3/8 low profile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there is more difference than the top plate angle between regular low profile and ripping low profile?
thanks a lot in advance

with 3/8 lo pro--what in h are you using that on??/--35 degree--on stock---and 10 degree--is normal on rip

up to this point, nothing
just asking a question
to be more specific are the drive links the same as regular 3/8 or the same as low profile 3/8?
are the cutters semi or chisel?
does pee wee hermin squat too pee
no wait thats anuther forum

up to this point, nothing
just asking a question
to be more specific are the drive links the same as regular 3/8 or the same as low profile 3/8?
are the cutters semi or chisel?
does pee wee hermin squat too pee
no wait thats anuther forum

The lo-profile chain is over a bit thinner and creates a smaller kerf. so they are not the same.
Cutters come in chisel or semi
It stretches a lot more than 3/8 regular chain

what about the drive link? regular or picco....

It's not pico, the cutter is just a slightly shrunken version of the full 3/8 cutter.

I notice the Oregon chain catalog says for its 91VS low profile 3/8 chain;
"Chains on this page are intended for use with saws up to 2.5 cu. in.
displacement (41 cc), and bars up to 16 in. length (41 cm)."
I use it on a 50 cc saw with a 20" bar

It's not pico, the cutter is just a slightly shrunken version of the full 3/8 cutter.

I notice the Oregon chain catalog says for its 91VS low profile 3/8 chain;
"Chains on this page are intended for use with saws up to 2.5 cu. in.
displacement (41 cc), and bars up to 16 in. length (41 cm)."
I use it on a 50 cc saw with a 20" bar
that seems to indicate its low profile drive links but will it work O.K. with standard 3/8 rim and bar sprocket are do both need to be picco(I know this is a Stihl term).? I'm thinking the standard rim will work but I know the bar won't, the chain runs up out of the sprocket.

that seems to indicate its low profile drive links but will it work O.K. with standard 3/8 rim and bar sprocket are do both need to be picco(I know this is a Stihl term).? I'm thinking the standard rim will work but I know the bar won't, the chain runs up out of the sprocket.

The sprocket for the Picco chain has a different part ID number on it JW. That seems to say it a little different. I use the picco on a Logosol M7 with a 385 husky and when I go to the reg 3/8, I change the sprocket as well as using a different bar.

Rodney

I have milled over 8000bf using a Stihl 066 with 16" and some with a 25" bar using Stihl picco chain. It come with a 30º top plate angle and I start with that and each time I sharpen I cut the angle back a bit until after about 4 sharpenings I have it at 10º. I sometimes have to retighten a new chain after a bit of sawing due to stretching but I think it is minimal.
Here are the details:
The pitch is .365--3/8 is .375---so you need a special sprocket, available from Logosol here in the USA
The guage is .050----3/8 can be .050 or .063
It is not rated for the big saws as BobL states but it is what Logosol supplies with their equipment and it works great--1/4" kerf leaving more power to the cut. I have had about 4 chains break since November of 2001.

The sprocket for the Picco chain has a different part ID number on it JW. That seems to say it a little different. I use the picco on a Logosol M7 with a 385 husky and when I go to the reg 3/8, I change the sprocket as well as using a different bar.

Rodney
thanks rodney, so far i've not had any luck finding a small spline (i belive it is 3/4)picco rim.

jw--as he said--hes broken four chains--they are weaker all the way around compared to normal 3/8's chain--and it def takes a diff sprocket--and the drivers are wayyy shorter into the sprocket--i dislike the stuff--but 325 is ok--dont know how much diff in the width of the cut--

jw--as he said--hes broken four chains--they are weaker all the way around compared to normal 3/8's chain--and it def takes a diff sprocket--and the drivers are wayyy shorter into the sprocket--i dislike the stuff--but 325 is ok--dont know how much diff in the width of the cut--
I,m not milling just cutting firewood.I have .325 on this small saw now and the 3/8 lp is a little narrower kerf, just wish chisel was available, and it may be in ripping chain but I have never seen it. As far as top plate angle a file or grinder will handle that.
thanks for all the replies.

I have milled over 8000bf using a Stihl 066 with 16" and some with a 25" bar using Stihl picco chain. It come with a 30º top plate angle and I start with that and each time I sharpen I cut the angle back a bit until after about 4 sharpenings I have it at 10º. I sometimes have to retighten a new chain after a bit of sawing due to stretching but I think it is minimal.
Here are the details:
The pitch is .365--3/8 is .375---so you need a special sprocket, available from Logosol here in the USA
The guage is .050----3/8 can be .050 or .063
It is not rated for the big saws as BobL states but it is what Logosol supplies with their equipment and it works great--1/4" kerf leaving more power to the cut. I have had about 4 chains break since November of 2001.

Many over in the Chainsaw forum, notably SawTroll, have stated that ALL 3/8 chain is technically .367, though nobody really knows why. Maybe they just market the low-profile as .365 to make people think they need a different sprocket? On that note I'd love to see a brand-new special low-pro sprocket alongside an equivalent regular 3/8 sprocket sometime, if anyone has both.

I've also cut hundreds of board feet with low-pro on an 066 & 25" bar, though I've never been particular about what 3/8 sprocket I use, and I've had no troubles with it at all. I run semi-chisel though, so maybe people experiencing a lot of breakages etc. are running full-chisel, and it's too aggressive and puts more stress on the chain?

OK so here is the picture you're talking about:

attachment.php

And here's what my nose sprocket fit looks like on a regular everyday 3/8 .050 bar:

attachment.php

Looks like it fits up just fine to me. Maybe a brand-new sprocket with slightly longer teeth would be a bit tighter, I don't know. This one has a few dozen hours of runtime on it, so it's worn down a bit. IMO the chain on the right in the first picture looks more like a low-pro .050 chain on a normal .063 bar, because it appears that the sprocket teeth are too wide to fit between the straps of the chain. Notice that they certainly aren't bottoming out early or anything. Even assuming it's true that low-pro is .365 and regular 3/8 is indeed .375, that 1/100th inch could not create that severe of a fitment problem, though it could cause extra wear and tear.

Here's a shot of another loop of the same chain (Oregon Mini 370) on a regular, large-spline 3/8 8-tooth rim:

attachment.php

It sits nice and tight all the way around, and there isn't any play in the drive grooves either if I hold the chain tight and try to move the sprocket.

So I don't know what to say. I've used it quite a bit and it works really well. I'm not sure how true Stihl Picco compares to other low-pro chains like this Oregon though since I've never used it.

Last edited:
Trigger-time seemed to be talking about Stihl Picco chain.

The people like Bmorgan who use lo-pro with standard 3/8 bars and rims seem to be using Oregon or Carlton (Bailey's) lo-pro chain.

I haven't used either yet but I'm filing this information away because I'd like to try lo-pro someday when the budget allows.

My read is that Stihl Picco requires special rims and bars, but Oregon/Carlton low pro is OK with ordinary 3/8 x 0.050" bars and rims. Anyone know different ?

BTW, Bmorgan, thanks for the photos showing how Oregon lo-pro fits on your saws.:clap:

I have used Oregon and Carlton (Baley) low profile 3/8 .050ga with my regular 3/8 drive sprockets and have no problems, BUT when I use the Stihl Picco .050 ga chain with that same sprocket, in no time at all the backs of the drivers begin to flatten until the chain will hardly slide thru the .050ga. groove of the bar. I had to grind the little spurs off each side of the back of the driver to get it to run in the bar. It works wonderful with a Stihl Picco drive sprocket available from Logosol for $41.25--yes that is right , I did not stutter or typo. Logosol owners have sawn tens of thousands of bf of lumber using this setup and have competed interestingly against hefty bandsawmills in the sawmill shootouts using it. No, they never won, but they impressed people with how well the did using a chainsaw.
http://www.logosol.ca/in-english/sawmills/m7-sawmill/shootout/

I have used Oregon and Carlton (Baley) low profile 3/8 .050ga with my regular 3/8 drive sprockets and have no problems, BUT when I use the Stihl Picco .050 ga chain with that same sprocket, in no time at all the backs of the drivers begin to flatten until the chain will hardly slide thru the .050ga. groove of the bar.

(As Artie Johnson used to say) Veeeerrrry Interesting!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back