My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRI955

I'm the man in the box
Reaction score
I recently picked up a saw from the Bay, you know, one of the "professionally rebuilt ones". When I received the saw I should have looked it over better, but I was in the middle of another project and thought it was OK. After leaving the guy good feedback and a week later, I finally look the saw over good. What a pile of :censored:!!! It had been a while since I had gotten burned on ebay and figured I was due, so I made me some lemon-aid from me steaming pile of.... well you get the idea.

The problems...
Crappy chi-com piston and cylinder, light scoring
Hacked up muffler
Seal between the cases was leaking bar oil, actually it was sucking it into the engine and making a mess externally too
Main bearings felt like they had been injected with sand, I think it had something to do with the saw burning bar oil, they were in-crusted with dark brown something
Did I mention that it looked like it was beat???

After reading the other 288/066 piston swap that I think Logging22 was doing, I decided to go that route also. Here's some pictures of some of the work as the saw was going back together....

Had to mill between the pin bosses so the 288 rod would fit the 660 piston...
DSCN2420.jpg

Piston installed after the milling of the pop-up....
DSCN2418.jpg

Used OEM cylinder installed, bought from a fellow member here, new crank bearings and seals installed, cases repainted Kubota orange...
DSCN2417.jpg

:cheers:
Mike

Last edited:
A short video...

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/TRI955/288xp/DSCN2435.flv">

Thanks Little Possum, the muffler made it in time for the GTG.

Mike

Mike-

Looks like you did real good work there. I like the looks of that handlebar, is that aftermarket? Pro-Safety made some like that years ago and the grips were really nice.

Mike-

Looks like you did real good work there. I like the looks of that handlebar, is that aftermarket? Pro-Safety made some like that years ago and the grips were really nice.

Thanks Jacob, that means alot. I like the bar but it has a funny bend on the bottom, the saw doesn't sit flat with it. Yes, the bar is aftermarket I think. It came from eBay too...

Mike

Last edited:
:jawdrop: enough said. Well maybe not. VERY nice saw. You didnt even mod the muffler just a little? First thing I did with mine was turn the deflector around. lol.

Glad that muffler made it. I was a little bit worried.

So Ill be asking some questions soon as mine is running :)

I did widen the exhaust port, still need to mess with the muffler. Thanks for all the compliments guys. I'm just trying to put all that I have learned here to good use, Thanks for all the help!!!

Mike

I did widen the exhaust port, still need to mess with the muffler. Thanks for all the compliments guys. I'm just trying to put all that I have learned here to good use, Thanks for all the help!!!

Mike

Looks like you're doing real well with that endeavor. I didn't think it was stock. It seems to be holding it's RPMs real well in the wood.

Since I was confused on what parts I needed when I started my build, I want to lay out what exactly I used as far as parts go. Naturally you need to have a 288 ;)...
I used a Meteor 066 piston, pin AND bearing.

Between the pin bosses we machined it out to 18mm so the Husky rod would fit (thanks Shane).
DSCN2420.jpg

The piston was then installed to check clearance in the cylinder. If I remember correctly we took about .040 off the height and went in towards the center 10mm for the pop-up. This left about .096 between the top of the piston and the top ring. Thanks to my nephew Brian for helping with turning the piston!:clap:
DSCN2421.jpg

I then used a piece of manila envelope (.010) for the base gasket. This gave me a squish of about .026 and compression is at 195psi right now.
DSCN2418.jpg

I will update this as I get to actually run the saw more and it gets broken in.

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back