Mag Rot Stihl 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My ms 660 that has mag rot over it reared its ugly head again causing it to leak a very small amount of bar oil over time

I pressure tested the oil tank, found the rot crack, filled the area with carb cleaner and pressurised the chamber. That pushed carb cleaner through into the oil tank and out. Did it twice, slow process as the crack was small.

Then let it dry for 10 mins and put some loctite 290 in, pressurised the chamber / area where the crack was until I could see it coming out of the oil tank side of the crack. I’ll leave it 24 hours and report back.

Using 290 for things like this was something @pioneerguy600 told me about. Jerry, thanks mate! Hopefully it may help someone else out.

Crack just behind the case gasket on the raised area with loctite pushed through.

IMG_4605.jpeg

This is a very good use for a 660 clone.
Buy a cheap clone or just the cases and add all your OEM parts to those cases and it'll be good for another 20 years.
Probably, but these tutorials and experiments are also great resources for saws that have no available clones.

This is a very good use for a 660 clone.
Buy a cheap clone or just the cases and add all your OEM parts to those cases and it'll be good for another 20 years.
The issue is, if I replace everything with a defect I’ll spend more than the saw is worth. I’m happy with repairing these small issues.

My 81 F150 is leaking gas out of the gas tank. When it gets to a pint a week or so I'll replace it.

Sort of the way I am with saws. If the oil will stay in it long enough to do whatever I'm doing it's OK with me.
That's about a disastrous way to do things with a known fuel leak.

Pics if it burns?

My 81 F150 is leaking gas out of the gas tank. When it gets to a pint a week or so I'll replace it.

Sort of the way I am with saws. If the oil will stay in it long enough to do whatever I'm doing it's OK with me.
If you can get to the leak, seal all works really good for fixing pin holes in gas tanks.

If you can get to the leak, seal all works really good for fixing pin holes in gas tanks.

Thanks, I may climb under there and see if I can find it.

A little complicated because everything on it leaks. Valve cover gasket, power steering sector, .. Little hard to tell what's what.

The chances of it catching on fire from it are pretty much zero. But, if it does I'll miss it.

My ms 660 that has mag rot over it reared its ugly head again causing it to leak a very small amount of bar oil over time

I pressure tested the oil tank, found the rot crack, filled the area with carb cleaner and pressurised the chamber. That pushed carb cleaner through into the oil tank and out. Did it twice, slow process as the crack was small.

Then let it dry for 10 mins and put some loctite 290 in, pressurised the chamber / area where the crack was until I could see it coming out of the oil tank side of the crack. I’ll leave it 24 hours and report back.

Using 290 for things like this was something @pioneerguy600 told me about. Jerry, thanks mate! Hopefully it may help someone else out.

Crack just behind the case gasket on the raised area with loctite pushed through.

View attachment 1145008

I've used Red Coat to seal older mag saw fuel tanks, it works well on metal leaks.

Thanks, I may climb under there and see if I can find it.

A little complicated because everything on it leaks. Valve cover gasket, power steering sector, .. Little hard to tell what's what.

The chances of it catching on fire from it are pretty much zero. But, if it does I'll miss it.
Sea Foam

🤣

Latest posts

Back