Can I use a .058 chain on a .050 bar that is worn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a bar that is worn and the chain moves a lot. I wanted to know if there was any way to use it with a wider chain. I have two saws, dolmar ps 341, 3/8 low profile and a makita ea5000 3/8. My question is if I can put a 3/8, .058 chain on a 3/8 low profile .050 bar, it is 14 inches. to use it in one of the two saws

I have a bar that is worn and the chain moves a lot. I wanted to know if there was any way to use it with a wider chain. I have two saws, dolmar ps 341, 3/8 low profile and a makita ea5000 3/8. My question is if I can put a 3/8, .058 chain on a 3/8 low profile .050 bar, it is 14 inches. to use it in one of the two saws

You can't run 3/8 chain, with lo pro/picco 3/8 bar or 3/8 lo pro/picco drive spockets.

The chassis is different between the two types even if the gauge is the same.

It's a mismatch that will mess up the chain drivers and the sprockets

the link length is different between LP and standard 3/8, they can not be interchanged
Don't be cheap on chainsaw parts, esp on the parts that have cutters moving at very high speeds. I've had chains break and eject from a saw embedding part of the chain 8 inches in the dirt...brought a new found fear/respect. When a chain jumps the bar rails at high speed there is a chance it will hit your leg like a whip.

the link length is different between LP and standard 3/8, they can not be interchanged
Don't be cheap on chainsaw parts, esp on the parts that have cutters moving at very high speeds. I've had chains break and eject from a saw embedding part of the chain 8 inches in the dirt...brought a new found fear/respect. When a chain jumps the bar rails at high speed there is a chance it will hit your leg like a whip.

Length is the same. The chain chassis are different.

This was beat to death on a thread in the milling forum. I don't think the pictures are still there

Getting serious about lo pro

Here is a comparison of the drive sprockets. Both 7 pin, Stihl on left, Danzco picco on the right.

medium spline 3:8 picco 2.jpg

The smaller chassis of the picco/lo pro requires a larger diameter rim even though pitch is the same.

Check the # of drive links between the two using same length bars, they are the same. E.g. for a 20" bar both need chains with 72 drivers.

If the pitch is the same (& I agree with the above remarks that 3/8 & 3/8 LoPro are different) the you can progress to the next gauge up chain IF you have consistent wear along the bar (not V'd out rails) & the bar groove is worn enough to allow the oversize chain to move freely around the bar.

That should be a K095 bar and I am sure I have new ones. Just buy a new bar. Hell 3 chains too

You may just need to close the rails up. There are fairly inexpensive tools available to do this, or it can be done with a hammer & an appropriate shim. Be sure to dress the bar first or any burs will crack off when you hammer them.
Post a few pic's of your bar showing the condition of the rails & we may be able to make additional suggestions

You may just need to close the rails up. There are fairly inexpensive tools available to do this, or it can be done with a hammer & an appropriate shim. Be sure to dress the bar first or any burs will crack off when you hammer them.
Post a few pic's of your bar showing the condition of the rails & we may be able to make additional suggestions

There is the bar. One rail is thinner than the other. both side of the bar have the same problem I think is because of my bad sharpening technique.

20240126_125333.jpg
left side worn out bar
20240126_125321.jpg20240126_125013.jpg20240126_124812.jpg20240126_124925.jpg

Latest posts

Back