My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diggin' your build, Mike, I'd rep you but (apparently) I can't. I can't even imagine how that thing is to start. After I almost flung mine into my neighbor's yard trying to start it, I decided to take it apart and put the gasket back in. And mine just has GOOD compression, not loony compression!

The 288 is one saw that really needs a decomp.

Last edited:
That's getting a little high eh!!

My 395 is 200psi, that was only after the 1st tank, wonder what it is now?? Do you get any run on?? With a big saw and real high compression it'll do that. Mine's a tad slow to come to idle when she gets hot.

No run on or anything strange to talk of, comes back down and idles great. My buddy at the bike shop said it reminded him of his old CR500!! I really didn't work it that hard, 24" bar cutting some 18-20" oak and ash for firewood for next year. I had hopes of using this for milling someday but I think it might be a little too hot for that. I guess I could just fatten her up some....

Diggin' your build, Mike, I'd rep you but (apparently) I can't. I can't even imagine how that thing it to start. After I almost flung mine into my neighbor's yard trying to start it, I decided to take it apart and put the gasket back in. And mine just has GOOD compression, not loony compression!

The 288 is one saw that really needs a decomp.

Yea, you better be hanging onto it and be commited!!! It might end up with the stock gasket back in it down the road, only time will tell.

:cheers:
Mike

No run on or anything strange to talk of, comes back down and idles great. My buddy at the bike shop said it reminded him of his old CR500!! I really didn't work it that hard, 24" bar cutting some 18-20" oak and ash for firewood for next year. I had hopes of using this for milling someday but I think it might be a little too hot for that. I guess I could just fatten her up some....

Ya mines only very minor, not much to worry about.

Very nice build there Mike. I've got 2 288s and absolutely love them, they're by far my favorite. I'll be building my 3rd in the next week or so.... I'd really love to put a pop up in it, just need someone with a lathe. :cry::cry::cry:

They're great saws stock........ but whats the fun in a stock saw?? :chainsaw:

Looks like it was a really fun project, very nice saw you have there.:clap:

Mr. HE:cool:

You seem to have access to some machines, why don't you put in your own de-comp. in the location on the cyl. that has the flat boss cast into the jug where they "should" go ?
I have (2) 288 jugs, one with the decomp. and the other just has the flat where one is supposed to go.

Steve

You seem to have access to some machines, why don't you put in your own de-comp. in the location on the cyl. that has the flat boss cast into the jug where they "should" go ?
I have (2) 288 jugs, one with the decomp. and the other just has the flat where one is supposed to go.

Steve

I'd be real worried about drilling through and busting through the plating?? Don't want that stuff to start flaking.

Yeah I've installed decomps before and it's pretty easy. When you go to drill the actual hole through the cylinder wall, use the tiniest bit that will make it through initially, and heat the cylinder just before you drill that hole. It should work fine.

Steve

If you look at the pictures, there is no "flat" to put a decomp in.....
DSCN2417.jpg

DSCN2426.jpg

Mike

I was thinking more about reducing his high comp.

I'm not really up on the 288's, but I thought they had a decomp?

The early ones did not. Mine doesn't have it, either. It's stock save the muffler mod and I can't drop start it with a "measly" 150 psi compression. You have to be "committed" or you come away empty handed...

Good you mentioned the high compression run-on when hot, parris. I was getting worried I had an air leak on a couple of my Macs...

I had hopes of using this for milling someday but I think it might be a little too hot for that. I guess I could just fatten her up some....

That's the biggest reason I put my gasket back in... not so much because the saw was too hopped up, but because I didn't want to try start the saw repeatedly while it was tangled up in an alaskan and sitting sideways in a log... it's just not easy to get any english on it.

Ultimately, I just kept my eyes out for a jug with the compression release.... poof! She's a miller.

Looks like I'm going to give this another try. Compression has leveled off at 205psi. I guess I'm just being a puss, but I just picked up a very nice cylinder with a decompression port and ordered another piston. I'll keep updating this as I go.

Mike

Getting close...
DSCN2425.jpg

just a quick question, folks. I have a bit trouble with the ignition of this model. As you can see in the pic above, the ignition consists of a ignition coil located next to the flywheel and a separate module located near the carb (blue part).

Is there an alternative ignition that works for this model ? How can the coil or the module be checked if they are working OK. Is there an aftermarket that fits these models ?

I have a few projects but have only succeeded in one ignition to work. Any info appreciated .
thanks in advance

just a quick question, folks. I have a bit trouble with the ignition of this model. As you can see in the pic above, the ignition consists of a ignition coil located next to the flywheel and a separate module located near the carb (blue part).

Is there an alternative ignition that works for this model ? How can the coil or the module be checked if they are working OK. Is there an aftermarket that fits these models ?

I have a few projects but have only succeeded in one ignition to work. Any info appreciated .
thanks in advance

Not sure Belgian, this is my first 288. Hopefully somebody else can take that question.

Hey Mike, what's the difference with the Lite version?

Don't have a good awnser for that one either, I guess less is more.;)

Mike

Back