have not usually tried any of the smaller diameter stuff. but the pieces you cut look nice. It is still warm 60 degrees F here, but it is supposed to get cold by Friday. Mike I have looked at your Avitar before and always wanted to know where you lived? Good stuff!

This is the wood lot which is in Holyrood Newfoundland, Canada
and I am live 40km away in the town of Paradise which is a suburb of St. John's Newfoundland.

attachment.php

The smaller stuff is a PITA but I seldom have access to maple so I am doing it all.

MikeInParadise said:
and I am live 40km away in the town of Paradise which is a suburb of St. John's Newfoundland.
The smaller stuff is a PITA but I seldom have access to maple so I am doing it all.
So Mike... you live in Paradise now, but are moving to that woodlot you show in the pic with the pretty girl, in the future? Oh and btw, you have to tell us WHO that woman is :clap:

I here ya about milling small stuff when it's rare. I was just offered some redcedar, kinda small, and might even have metal in it as it was possibly part of a fence row at one time in past. BUT, don't get much redcedar, so I'm going to mill it down to 6 inches. I might do some of the real small stuff on the bandsaw freehand.

woodshop said:
So Mike... you live in Paradise now, but are moving to that woodlot you show in the pic with the pretty girl, in the future? Oh and btw, you have to tell us WHO that woman is :clap:

I here ya about milling small stuff when it's rare. I was just offered some redcedar, kinda small, and might even have metal in it as it was possibly part of a fence row at one time in past. BUT, don't get much redcedar, so I'm going to mill it down to 6 inches. I might do some of the real small stuff on the bandsaw freehand.

That is the Boss, She Who Must Be Obeyed! My better half! Feeder of the critters!

I thought about doing it on the bandsaw and I would have gotten better yield out of it but decided to use the mill instead.

MikeInParadise said:

attachment.php

Hey Mike- I knew these pictures look familiar... Woodcentral! Ha- small world! Glad to see you're getting good use of it.

Mike,
That first pic reminds me of when I was milling with a friend. The guy's wife came out and saw the 2X8 starter plank and asked "did you guys mill that?":hmm3grin2orange:

Back