372 or 576 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm certain this has been kicked to death...but with today's prices & availability which is the best bang per buck for the LONG haul? (Or just ebay a 365 & build it to a 372)

Considering a step up from my 365 w/ 18inch BC for some bigger work...too important for my Hobby Homies..needs to do what my S-XL925 w/ 28inch BC has been doing size wise.
It will be left stock..a production saw not for fun.

Last edited:
576 feels nice.

i haven't ran one.

372 is at least $100 less and is been well tested.

biggest plus is it will piss Algore off a lot more if you get the 372.that makes it all worth while.

I ran both last week I'm going with a 372 as it is lighter and feels lighter. I figure the 576 will be around a while since it is a new generation EPA saw. I was impressed with the 576's power strong runner and very smooooth. Couldn't go wrong with either, like I said the 372 is lighter and more compact. 576 is supposed to be a gas sipper if that matters to you.

Get a Jred 2188 from Spike60 if you want it to cut like a XL925. I have the Jred version of the 372XP (2171) and love the dang thing but it relies more on chain speed than torque. If you are used to the big old Homie torque monsters you will have revise your cutting techniques. The 385/390 (Jred 2185/2188) have more torque and slightly lower chain speed.

As has been previously posted you could always upgrade your 365 to a 372XPW top end for less money than a new saw.

Get a Jred 2188 from Spike60 if you want it to cut like a XL925. I have the Jred version of the 372XP (2171) and love the dang thing but it relies more on chain speed than torque. If you are used to the big old Homie torque monsters you will have revise your cutting techniques. The 385/390 (Jred 2185/2188) have more torque and slightly lower chain speed.

As has been previously posted you could always upgrade your 365 to a 372XPW top end for less money than a new saw.

I apologise in advance as I know this has been beatened to death as a subject matter:deadhorse:

I saw the "best 70cc" saw thread...but this really is better labeled best 6plus hp class saw! AND I saw the Husky for 24inch bar thread....in parrallel with this one....points to 576 as an option.

The reason I started this is I got into the larger Beech trees last weekend...I have more than a few that need to come down and they use all of the power my 925 has. Its a hobby saw for me anyway showing signs of wear and I think I will kill it if I go at this project with it as the main big saw.

I see you have a 921..thats close a S-XL925 (77 vs 82cc) but you obviously understand my delima! AND you have a 53cc-72cc-88cc mix of J-red's so it looks to me as if you certainly have a better sense of this issue than most. Are you going to be at any of these GTG's?

Part of the descision problem is I do have that Husky 365 W/ 18inch B/C & Husky 455 for limbing that really works well in a large part of what I need right now! I just want a 25 to 28inch B/C in a Beech & Hard Maple capable saw to handle the bigger trees.

If that 2188 is the right direction..should I also compare the Stihl 460 and Dolmars in the 80cc 6HP class as well? On paper that 460 looks pretty good.

(Stihl 460 76.5cc 6HP 14.6lbs)

My local dealer is pushing for me to try a 441...with 25inch B/C. How much of a jump would that really be?

(Stihl 441 70.7cc 5.5HP 14.6lbs) vs. (Husky 372 70.7cc 5.4HP 13.7lbs)

I have a little time to kick this around..until my project gets funded from NRCS...so I hope at the next GTG I can decide & invest in a bigger saw.

Wild cards.

(Husky 390XP 87.9cc 6.5HP 15.7lbs $1000plus bucks)
(Husky 385XP 84.7cc 6.3HP 15.4lbs $1000 bucks)
Stihl 650.....

Last edited:
Part of the descision problem is I do have that Husky 365 W/ 18inch B/C & Husky 455 for limbing that really works well in a large part of what I need right now! I just want a 25 to 28inch B/C in a Beech & Hard Maple capable saw to handle the bigger trees.

i just upgraded from a 455 to a 372. now that i have the 372, i won't touch the 455 again. the weight difference is hardly noticeable, the upgrade in all other aspects (especially power) is unarguable.

Yep, I'm definitely a Husky fan myself, I have a pair of 372's and several Stihl 440's and I always go for one of the 372's first.:chainsawguy:

One thing I have learned...Husqvarna has by far the coolest looking website!

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/

To H$ll with the website......... give me a good calendar

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlhI9ssXmRY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlhI9ssXmRY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Partial to the 576XP myself

Tested one for a weekend a few weeks ago. Best description, it's a lighter, higher reving, update of the 281XP. (Those were great saws) Superb anti-vibe as well.

My opinion, the 372XP isn't bad, had one but I never thought it lived up to its billing. Plus you've got a 365 so the 372XP, though a move up, isn't a big jump.

Obviously, and I'll admit my prejudice, the Dolmar PS7900 is the cream of that weight class. It does live up to all the accolades heaped upon it. Availability of dealers seems to be it's biggest downfall.

Anyway, my advice, if you want to step up, is to get to the 80+ cc class saw, regardless of the manufacturer. But then again it's your tool and you're the one that it has to use and be pleased with it.

Take Care

Weimedog, for the kind of cutting you are talking about I would definitely look at the 80 cc saws like the Jred 2186/Husky 385XP or even better the Jred 2188/Husky 390XP. I think you will be more pleased with the torque given your history with Homelites. Let me know when the next GTG is at your place and I will try and get there so you can try out the 2171 and 2186. We can even run the same bar and chain so you can compare the two saws. If you get down to the Hudson Valley any time give me a yell and you are more than welcome to stop by. Do yourself a favor and check with Spike60 before buying anything though. He had the best prices around when I was shopping for saws and is a great guy to boot.

372 XP Rocks!

I have had my 372 XP now for almost a year. This past weekend, well just yesterday in fact we did a wood cutting fund raise for my son's wrestling club. About 6 dad's showed up with saws, me with my 372xp 20" and a pro chain, a guy with a similar class Stihl with what must have been a dull chain, a Husky Rancher 55 or something like that and a couple of others. We all dove into a pile of 20 foot lengths cutting to 16 inches. No kidding, I was cutting on the big end of the same log (18" or so) as the Stihl, and he made 2 cuts while I made it all the way down to him with numerous cuts. There were a lot of jaws dropping watching my 372 rip and I got a few "That's a Helluva Saw" comments through the day. This thing can even be compared to the average homeowner saw...it is in a different class.

I love this saw...

LM

To H$ll with the website......... give me a good calendar

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlhI9ssXmRY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlhI9ssXmRY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Where's the safety gear?

Back