Ms201tc ported idle issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortfuze82

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As title states I have a ported ms201tc brand new saw , ever since this saw was reassembled it hangs at idle for a decent amount of time before correctly idling down , exactly like these m tronic saws act when they have an air leak... but I can assure you this saw does not. I messed with the metering leaver height and it got 75 percent better but coming out of a big heavy cut with that bar buried it still hangs at I’d say around 3100 rpm for three seconds just enough to be noticeable and a pain in the butt. Acceleration and power under load are unmatched . The saw will easily output a 200t . It’s been fully ported timing advanced 5-6 degrees, and a muffler mod with in the reasonable specs nothing super wild. I’ve tried about everything I can think of as the silver level tech I am has allowed. Everything checks out. Took timing out of it thinking possibly the system could not keep up, tried new carb new coil new 5104 valve with the newest controller. Got just about fed up with it before lifting the metering leaver and finally found some redemption! Theirs nothing wrong in the porting I had the guy double check it , nothing has been done different then any of his other saws he builds. This is his first 201 but that should make no difference. I can get the port numbers if need be but I doubt that’s my issue. I was just curious if anyone else has a legit squish adjusted fully ported 201tcm to see if they ran into the same trouble and if so how they resolved it?? Like I mentioned earlier everything else is spot on this thing has plenty of power with a 16 to make mince meat out of removal work. But the darn thing fights itself to settle back down to idle. Now working on a bunch of the other m tronic saws I have taken notice a few other models in stock for that do virtually the same lean come down behavior like certain ms661c that also have zero air leaks. Seems odd on some accounts that this would happen on even a few stock saws as well??? Hopefully someone has insight on this issue. My next step is going to be throw a weaker metering spring at it and see how it reacts.possibly the needle is not keeping up with the fuel consumption from the power increase?

As title states I have a ported ms201tc brand new saw , ever since this saw was reassembled it hangs at idle for a decent amount of time before correctly idling down , exactly like these m tronic saws act when they have an air leak... but I can assure you this saw does not. I messed with the metering leaver height and it got 75 percent better but coming out of a big heavy cut with that bar buried it still hangs at I’d say around 3100 rpm for three seconds just enough to be noticeable and a pain in the butt. Acceleration and power under load are unmatched . The saw will easily output a 200t . It’s been fully ported timing advanced 5-6 degrees, and a muffler mod with in the reasonable specs nothing super wild. I’ve tried about everything I can think of as the silver level tech I am has allowed. Everything checks out. Took timing out of it thinking possibly the system could not keep up, tried new carb new coil new 5104 valve with the newest controller. Got just about fed up with it before lifting the metering leaver and finally found some redemption! Theirs nothing wrong in the porting I had the guy double check it , nothing has been done different then any of his other saws he builds. This is his first 201 but that should make no difference. I can get the port numbers if need be but I doubt that’s my issue. I was just curious if anyone else has a legit squish adjusted fully ported 201tcm to see if they ran into the same trouble and if so how they resolved it?? Like I mentioned earlier everything else is spot on this thing has plenty of power with a 16 to make mince meat out of removal work. But the darn thing fights itself to settle back down to idle. Now working on a bunch of the other m tronic saws I have taken notice a few other models in stock for that do virtually the same lean come down behavior like certain ms661c that also have zero air leaks. Seems odd on some accounts that this would happen on even a few stock saws as well??? Hopefully someone has insight on this issue. My next step is going to be throw a weaker metering spring at it and see how it reacts.possibly the needle is not keeping up with the fuel consumption from the power increase?
Just throwing this out there as you seem to have all bases covered... Could it be hanging back, due to the throttle linkages in the handle slowing down the return to idle ?

It seems to be a fueling issue but I’m at a loss on how to completely cure it with out having the metering leaver so high it will eventually start to affect idle quality as far as loading up.... with it being. Limb saw I can’t have it stalling in the tree. As mentioned I want to try a weaker metering spring yet but after that I’ve got no more ideas.....

It’s just odd that it performs flawless under full load 14” bar buried and does not miss a beat , you would think if it was lean that’s where it would show up but I as anyone else working on these m tronic saws full time can tell you their run characteristics are way different then we’re all used to in the industry

Latest posts

Back