NE 346XP - Affects of Cat Muffler & Muffler Mod - Porting & Popup To Come

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a brand new NE 346XP here to mod. I've never run a stock NE 346XP that didn't at least have a muffler mod. I've been told the MM makes a big difference. I wanted to see for myself.

After establishing its performance bone stock with the cat muffler, I replace the muffler with a non-cat muffler, and left it unmodded. I installed an unlimited coil at that time. I then proceeded to mod the muffler.

Bottom line...a muffler mod makes a HUGE difference on this saw. I can now see how some of you get the results you do comparing a stock 346 to a 5100 or even a 260. I don't know personally, but am told a MM doesn't do as much for a 5100. But, again, I don't know. But that's not where I want to go with this thread.

In the stock configuration, it was easy to stall the chain. You can see that just getting rid of the cat muffler made a significant difference. But the muffler mod majorly stepped it up. What you can't see is how much stronger it "feels" in the cut. It's no longer prone to bogging at all. It has tons more torque than stock! If you're still running a stock muffler, and/or a cat muffler, please do yourself a favor and get that bad boy opened up. All I did was add a Husky deflector with spark arrestor screen installed on both it and the factory port.

I'll be degreeing and tearing this saw down for porting tonight. Later this week it'll be coming back apart for a popup piston and cylinder decking. Squish is at .026"-.027" stock with a gasket. Compression is 148 PSI.

Here are the measurements with the gasket out.
-Squish .013"
- Exhaust 108°
- Transfers 123°
- Intake 76°

Sorry about the little wood. That's all I have here right now. You're not going to get any measureable times with this wood, but you can still clearly see and hear the difference. Take it for what it's worth.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1BXwaZbbRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1BXwaZbbRY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Yeah,

When I first came here 3 years ago there was much talk of how the 359 really reacted to a muffler mod. I never used it until I put a modded non cat on it. It is still an impressive 59cc saw 3 years later. (she still wears her green gas cap like a badge of courage)

Anyone want a brand new 357/359 cat muffler?

whered you get your deflector tried ordering one online but said they were part of the muffler but did order a non cat muffler so i can cut it off my epa one thanks and any pics would be great. also did notice the bogging with my 346 in wood. thought there was something wrong. my dads 346 has a non cat muffler it doesnt bog as much. thanks for the help.....
nick

Here's the plan.

- Turn a .035" popup on the piston crown, leaving .100" crown thickness.
- Mill cylinder base .030", for a final squish of .018".
- 100° Exhaust
- 120° Transfers
- 80° Intake
- Widen intake & exhaust ports to 70% of bore, as measered on the curve of the cylinder wall. Some go across the chord, which makes it a little wider yet.
- Widen and angle rear transfers towards the intake port.

Brad is it a must to have the ulimited coil, if doing the muff mod? My 346xpNE is the version with out the cat.

P.S. sorry for all the questions, but that video's got me thinking about modding the muff.

Last edited:
whered you get your deflector tried ordering one online but said they were part of the muffler but did order a non cat muffler so i can cut it off my epa one thanks and any pics would be great. also did notice the bogging with my 346 in wood. thought there was something wrong. my dads 346 has a non cat muffler it doesnt bog as much. thanks for the help.....
nick
is a part number available for the deflector

Bottom line...a muffler mod makes a HUGE difference on this saw. I can now see how some of you get the results you do comparing a stock 346 to a 5100 or even a 260.

Hmmmmmmmmm.......................If you would only listen ............Glad you finally figured it out.....

I guess now that Brad said it.... Its cut in stone ..........:D:D

Hmmmmmmmmm.......................If you would only listen ............Glad you finally figured it out.....

I guess now that Brad said it.... Its cut in stone ..........:D:D

I've always told you the 346s I've run were muffler modded. In most cases, I'm personally not really interested in how a saw runs without a muffler mod. IMHO, opening the muffler up, simply allows them to run the way they were design to before the EPA and OSHA got ahold of them. This just shows you how bad it really is.

Here's the non-cat muffler with the OEM Husqvarna deflector and spark arrestor screen. I'll get the PNs for you shortly. The deflector is not shaped like this originally. I fit it to the muffler with a tiny little ball peen hammer after starting the screws.

742793438_BQbth-M.jpg

Here's a shot of my personal 346. You'll notice that I moved it up a little higher on this new one. It's very close to hitting the case on my saw.

742793539_nQanS-M.jpg

Here's the degree wheel super glued to four flywheel fins. I size the wheel to the flywheel before printing. I use a piece of solder as a pointer. When I'm done, I tear the degree wheel off and throw it away.

742793533_2b7Tc-M.jpg

Back