020av re-do flippin thing is drowning in gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
it ran great the other day. :confused:

last night i pulled it over forever, nothing happened. then pulled and primed till it flooded and let it sit.
through today i pulled it over occasionally but no matter how long it sat with the plug out it would blow fuel out the exhaust.

i wound up pulling the jug to clean the carbon. it was off for several hours, the case had dried up.
while it was apart i opened the carb again and sprayed every orifice and reassembled.
pull it over a few times with no choke and it is swimming in gas!!!

if it keeps up the saw will be swimming in a lake. :bang:

next time i'm going to close the H L screws and pull it over.

what is the best replacement carb for these beasts?

I had an 031 do that to me. Carb was rebuilt and it flooded no matter what. I swapped a carb off another and it was fine. Its still sitting on the bench,Ill bet the new needle wont seat right. Im not sure what carb to use.:cheers:

i went to searching AS for answers and found where lakeside talked about the checkvalve in 026 carbs causing idle probs and pooling.

there happens to be a 'valve jet' listed in the 020 ipl.

hhhmmmmm.

I'd whip the lids off the carb and remove the rubber/vitron tipped fuel valve needle, it's under the lever,spring, rod, screw. The fuel strainer sits above, kits have all the guff to replace, also remove the hi lo jets and blow thru the circuits inside, includes the main one way fuel nozzle which are a waste of time trying to remove without wrecking the whole carb

today i tried again on this saw.

i modified a walbro 16b to replace the 15 that was on it.
it involved changing out the throttle shaft for the linkage to work, drilling a small hole in the rear face of the carb for a fuel inlet and capping the old fuel inlet on the side of the 16b.

the results are the same.
flooded without ever touching the choke.

is this saw still flooded from a week or so ago? i left it with the plug out for at least a week before this afternoon.
i have since flipped the saw in every position and pulled it over with the H and L all the way in, sans sparkplug and it still appears a little wet in the cyl.

i have a blue spark, not huge but clearly sparking, 150# compression, and all the fuel i will ever need. why won't it fire off?

wtf? :bang:

Same problem with my 460.
Cleaned the carb real good and let it dry right now before I give it another try.
Is your 16B putting out to much fuel as well?
Got another one to try?

There has been so many discussions on here about the carbs for these saws, the general consenses is to just toss the old carb and buy a new one, Andy" Lakeside" stated this many times. I on the other hand have fixed many of them and had good luck with them, they can be finniky and do as you say, flood like heck. If you are real good with carbs you may be able to beat these things but if not then most likely it is better to find another. The last one I worked on took me 6 tries to get it right and wasted 6-7 hours on it, I got it right but the cost would have been less with a new carb, there was none available at that time.
Pioneerguy600

There has been so many discussions on here about the carbs for these saws, the general consenses is to just toss the old carb and buy a new one, Andy" Lakeside" stated this many times. I on the other hand have fixed many of them and had good luck with them, they can be finniky and do as you say, flood like heck. If you are real good with carbs you may be able to beat these things but if not then most likely it is better to find another. The last one I worked on took me 6 tries to get it right and wasted 6-7 hours on it, I got it right but the cost would have been less with a new carb, there was none available at that time.
Pioneerguy600

see post #5. :)

i tried a different carb. even though it wasn't new i figured the results would differ somehow.

there is something else going on here.
i have some new ideas, if it isn't too cold in the shop tomorrow night i' will try to implement them.

reference followup

followup.

for the sake of future searches involving 020av carbs..............

i adapted a stihl 028 carb, walbro 16b, to use on the 020av.

the mods are:
1. switching out the carb throttle shafts and butterflys so the linkage will work.

2. drilling a new fuel inlet hole in the rear face of the 16b to accept fuel from the 020av carb mount, using the old carb as a guide.

3. plugging the unused side mounted fuel inlet on the 16b. i knocked the plastic elbow off and threaded a screw with fuel safe sealant in to the pressed brass fitting.

after sorting out a non-carb related problem,
it now seems to run o.k.:)

Glad to hear it was not a carb related issue, refer to post #5. LOL
Pioneerguy600

well, it originally was a carb problem. :)
the second, modded, carb appeared to fail because of the mineral spirits i used to rinse the case. (see copied post below). it appeared to be flooding as i could see liquid bubble out between the rings while i looked through the exhaust port and turned it over slowly.

live and learn.

'the room full of saws' lot 020av has been giving me fits!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=118259
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=118585

taking a brake from fooling with the carb, i recently pulled the jug to clean carbon out. while the jug was off i spied some crud that fell in the case so i flipped it over and sprayed it out with carb cleaner. i followed up the carb cleaner with a bath in charcoal starter fluid and a little mix oil, then dumped.

after assembly the saw still wouldn't run so i adapted an 028 carb to replace the junk oem and after days of tinkering.......
still no joy.

time for some new ideas:
i figured the residue from the starter fluid (odorless mineral spirits) was stopping the saw from running..... even on ether (yeah i know). i proved it by super flooding the saw by pouring mix down the carb. swish, swish, shake, shake, pull, pull and
pop! she runs! my best guess is that the mineral spirits that was trapped behind the bearings was re-flooding the saw with a non spark ignition vapor each time i tried to start it.

now the saw starts, idles, accelerates perfectly.

lesson: if you rinse the case, use mix for the final rinse!

Latest posts

Back