My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lathe, that's not a problem....thank you though. Now I have something to keep me awake tonight thinking about!

Ok, cylinder is on with .021" squish. I have done 3 heat cycles (no cutting with a few revs) with it on the new piston and lightly honed cylinder, compression currently is 210psi. on a cool engine....:dizzy: I ended up with a .038" pop-up on this piston, boy does this saw sound good!!! I'll try and get some video of it this weekend at the KY GTG.

Ok, cylinder is on with .021" squish. I have done 3 heat cycles (no cutting with a few revs) with it on the new piston and lightly honed cylinder, compression currently is 210psi. on a cool engine....:dizzy: I ended up with a .038" pop-up on this piston, boy does this saw sound good!!! I'll try and get some video of it this weekend at the KY GTG.

I bet it does! Probably pops like crazy setting there idling!

I'd pop a gasket in there to bring down the comp a bit.

It does have a gasket, just a little thinner than the last...if it climbs anymore, I will probably put a thicker one in it. 210psi. is at my limit of comfortable.

what has been done to the exhaust port?

I did widen it just a touch, not a whole lot you can do with the 066 piston in there. Skirts are not as wide as the 288 piston. I did finally turn the deflector around on the muffler though.

I did widen it just a touch, not a whole lot you can do with the 066 piston in there. Skirts are not as wide as the 288 piston. I did finally turn the deflector around on the muffler though.

have you raised it at all? even rasing it the amount you dropped the jug should be fine and will not effect torque....go higher than that and you will probably have to play with the intake as well, which by the sounds of it wont hurt....what about the transfers?

Of course Mike, we really cannot believe anything you're saying. You'll have to post a vid of it idling before we can believe it:greenchainsaw:
Here you go Brad...

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f382/TRI955/288xp/DSCN2593.mp4">

have you raised it at all? even rasing it the amount you dropped the jug should be fine and will not effect torque....go higher than that and you will probably have to play with the intake as well, which by the sounds of it wont hurt....what about the transfers?

I have not touched the roof, floor or the transfers. I might mess with it more later on but for right now it will do.

Maybe I missed the reason but why did you use the 066 piston? Whats the big differences in the pistons, wrist pin locations the same height?

Back